Simple Truck Camper Conversion

atpeace

I travel quite a lot in Thailand and doing it in a camper would simplify things.  I run in races and hotels and transport can be a pain.  For example this week I was unable to book a room for the Buriram marathon.  Also, the races are usually at 3 am in the morning which means waking up at 12.30 am to get there in time.  With a camper, I could park at the race and wake-up at 2 am!

Plan is to purchase a truck like the Kerry Transport trucks you see all over the roads in Thailand.  From the outside it will look like any of the other transport trucks but will add storage and a small platform for a bed.  Also, a solar panel to the roof eventually but initially use a 1000 watt generator to power air condition and electronics.  The AC systems I'm looking at only draw about 350 watts and even the startup watts should not be an issue.

When the police pull me over, I wonder if they are going to hassle me about the interior.  My hope is that you can put whatever you want inside the canopy/box.  Maybe I should register it as a recreational vehicle?

Any info would be appreciated.  I'm really excited about this project and have a habit of overlooking details when in this state.  It would suck to have my camper but unable to take it on the road because of Thai regulations.890918128_kerrytruck.png.25ca85e4a86d01fcd21fbb07dda88c5a.png

2013 chev colorado with perfect box.jfif

• Like 1

That's true, it would be fun to have + relatively easy if you're handy.....

The catch is we can't be licensed for anything deemed "commercial", which they can apply to almost anything....

I've thought the same about building a schoolie type bus....

There's lot's of how to's on YouTube for stealth vans the nomadics use, which could work here....

It'd be neat to have here but there is no infrastructure to support it + it didn't help that the Chinese touring in motorhomes just dumped their blackwater tanks any/everywhere creating outrage.....

Edited by pgrahmm

3 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Interesting project - Are you thinking of making the camper unit yourself or try and buy something off the shelf ? 

I will do myself.  Buying a truck similar to Kerry truck in picture.  Should be easy here in Thailand.  I'll just hire some help when needed and do what I can.  Not great with tools but this should be simple.  A platform for the bed, install AC, and storage.

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

That's true, it would be fun to have + relatively easy if you're handy.....

The catch is we can't be licensed for anything deemed "commercial", which they can apply to almost anything....

I've thought the same about building a schoolie type bus....

There's lot's of how to's on YouTube....

It'd be neat to have here but there is no infrastructure to support it + it didn't help that the Chinese touring in motorhomes just dumped their blackwater tanks any/everywhere.....

School bus would be a no go for a tourist.   Kerry delivery trucks have regular licenses as far as I understand.  I would say 1 out of 10 cars on the freeway are just like the Kerry delivery trucks.

This project seems so simple - I must be missing something.  Very possible!

1 minute ago, atpeace said:

School bus would be a no go for a tourist.   Kerry delivery trucks have regular licenses as far as I understand.  I would say 1 out of 10 cars on the freeway are just like the Kerry delivery trucks.

This project seems so simple - I must be missing something.  Very possible!

Yes, it doable.....A serious build, (shower, compost toilet, water heater, fresh-gray-black water tanks with blade valves, etc) would be hard for proper parts sourcing....The cabinetry, table, beds, storage would be the easy part....

An inverter generator self contained could be done with care - even better if a diesel one is available to run off the main tank....

Solar should be easy here, Amorn carries panels, batteries, & hardware....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Maybe I should register it as a recreational vehicle?

That would be best to do as it could be accessed as a change to the vehicles normal use.

A DLT may make a small charge on inspection but will give you a paper to present to the police if queried by by them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

That would be best to do as it could be accessed as a change to the vehicles normal use.

A DLT may make a small charge on inspection but will give you a paper to present to the police if queried by by them.

Probably buy from a dealer and have them register it.  Hard to find private sellers with truck transport boxes.  Then I'll do my custom interior and solar panels. When finished take to DLT.  Still a little worried DLT will be an issue but realistically don't think it will be a problem.  The custom interior will be very basic.  

Hmmm. I believe that "changing" anything here is not easy. Ie. can register a motorbike with a sidecar but almost impossible to add a sidecar to a previously registered bike. 

That being said should be possible to register said "Kerry" truck as private.

Then as long as you don't want to transport anyone in the back, then you will need windows. 

I have a truck with a cap that has AC in the back. OK the AC is powered by the engine but.. I could quite easily sleep in the back if it were not for the AC limitation. 

There are many places on Phahonyothin Road north of Rangsit who will fit a cap or tall back onto a pickup. Even put the AC in and do some interior upholstery. 

When the project is complete do be mindful of your "new" vehicle height and write it on the dashboard. Google will direct you to many U turns you will not be able to use. 

Edited by VocalNeal

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Hmmm. I believe that "changing" anything here is not easy. Ie. can register a motorbike with a sidecar but almost impossible to add a sidecar to a previously registered bike. 

That being said should be possible to register said "Kerry" truck as private.

Then as long as you don't want to transport anyone in the back, then you will need windows. 

I have a truck with a cap that has AC in the back. OK the AC is powered by the engine but.. I could quite easily sleep in the back if it were not for the AC limitation. 

There are many places on Phahonyothin Road north of Rangsit who will fit a cap or tall back onto a pickup. Even put the AC in and do some interior upholstery. 

When the project is complete do be mindful of your "new" vehicle height and write it on the dashboard. Google will direct you to many U turns you will not be able to use. 

My worry is that if I purchase the cap separately, I'll have registration issues.  Thought it would be easier to purchase a truck that is already registered with the cap.  Good point about the U-turns.  Might try to look for a lower profile and put hinches on the top to make a popup.  Just need enough space for motorbike and not much else.  If I build a platform above the motorbike, I can put a bed and small TV.  On cooler days I could open it up and relax. I think about 100 Cm's lower than the Kerry Delivery truck would be perfect.

10 hours ago, atpeace said:

Still a little worried DLT will be an issue but realistically don't think it will be a problem.

Yep, DLT there OK people, as I said just pay them for the inspection a get your paper to show police if they question use of vehicle if ever you get stopped by them.

No worries don't listen to Thai haters.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:10 PM, pgrahmm said:

Yes, it doable.....A serious build, (shower, compost toilet, water heater, fresh-gray-black water tanks with blade valves, etc) would be hard for proper parts sourcing....The cabinetry, table, beds, storage would be the easy part....

An inverter generator self contained could be done with care - even better if a diesel one is available to run off the main tank....

Solar should be easy here, Amorn carries panels, batteries, & hardware....

Couldn’t he get all the parts from a marine chandler? Sounds as if the requirements for a camper are pretty much those for a boat?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

Couldn’t he get all the parts from a marine chandler? Sounds as if the requirements for a camper are pretty much those for a boat?

Probably many things from marine applications would work - theory is the same....Not sure how much/many custom boat work(s) of that type is in TH......

Registration will be the tough part, a used commercial vehicle would need to be changed to a private use vehicle. You might be better off adding a cap to a private vehicle and then getting that listed in the registration book. I know my wife's cousin came to visit us and because he had other relatives riding in the back and it was a rainy day, I helped him tie a tarp over the back of his pickup to keep them dry, he got pulled over at a check point and had to pay a fine for "having an unlicensed cap".

When I asked him what that meant, he said that his truck was registered as not having a cap.