Are you an underachiever?

WineOh

3 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I kind of agree with you. however i find that after a while it gets boring. as does sitting in the bar all day.

Boredom is a state of mind, get out of the bar,

theres heaps of stuff to do here, if you can't

find anything, theres always Butlins in Bognor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Boredom is a state of mind, get out of the bar,

theres heaps of stuff to do here, if you can't

find anything, theres always Butlins in Bognor.

That's a loooooooooooong flight for the odd dirty weekend....????

I'm a gross underachiever... every time I've stuck my head above the parapet to try and get ahead, I've been shot down, by my a tiny noisy slimy minority, seething with professional jealousy. They did great harm, to more people than they realised, and they were allowed to get away with it, facilitated even.

Should have achieved far more by now, but the attacks never stop. I have to hide any success now, the cost of getting where I am was way too high, but the alternative paths were way worse. The few successes I have managed to smuggle past my enemies, have helped me help myself when needed. Very tired of it all now.

Don't really have much motivation or energy left, but I can at least distract myself and others from the futile monotony of existence with vile immature jokes. Glad to be out of the UK at last, and as long as I can get to the end of what I'm writing, I am not really bothered about anything else. "desire creates suffering", Buddha said.

Edited by codebunny

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I always felt the purpose of life was to have sex with as many fertile women as many times as possible.

Although I do understand some men think the purpose of life is to gather as much money and toys as possible.

If you want money and toys, Thailand is not the place for you.

If you want sex and the chance of reproduction, it most certainly is.

By only managing to reproduce 5 times (that i know of), I do feel I have underachieved, and if I could do it all again, I would spend less time earning, and more time banging.

As Attila the Hun used to say,

"There is no greater reward in life than lying with the wives and daughters of your recently dead enemies, and riding their horses"

First let me say that the OP premise is wrong IMO, I am sure there are plenty of barstool huggers , but all of the expats I know here in Thailand do not fit that category. some meet in a bar as a central place where they get together, but that is not the main part of their lives.

Your reply is clever and entertaining, and I enjoyed reading it. but i am sure you you are also a lot more than that.

The question goes something like this, "what came first, the chicken or the egg" and the answer is "the egg, the chicken is simply the eggs idea of how to make another egg" 

Procreation being a survival mechanism, has become the premier strategy of all species,

But unlike other animals we have transcend the above  paradigme, and have developed the additional survival mechanism of a desire for discovery, and an ability to transmit such discovery to future generations so that it does not die with you, and that they might ,by their own discoveries build upon your discovery, It is called progress. 

If you might, another form of procreation.

So being simply a baby making machine is only half the plan , and as any half baked plan  has not worked well for many species, on the extinct, and endangered list. 

So the short answer is  Yes, those who spend their whole time Hugging a bar, or for that matter doing the same thing every day, regardless what that thing is , are underachievers by definition,   

Edited by sirineou

Just now, BritManToo said:

I haven't.

I am sure you have, but if you have not, say hello to the Dodos from me. :tongue:

PS: I am not calling you a Dodo, From your posts I am sure you are an intelligent man,  simply part of an unsuccessful strategy also employed by the Dodos and countless other species  on the dustbin of extinction history.

Just now, sirineou said:

I am sure you have, but if you have not, say hello to the Dodos from me. :tongue:

PS: I am not calling you a Dodo, From your posts I am sure you are an intelligent man,  simply part of an unsuccessful strategy also employed by the Dodos and countless other species  on the dustbin of extinction history.

I've got 5 kids, how many do you have?

Or are you counting your success by money and toys?

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

I've got 5 kids, how many do you have?

Or are you counting your success by money and toys?

Nowhere did I claim I was successful. 

I have only one kid, , She is now studying at University  for a legal career and is a straight A student,  so perhaps quality over quantity might be another strategy for success.    

35 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Nowhere did I claim I was successful. 

I have only one kid, , She is now studying at University  for a legal career and is a straight A student,  so perhaps quality over quantity might be another strategy for success.    

All mine are straight A students, including a Thai girl I took in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

All mine are straight A students, including a Thai girl I took in.

You are a good man and i commend you. Nothing wrong with being a good family man. 

My only point in my original reply , that we are much more than procreation machines,    as I am sure you also are.  

Even though I replied to your post, I was not singling you out, I simply used your post to make the above point. but made sure to mention that the OP did not accurately describe most expats I know, and that I was sure it did not describe you. despite of your very entertaining original post, I am sure you are not a one trick pony. Please forgive me if it sounded critical, it was not my intend. ,  

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

do you ever feel like you are wasting your life here in Thailand? ever feel like the clock is running out 1 minute at a time, and all you have got planned in your diary is another night on the bar stool? You see the same old faces, day in day out. Same old decrepit, toothless beer-bellied washouts at your local, sipping their way into an early coffin whilst eyeing up their equally washed up female counterparts dotted along the soi.. spouting the same old mindless spiel about god knows who and god knows what. then all of a sudden, to lighten up the day, some tanned middle aged bloke covered in forearm tattoos walks past your patch at the bar, shirt torn from a fight 5 minutes previous with eyes glazed and a bust lip and proceeds to stumble into your favorite bar, then vomits at your feet before muttering something incoherent and laughing as if it's all just a big joke,,, What has your life become? where did it all go wrong? Have you achieved all you wish in this life, or have you severely underachieved??

tis the question on my lips today.

Wow, you live in a completely different Pattaya to me. I honestly didn't realise that there are so many washed up scousers living here.

I visit a bar max once per week and spend 2 or 3 hours there. Any more would be boring and such a waste of time. Tonight I've been to a Thai friend's birthday party, a dozen people in a local restaurant. Only one other farang and I didn't sit near him as he's really boring (Dutch). Had a great time.

Only person recently to vomit on my feet, literally, was a Thai girl who was off her face but soo sexy (until the puke started flowing).

Some people seem to have the impression that to live amongst Thais you have to live in Nakon Nowhere. So untrue, you can have that life right here in Pattaya if that's what you want. I don't talk to ferangs from one month to the next (probably why I spend time on this forum 555).

I have the best of both worlds in Pattaya, live amongst Thais, eat Thai food and go to Thai partys (aint no party like an Issan party!). When the mood takes me I can find a wide range of European foods (currently rapped on a local Swedish restaurant) more so than in my own home town in the UK. Ausssie pies, who'd a thunk that Aussies could make better pies than Wigan pie eaters? Also have a world of girly bars to choose from for the occasional adult entertainment.

Pattaya rocks, I really want to spend the rest of my life here. Have I under achieved? I have done far more than I could have ever imagined when I was 18. My current life feels like I'm taking it easy. Never played centre forward for Manchester United though, doubt it's going to happen now.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

With the seemingly considerable amount of time that you have spent having sex in your life , you just dont seem satisfied . 

Have you ever considered that you may not be doing it right or theres something missing ? 

Yea mate, give the blunkies a try. It's the next big thing in Pattaya, you don't even need to get a room.

14 hours ago, thequietman said:

Great, but long term ??

Yes there are concerns longer term but is it not true that our home governments could easily change the whole scenario in terms of older citizens?

I'm well aware that in my home country the GOP equivalent government would, if they could get away with it, reduce / cancel benefits for older citizens, most of whom have worked hard for a lifetime and contibuted to getting the country to where it is today and paid sizeable taxes along the way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Some people seem to have the impression that to live amongst Thais you have to live in Nakon Nowhere. So untrue, you can have that life right here in Pattaya if that's what you want.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at one of your Thai shin digs to hear all the sly digs they give the drunk farang in the corner ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Wow, you live in a completely different Pattaya to me. I honestly didn't realise that there are so many washed up scousers living here.

I visit a bar max once per week and spend 2 or 3 hours there. Any more would be boring and such a waste of time. Tonight I've been to a Thai friend's birthday party, a dozen people in a local restaurant. Only one other farang and I didn't sit near him as he's really boring (Dutch). Had a great time.

Only person recently to vomit on my feet, literally, was a Thai girl who was off her face but soo sexy (until the puke started flowing).

Some people seem to have the impression that to live amongst Thais you have to live in Nakon Nowhere. So untrue, you can have that life right here in Pattaya if that's what you want. I don't talk to ferangs from one month to the next (probably why I spend time on this forum 555).

I have the best of both worlds in Pattaya, live amongst Thais, eat Thai food and go to Thai partys (aint no party like an Issan party!). When the mood takes me I can find a wide range of European foods (currently rapped on a local Swedish restaurant) more so than in my own home town in the UK. Ausssie pies, who'd a thunk that Aussies could make better pies than Wigan pie eaters? Also have a world of girly bars to choose from for the occasional adult entertainment.

Pattaya rocks, I really want to spend the rest of my life here. Have I under achieved? I have done far more than I could have ever imagined when I was 18. My current life feels like I'm taking it easy. Never played centre forward for Manchester United though, doubt it's going to happen now.

Dirty city and beaches. I thought you lefties hated pollution.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, UbonThani said:

Dirty city and beaches. I thought you lefties hated pollution.

Lefties, loonies, tinfoil hats, uneducated. Is it too much to hope for some originality in the insults/labels you dish out on TV?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Lefties, loonies, tinfoil hats, uneducated. Is it too much to hope for some originality in the insults/labels you dish out on TV?

Sorry that the truth hurts you. Actually not sorry, I simply don't care about your tin foil hat theories.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, transam said:

But you may one day give drinking up....????

I only intended to compliment the OP for capturing a sentiment that I'm sure others have felt as well. I didn't mean for my post to be a dig at people who drink or like to go to bars, but I can see now how it could have been interpreted that way. My apologies to anyone who might have been offended.

Edited by Gecko123

I did feel like I was wasting my life, but not for the reasons the op mentioned. 

So that was why I left 8 years ago. No regrets whatsoever. My life has improved so much since leaving. Now visit every 2 months for a holiday and it's great. 

Don't ever want to live in Thailand all year round ever again. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 6:45 AM, bermondburi said:

I did feel like I was wasting my life, but not for the reasons the op mentioned. 

So that was why I left 8 years ago. No regrets whatsoever. My life has improved so much since leaving. Now visit every 2 months for a holiday and it's great. 

Don't ever want to live in Thailand all year round ever again. 

Sounds good. Holidays skip most of the negative stuff.

Cheap flights if no luggage.