JINGJOKS how to get rid of them ??

liddelljohn

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I just take the live and let live course, there's one that lives in my computer desk and sticks his head out to say hello whenever I turn on, he had a lady friend in yesterday!

One did his last excursion to the power supply.

Cost me a new one.

Others seem to have suffered smoked AC control units.

They are everywhere and in fact I found them handy as they try to catch and eat the mosquitoes. We have had a bunch here but since I put eggshells in the ceilings, mothballs in the toolcrats, bugzapper to catch flying insects and there are the dogs grown up here. They are declined to a few. One in the doorbell peekabooing once a day and under the fridge to clean up grains of rice.

Rarely see dumps from them, more from the rats whom come around from next door.

• Like 2

I admit their droppings everywhere is annoying, not to say unhygienic, but I didn't used to mind seeing them around the house,

Then the Smeg technician told me the reason that my oven wasn't working is because jingjoks like the warmth from the electrical circuits, and two had got inside and shorted out the printed circuit board. Cost, THB20,000 and three months wait for delivery.

That's when I started catching them whenever I saw them, and evicting them.

It's a never ending job, but I just can't bring myself to kill them.

And the oven is playing up again. I suspect another jingjok short.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

One did his last excursion to the power supply.

Cost me a new one.

I had halogen lights blowing regularly a while back. Always a fried gecko or gecko eggshells inside the ballast.

Black elecrical tape over th holes and a switch to led sorted that out.

43 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The A/C manufacturers do, finally, seem to have seen the light and used small grilles to keep them out, they do seem to be able to get into spaces they shouldn't mind.

We lost a TV to one unfortunate chap, luckily it was a cheap fix.

• Like 1

If they really burst your bubble, the "sticky" paper they sell at grocery stores for rodents works well.   Quite a few months ago, I set one up for a rodent that got into the house.  I caught the rodent, but unfortunately a couple of my little bug eating buddies were also caught in the portable quagmire of death.  Ruthlessly efficient...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The A/C manufacturers do, finally, seem to have seen the light and used small grilles to keep them out, they do seem to be able to get into spaces they shouldn't mind.

We lost a TV to one unfortunate chap, luckily it was a cheap fix.

Mine wasn't so cheap, a new power board ???? the tech. guy silicone up the entry point that just happens to be a gaping hole in the case when the unit was wall mounted with the standard stand not fitted. 

3 hours ago, canopy said:

Easy. Install screens on all windows and doors.

Absolute waste of Money and effort.

When small, these little critters can get through even the smallest of Gaps ( under doors Etc )

Just live with them, and say thanks to them for keeping down the Ants in your House.

• Like 2

As my house is left empty for extended periods, I used to have to spend hours cleaning up each time I arrived after the little b'stards had roamed free all over my house whilst I was away.  I searched for everywhere to find where they were getting in and blocked each place as I found it. It still made little difference and I had to face their sh*t everytime I arrived. It baffled me, I thought I'd blocked every possible entry point. You would be amazed how/where they get in - the smallest crack is a doorway for them. I've even found dead ones in light switches - they've come down from the loft in through the conduit buried in the render!

At that time my house had the usual cheapo Thai/Chinese sliding plastic windows - the ones with brush seals.  One day I was sat watching TV when I saw a baby jing jock just walk in under the window - through the brush seals!

Since then the house has been refurbished and has uPVC windows and I've been on a 'crusade' against the damned things. I don't particularly like having to sleep in a bed that they've shat on each time I arrive.  I'm now 99.9% jing jock free.  On the odd occasion that they get in now, I think its most likely because my gf has a habit of leaving doors open. Interesting though, that they can get in though aircon units - I'll have to look into that.

I'm not suggesting that you change your windows to get rid of them but if you have windows of the type I mentioned, you won't get rid of them unless you do.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Just seen one peeping out behind a picture frame,

I'm sure he winked at me.

There are worse things creeping about in Pattaya.

Definitely worse things about. Wonder if we can use sticky paper for the soi dogs running around... ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm not suggesting that you change your windows to get rid of them but if you have windows of the type I mentioned, you won't get rid of them unless you do.

I really didn't know that JingJocks were into computers. But I have just updated mine, and none are now visible.   555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

So is riding without a helmet on the wrong side of the road, or burning sugar cane fields, or being a falang without a mask....but who gives a stuff!   555

You know, some of us actually do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to like teasing them with a red laser pointer. although they learn to ignore it in time. There don't seem so many around recently. perhaps this is due to a large increase in feral cats in my neighbourhood. My domestic cats will kill them but not eat them. perhaps feral cats are less fussy. Leave a light on at night in your porch, it attracts insects so attracts geckos. 

1 hour ago, pdtokyo said:

hear hear. sticky traps? you'd need to be a sicko to buy them ... and don't bother listing a buch of other stuff that's 'worse' like burning cane fields, drunk-driving etc ... that's outside your control (unless you happen to be a drunk cane farmer) ... going into a shop and buying a device that is certain to cause slow and agonising death to another creature? that's YOUR decision buddy. 

Bigger picture? geckos were probably there for 10,000 generations before you. Who needs to adapt to who?

Not interested in the bigger picture? Evolve yourself into a modern sterile pest-sprayed concrete sealed-window air-conditioned apartment surrounded by asphalt and other people who imagine they control the environment. You'll be happier and so will the geckos.

Just don't get stuck on the asphalt on a hot day.

Best response yet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

When small, these little critters can get through even the smallest of Gaps ( under doors Etc )

Not if you have door sweeps and weather stripping. My screens are 100% effective. No gaps, no geckos. Love it.