BANGKOK
Peter Denis

THINK TWICE before subscribing to thai IO-approved health-insurance

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

And in both cases, there is NO requirement for health-insurance…

yet.  (seemed appropriate so I added my 2 satang worth)

Edited by MeePeeMai
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Yet....

Yes point 11.

If they do extend this subject to non-O extensions, then those will become  non-options (in the future)from my Point of view. In the same way as O-A visa I feel is no longer an option.

Permanent existing customers will really be screwed if they don't have a plan B, and that happens. 🤑

The only possible plan B would be to buy that insurance <deleted> or leave the country.

Or buy an Elite Visa and enjoy airport transfers in BMW 7 for just 500k - as long as they don't extend their b.s. to that kind of visa too. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The only possible plan B would be to buy that insurance <deleted> or leave the country.

Or buy an Elite Visa and enjoy airport transfers in BMW 7 for just 500k - as long as they don't extend their b.s. to that kind of visa too. 

And why would they not include the elite visa in needing insurance too? The elite visa holders are well off and can afford to buy a rip-off health insurance policy...

Thats what I call some low hanging fruit just waiting to pad some ones pocket.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

at age 83 the annual premium would be 380.000 THB for a 400.000 THB max coverage

So as you get older it would be possible to be paying more for the premium than you could receive in coverage....If I am understanding this correctly.....

Probably the thai insurer wouldn't dare to make the annual premium bigger than the coverage it provides (but this is Thailand, so might be possible after all).  But an annual premium of 380.000 THB for a max coverage of 400.000 is already ridiculous enough!

• Like 1

I understand that the used of an "agent" overcomes the compulsory Insurance requirement, in much the same way it nullifies the financial ones....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:
8 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

at age 83 the annual premium would be 380.000 THB for a 400.000 THB max coverage

So as you get older it would be possible to be paying more for the premium than you could receive in coverage....If I am understanding this correctly.....

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Probably the thai insurer wouldn't dare to make the annual premium bigger than the coverage it provides (but this is Thailand, so might be possible after all).  But an annual premium of 380.000 THB for a max coverage of 400.000 is already ridiculous enough!

Should such a scenario come about and given that I live to that ripe old age, it will leave my wife and I just 20,000 Baht per month to live on. A daunting prospect.

But I'm not going to worry about it. I very much doubt that it will come to pass and if it did, us old-timers will be 'grandfathered' out of it.