Thailand reports new case of coronavirus, total now 33

webfact

Thailand reports new case of coronavirus, total now 33

By Panarat Thepgumpanat

2020-02-11T061810Z_1_LYNXMPEG1A0I6_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-HEALTH-THAILAND.JPG

A man wears a mask as a preventive measure against the coronavirus outbreak, in Bangkok, Thailand February 7, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand has recorded one new case of coronavirus, bringing the total in the country to 33 since January, a health ministry official said on Tuesday.

The new case is a 54-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan who was quarantined after coming into contact with another Chinese virus patient while in Thailand, said Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchia, the director-general of the Department of Disease Control.

"The 33rd patient got sick from contact and her condition is not severe," Suwanchai said.

People who had come into contact with her were under observation, he added.

Ten of the infected people have recovered and returned home, while 23 are still being treated in hospital. Over 1,000 people in China have died from the virus but Thailand has not recorded a fatality so far.

Thailand has not imposed any bans on tourists or travelers to the country since the outbreak of the virus, though it is screening passengers on flights from China on arrival and requires a health certificate to enter the country from China.

However, the government has barred passengers from Holland America's cruise ship MS Westerdam from disembarking, the health minister said on Tuesday.

Holland America, owned by Miami-based Carnival Corp <CCL.N> says no one on board has the virus. Media reports say the ship carries 1,455 passengers and 802 crew, its voyage started in Singapore and its original destination was Yokohama, Japan.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Kim Coghill)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-11

Coronavirus infections in Thailand rise to 33 after Chinese woman tests positive

By THE NATION

800_03d428fc554371c.jpg?v=1581405100

Dr Suwanchai (center)

The number of coronavirus infections in Thailand has risen to 33 after a Chinese woman aged 54 tested positive for the virus, the Department of Disease Control said at a press conference today (February 11).

“The latest patient had close relations with a previously infected person,” director-general Dr Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai said. “They are Chinese tourists from Wuhan who left the city before it was placed under lockdown by the government.”

According to Suwanchai, the latest patient has been put under a 14-day quarantine at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute after officials learned that she had physical contact with the infected person.

“The patient was reportedly displaying symptoms such as fever and coughing since February 6 and was later confirmed infected with the new coronavirus,” he said. “However, this case is not unexpected as the patient was under a higher risk of infection, being close to an infected person.”

Although having tested positive, her condition is gradually improving as doctors have treated her symptoms at an early stage, he added. And since she has been quarantined early, doctors are positive that she has no chance of infecting others.

As of today, the number of confirmed infected patients in Thailand currently under hospital care is 23, most of whom are starting to recover. Ten patients, who completely recovered, have been discharged.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381948

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-11
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

And diagnosis backlog unknown. These numbers mean very little when you don't have the capacity or will to do the lab tests.

So by 'will' are you suggesting that lab tests which could be performed are deliberately not being performed?

• Confused 1

On 2/11/2020 at 2:40 PM, smedly said:

so this Chinese person has only had contact with one other person the whole time in Thailand ?

If I was to say what I want to say in response to this article it would be deleted 

I'm sure people have a good idea what I'm getting at

If the Thai medical bosses count numbers as well as TAT then we are all <deleted>!!????????????????

Edited by metisdead
Edited for profanity
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have been hanging on the end of my seat waiting to hear of a farang having it in Thailand, because I am sure the Health Minister will be beating his drums again, no doubt won't be able to contain himself.

Meanwhile, 33 confirmed cases in a country of close to 70 million. I'm not shaking in my shoes just yet.

• Thanks 1

really have to wonder who is organizing these figures, over 1,000 have died from it in china with figures of infected rising rapidly yet here in Thailand where they are welcoming more infected chinese they are telling us the figures are holding steady. Obviously with the infected english prisoner being outed in the UK as having it there has to be more prisoner/guards in thai jails with it but they are not being declared as yet, why, is the govt more concerned with tourist numbers than their citizens lives/health, definitely looks like it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seajae said:

Obviously with the infected english prisoner being outed in the UK as having it there has to be more prisoner/guards in thai jails with it but they are not being declared as yet, why

He (and another) haven't been confirmed, testing for it at the moment. Even if positive, he could have just as easily picked it up on the flight as in the monkey house.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has not imposed any bans on tourists or travelers to the country since the outbreak of the virus, though it is screening passengers on flights from China on arrival and requires a health certificate to enter the country from China.

However, the government has barred passengers from Holland America's cruise ship MS Westerdam from disembarking, the health minister said on Tuesday.

Welcome to Thailand!

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Meanwhile, 33 confirmed cases in a country of close to 70 million. I'm not shaking in my shoes just yet.

Probably in the hundreds waiting for diagnosis in the undisclosed backlog. The actual number of infected among them is likely also over 100. Outside that group likely a few thousand. 

MoPH will just wait and let the <deleted> hit the fan until they simply can't cover it up anymore.

• Like 1

Why does Australia, the UK Canada and a host of other countries. continue to operate the VFS Gobal data Bio-Metric collection centres?

Following the nCornaVirus outbreak these data collection centres are a serious risk of contamination akin to an airport check-in or departure lounge.

Sources of contamination includes crowded waiting rooms. Lifts, Air-conditioning, document handling and the bio collection data (Fingerprints) recording equipment )

These centres are not required as Thailand has already collected bio-metric data in issuing ePassports since 2013. Any documents required can be submitted online.  

The recent outbreak of the nCoronavirus adds further concern as these data collection centres are a serious risk for infection.

Thousands of visa applicants attend these centres every day. (Not just Thai Citizens) It is not just Australia but many other States/Countries collect and require this outdated information.

A perfectly healthy citizens attends one of these centres and could realistically contract the virus and then soon travel.

https://youtu.be/IMRcswme3aQ?t=1920

These centres are just as much as a risk as an airport check-in or waiting lounge. Given that those attending are intending to travel the risk of spreading the virus is even greater

Edited by OffshoreMig
  • Haha 1