JINGJOKS how to get rid of them ??

liddelljohn

I love them. Have about half a dozen living in our house. Quite happy to let them stay under the fridge or behind the shelf or in some kitchen crevice. They eat the bugs and the ants and the small flies - even caught one eating a cockroach. One certainly has an affliction for chocolate !

But then, I have a relentlessly clean wife who mops and scrubs the floors twice a day !

My advice if you really wanted them gone - get a cat !

7 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Anyone tried the "No Gecko" repellant spray sold in the supermarkets?  I'm sceptical, but would be interested to know if it works?

I was just about to post that, Yep it works I did try it 

I also bought a gadget that plugs in to the electric to keep the rats away and that works also from Homepro and I dont see any Geckos so maybe it works on them

• Thanks 1

... takes me back 39 years...   get a fault reporting call from Air Traffic Control

- "the TACAN is down" 

Get over to the site, and looking inside the cabinet, and see: 

image.jpeg.b5d69a003adac27ef71d6c799a07b872.jpeg 

the ghostly imprint of what used to be a gecko - splayed over what was left of the Modulator rheostat 

well... it was quick

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I was just about to post that, Yep it works I did try it 

I also bought a gadget that plugs in to the electric to keep the rats away and that works also from Homepro and I dont see any Geckos so maybe it works on them

No gecko Doesn’t work for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

Anyone tried the "No Gecko" repellant spray sold in the supermarkets?  I'm sceptical, but would be interested to know if it works?

It does work but it's temporary - from just days to a few weeks.  And if they happen on to an unsprayed area, they will screech to a stop there.  The big negative is the price they want.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I love them. Have about half a dozen living in our house. Quite happy to let them stay under the fridge or behind the shelf or in some kitchen crevice. They eat the bugs and the ants and the small flies - even caught one eating a cockroach. One certainly has an affliction for chocolate !

But then, I have a relentlessly clean wife who mops and scrubs the floors twice a day !

Wot he said ^....we used to have loads of them, then we got a kitten about a year ago, this cat hates/loves them, there are very few left in the house now, and the ones outside are declining rapidly...it patrols around the outside of the house and the garden walls at night relentlessly...anything below 5ft is an instant snack  ????

• Sad 1

They will come in through the smallest holes. I find it's usually the "young'uns" that find the tiny gap in the hole where the compressor hose for your aircon goes through the wall. Or where the TV cable goes through the wall. Or any other hole/vent that has the slightest gap in it. Or in under the eaves and roam around the attic until they find a way into the house.

Mine are frikken annoying. They like to come out onto the kitchen counter and <deleted>/<deleted> in the middle of it, but on the floors they stick to the edge and <deleted> where the wall and floor join.
And despite the window screens (with the rubber guards instead of the brush type) and me plugging every hole I can find with expanding foam, I still find mosquitoes in the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom (mainly) as well as really tiny little black flies (the size of fruit flies or midges but they don't bite) so the jingjoks are not that effective when it comes to getting rid of insects. A couple blasts from a can of insecticide seems to do a better job.

A couple years ago I took some photos and made a thread about one daredevil jingjok I had in the house. Was on the couch watching TV one day when I spotted movement out of the corner of my eye. Then I saw a jingjok on a bookcase. No big deal.

Noticed movement again and saw him on the wall heading to the ceiling. No big deal.

Minute or so later and I see movement again and it's the same jingjok, this time on the edge of the counter the TV sits on. I started taking pictures and sure enough, the little <deleted> made his way up the wall to the ceiling and then apparently jumped..........
onto the ceiling fan which then flung him off ! This time he landed on the floor by the bottom of the bookcase and scooted around behind it. Didn't see him again after that. 

He must have went up the wall and jumped onto the fan at least 3 times. Maybe the start of an evolutionary trend that will see "flying jongjoks" in the future like we have flying squirrels now !

6 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Its rubbish dont waste your money I bought two sprays, they do not work. I have a real smart one that starts its chirping noise like an alarm clock just before sunrise and wakes us up.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kinnock said:

It worked in the short term, we found this one better and is the one we now use all the time and find it very effective. We dont mind them, but we like to keep some areas free of them and this does just that. We choose to buy the pk 6 as that lasts and represents the best value.This does not kill them, it just keeps them away.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/250-6-i131899560-s140963374.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.40dd2de5X7GAXi&search=1

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2020 at 6:32 AM, Crossy said:

You'll never really get rid of the little guys, and they do eat mozzies and other bugs.

Mothballs will discourage them from entering spaces where you really don't want them (like Madam's knick-knack cabinet).

Remove their food source and they won't bother, so good mozzie screens. 

Also, the tokay gekkos eat them, they produce fewer (but larger) pooh and are very loud at night (they also bite!).

I just take the live and let live course, there's one that lives in my computer desk and sticks his head out to say hello whenever I turn on, he had a lady friend in yesterday!

very funny reading   amusing  

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Is there an end to this strategy - what do you get to rid yourself of the cat? A python?

On 2/11/2020 at 7:36 AM, Metropolitian said:

They are everywhere and in fact I found them handy as they try to catch and eat the mosquitoes. We have had a bunch here but since I put eggshells in the ceilings, mothballs in the toolcrats, bugzapper to catch flying insects and there are the dogs grown up here. They are declined to a few. One in the doorbell peekabooing once a day and under the fridge to clean up grains of rice.

Rarely see dumps from them, more from the rats whom come around from next door.

Can't buy mothballs anymore or any thing that actually kills them they seemed to be banned here in the Netherlands or the whole EU.

You might want to Google it before you fill your house with poisonous fumes.just saying.

I can't believe there are people upset about being inhumane to pests. They aren't human so by definition it is impossible to be inhumane to them. The thing is I really like being cruel to pests. If they don't want to get treated cruelly then the should stop being a pest and stay out of my home. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Be careful that you avoid being sneezed on by a Jingjok, they carry a lot of bacteria and it is possible you could catch the hemidactylus virus, this virus could then mutate when transferred to humans as viruses have been know too. Thailand does not need another mutated virus.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Funny I have them [screens] and they still get in.

As stated already you may need weather stripping and/or door sweeps. Eliminate the gaps, they don't get in. Should be obvious, so I don't know why this is so hard for some people to get their head around.

I have no screens and I love the way they ruthlessly gobble anyhting that comes near them. I turn the balcony lights on sometimes to attract them munchies and such.  Noisy bastids though, and I have a Tokay outside that truly is a fat hawg that curses 3 times a night.

18 minutes ago, canopy said:

As stated already you may need weather stripping and/or door sweeps. Eliminate the gaps, they don't get in. Should be obvious, so I don't know why this is so hard for some people to get their head around.

Windows and doors are only two ingress points. With most homes, they come through the ceiling light fixtures or any little crack. You are simply lucky if your efforts seem to block them. 

• Confused 1