THINK TWICE before subscribing to thai IO-approved health-insurance

26 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Yet....

Yes point 11.

If they do extend this subject to non-O extensions, then those will become  non-options (in the future)from my Point of view. In the same way as O-A visa I feel is no longer an option.

Permanent existing customers will really be screwed if they don't have a plan B, and that happens. ????

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The only possible plan B would be to buy that insurance <deleted> or leave the country.

Or buy an Elite Visa and enjoy airport transfers in BMW 7 for just 500k - as long as they don't extend their b.s. to that kind of visa too. 

And why would they not include the elite visa in needing insurance too? The elite visa holders are well off and can afford to buy a rip-off health insurance policy...

Thats what I call some low hanging fruit just waiting to pad some ones pocket.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:
8 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

at age 83 the annual premium would be 380.000 THB for a 400.000 THB max coverage

So as you get older it would be possible to be paying more for the premium than you could receive in coverage....If I am understanding this correctly.....

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Probably the thai insurer wouldn't dare to make the annual premium bigger than the coverage it provides (but this is Thailand, so might be possible after all).  But an annual premium of 380.000 THB for a max coverage of 400.000 is already ridiculous enough!

Should such a scenario come about and given that I live to that ripe old age, it will leave my wife and I just 20,000 Baht per month to live on. A daunting prospect.

But I'm not going to worry about it. I very much doubt that it will come to pass and if it did, us old-timers will be 'grandfathered' out of it.

19 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

ut finally there is also some good news, mainly

11.That it is surprisingly simple to switch to another extension-type (e.g. marriage) or convert to a Non Imm O – retirement Visa which when extended has the exact same requirements and conditions as an OA Visa extension.  And in both cases, there is NO requirement for health-insurance…

Edited 19 hours ago by Peter Denis

well the good news might be dependant on which IO Office you use.

it took me and my wife of 14 years plus a friend of hers three days to get my extension based on being Married to a Thai considered.

we then had five police around to the condo and they wanted a signature of someone as witness, and now we wait for a month for their decision.

that is common so i'm told for Chon Buri. 

Edited by zoza
sticking key
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, unheard said:

Very much doubtful.

Their actual losses will be far greater than the potential gains.

By implementing insurance requirement for all non-imm O appliers they would effectively stick a fork in the retirement industry in Thailand.

What would be more likely is a gradual increase in the required amount of parked money in the bank, kept untouched for the duration of the extension - a much more lucrative (for them) arrangement.

Fully agree.

Also many posters assume that Immigration is the driving force behind the health-insurance requirement, while they are only executing (and doing a very bad job at it) what the Ministry of Public Health instigated.

Imo Immigration would actually oppose a further roll-out of the present scheme, as it only means more work for them (with no revenue).

- Border-immigration now has to check OA Visas for issuing date and the health-insurance note when issued after Oct 31, 2019;

- In country Immigration offices have to check OA extension applications for compliance with the health-insurance requirement;

- In country Immigration offices are being faced with OA Visa holders who instead of extending their permission to stay for reason of retirement, switch to marriage Visa or abandon their OA Visa and apply for a Non Imm O Visa/extension.

And not even mentioning the applicants enquiring on their options before applying or being turned down for the health-insurance requirement.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, zoza said:

well the good news might be dependant on which IO Office you use.

it took me and my wife of 14 years plus a friend of hers three days to get my extension based on being Married to a Thai considered.

we then had five police around to the condo and they wanted a signature of someone as witness, and now we wait for a month for their decision.

that is common so i'm told for Chon Buri. 

A Non Imm O - extension for reason of marriage has other requirements than one for reason of retirement, and needs to be approved by divisional headquarters (so takes longer). 

But the main good news is of course that you successfully got rid of the expensive and basically worthless thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement, by switching to an extension for reason of marriage.

And the lower financials to be proven for a marriage-extension are of course an additional bonus.

21 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Exactly. YET!

There is no reason why they would not extend their rule to O-applyers. Amazing, they did not from the start. There's money to be made.

Would almost certainly necessitate a further rewrite of existing police orders, but, with sufficient zeal and gusto which, for all we know, could well exist in the sadistic corridors of power in the Immigration Bureau, could readily be achieved.

2 hours ago, unheard said:

Very much doubtful.

Their actual losses will be far greater than the potential gains.

By implementing insurance requirement for all non-imm O appliers they would effectively stick a fork in the retirement industry in Thailand.

What would be more likely is a gradual increase in the required amount of parked money in the bank, kept untouched for the duration of the extension - a much more lucrative (for them) arrangement.

If the Immigration Bureau were really so sufficiently determined, they could effectively stick a fork in the ability of every non-immigrant aged 50+ period to stay long-term in Thailand, regardless of their original visa type and current extension of stay reason, through said rewrite of existing police orders.

And IMHO the intention to increase the required amount of parked money in the bank for retirement extensions might already have been signalled by the changes introduced a year ago - from 800k seasoned 3 months before extension application to, in effect, year-round seasoning now (800k 2 months before + 3 months after + 400k for the remaining 7 months). One would like to think that the Immigration Bureau would refrain from introducing further increases while the THB remained at its current high level against most Western currencies - but, this being Thailand, this would, by no means, be a given, of course.

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2020 at 7:53 AM, fforest1 said:

at age 83 the annual premium would be 380.000 THB for a 400.000 THB max coverage

So as you get older it would be possible to be paying more for the premium than you could receive in coverage....If I am understanding this correctly.....

I had a  calculation of insurance from KT axa, years ago . start premium (50year) 55.000+27500 special premium for health risk (smoking), an apeal to the quote 3 months laster ends up lower but they want exclude smoking related issues  , it ends up with 75 years at 473.000 THB ..and after no calculation. and even the 473k was under normal conditions calculated ( average inflation  and age)

BUTE THE MAXIMUM COVERAGE NEVER GOES UP STAY SAME ALL TIME

an Insurnace with 400k is worthless.. to low already ..and for example how mch are the 400k worth in 15 years ??  its HALF due to inflation

But your premium will always go up !!

I have since years a insurance with 5MB coverage ( kt axa aplication was for 10mb)and every year wonder , bow much the rise in premium is due to their inflation calculation average 10%.... and that exclude the increase for change age group, and good luck i not sick, waht could lead up to 100% of increase in base premium as well

As best Insurance in Thailand i still recommand KT axa , bcs fair pricing,if you do not have any pre condition and already stay in thailand more than 180 days en row, and if y able to make the free checkup in Bangkokhospital orderd by KT axa...as well no waiting time on critical illness  than and even hiv insured (after 5 yrs)

I wish i would get KT at normal premium , a gemstone under all the other sh*t out here, included my insurance

and a 400k insurance is a money printer for the insurnace, but a full loss for you and worthless..better look out at real insurance, cost a little more, but by far better

Edited by lapamita
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 2:16 PM, Moonlover said:

Should such a scenario come about and given that I live to that ripe old age, it will leave my wife and I just 20,000 Baht per month to live on. A daunting prospect.

But I'm not going to worry about it. I very much doubt that it will come to pass and if it did, us old-timers will be 'grandfathered' out of it.

Grandfathered out of it.  Really, have you been paying attention to those on O-A extensions from prior to October 31, 2019.  Those folks were not grandfathered in, and are now having to show the Thai approved insurance or are being denied there extension of stay.  So if and when it is rolled out to all other Visa categories, prepare to stand by.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Grandfathered out of it.  Really, have you been paying attention to those on O-A extensions from prior to October 31, 2019.  Those folks were not grandfathered in, and are now having to show the Thai approved insurance or are being denied there extension of stay.  So if and when it is rolled out to all other Visa categories, prepare to stand by.....

grandfatherd ???? grandfatherd , maybe on adjusted requierments????

..i learnd what mean grandfatherd ,in 2003/4  under taxin..they cancelld the investment visa, my was grandfatherd, but they told me ..you lucky guy, but must put 3mb thb at 0% to GSB , cannot use normal AC more.

at this time taxsin made a 0% policy for foreigner ( was in place 12 or 18month) my visa would cost at the end intrest loos of 180.000  ( at rate this time 6% average)

give nothing on the word grandfatherd

• Like 2

On 2/12/2020 at 6:50 AM, gk10002000 said:

9. ผู้สมัครเอาประกันภัยจะต้องเป็นผู้ที่มีถิ่นพำ นักอยู่ในประเทศไทยเป็นหลัก หรือขึ้นต่ำ 6 เดือนในช่วงระยะเวลา 12 เดือน / The applicant must be Thai resident or reside in Thailand at least 6 months in 12 months period.

It would be good to read the fine print on some policies.   Make sure what 12 month period they mean. Do they mean any 6 months in any 12 month period going across calendar years? Do they mean 6 months in one calendar year?

Your policy quote as above definitely needs clarification. I could read it as saying that the 12 month period is taken from the date the policy is taken out. It begs the question of when a policy would actually be usable. Hypothetical scenario. Someone obtains an OA visa plus insurance. They come to Thailand for 3 months but for whatever reason have to leave for 3 months. They come back for 2 months and leave again for 2 months.They return to Thailand but 2 weeks later they become unwell. The policy would not cover them. Thus they have paid an insurance premium for 10 months and 2 weeks for nothing. Or am I missing something?   

• Like 2

On 2/12/2020 at 3:40 AM, Peter Denis said:

A Non Imm O - extension for reason of marriage has other requirements than one for reason of retirement, and needs to be approved by divisional headquarters (so takes longer).

So... is there currently a retirement visa for people without Thai spouses, and without the insurance requirement?

4 minutes ago, onebir said:

So... is there currently a retirement visa for people without Thai spouses, and without the insurance requirement?

Yes, it's the Non Imm O - retirement Visa, which many OA Visa holders are presently converting to as that Non Imm O does NOT require health-insurance, when applying for or extending it.  And that's actually the ONLY difference with an OA Visa extension.

>> I PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap outlining all details/options to apply for or convert to that Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2020 at 7:24 AM, unheard said:

And/or make the required amount of parked money in a Thai bank mandatory for all nationalities, which would certainly be more lucrative.

• Like 1