Thailand reports new case of coronavirus, total now 33

webfact

58 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Gosh...33!! That is almost one in 500,000 people.

Anyone know of a safe route that I can follow from my condo to Villa. 

I desperately need some Thai made mozzarella for some lasagna. 

It's a crisis!

Rooster

Perhaps they can email it?

11 minutes ago, CGW said:

massive increases exponentially, yet the graph on the site shows a flattening trend! ????

Probably running out of room for taking samples they could diagnose, if they had the capacity to do the tests. They are running into hard limits, the numbers just reflect that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Now we have news of a British criminal with the infection who was in a Thai jail.  He travelled to Britain on a commercial airliner and probably has infected hundreds of other people.    Yes, let the Chinese come to Thailand....what could possibly go wrong!  ????

Watch "BREAKING: Coronavirus 'superspreader' named" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/uj8FkwARD2E

So the mortality rate is somewhere between 1% and 3% I gather. Let's say 2%.

All us retirees are on average in our 60's+ ( 50 to 80+)

We are also the demographic hardest hit by this new Coroana virus, so what do we think the mortality rate is for us? I'll take a stab at 10% though I suppose it could be anywhere between 3% and 15%.

Nobody has specified or even discussed  the mortality  rate for the age range most of us retired ex-pats inhabit, but it's not going to be the current lower numbers (1% - 3%) we hear of!

Edited by twix38
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Gosh...33!! That is almost one in 500,000 people.

Anyone know of a safe route that I can follow from my condo to Villa. 

I desperately need some Thai made mozzarella for some lasagna. 

It's a crisis!

Rooster

Update: 1.31 pm

After a dramatic pincer movement to avoid a person with suspicious foreign features, I managed to get some Thai made mozzarella (90 baht) and, a bonus, I got home without contracting even a cold!

Will update later when I have braved the soi to fetch the children from school, that incredibly is still open. 

Sky is reporting that Corona Vid ( I think) is now more dangerous than terrorism after someone in Brighton had some sniffles.

Stay safe. 

Rooster

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps they can email it?

Naturally I contacted them before to see if that was possibly; incredibly they said it was not and though they are working on a teleporting facility at Villa , it will not be ready until next week. 

Thanks for your concern in these difficult times. 

Rooster

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Probably running out of room for taking samples they could diagnose, if they had the capacity to do the tests. They are running into hard limits, the numbers just reflect that.

This article says pretty much the same thing:- https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/coronavirus-why-hong-kong-doesnt-have-far-more-confirmed-cases-than-singapore

23 hours ago, DrTuner said:

According to CNN's headline thread Taiwan just added Thailand to it's travel advisory. Mingle with the pariahs and you'll become one. Expect more of the same from other countries.

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-11-20-intl-hnk/index.html

'Thailand: Taiwanese authorities raised the travel alert to Thailand to level one, urging people heading there to "adhere to local preventive measures." The country has confirmed 33 coronavirus cases.'

It's about time other countries started doing the same 

3 hours ago, ifmu said:

or reported ???? 

I don't want to go down the conspiracy theory route, but as others have said, it does seem odd that a country with extremely high exposure to potentially infected Chinese travellers has so few confirmed cases. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KruZik said:

I don't want to go down the conspiracy theory route, but as others have said, it does seem odd that a country with extremely high exposure to potentially infected Chinese travellers has so few confirmed cases. 

Could it be the virus doesn't like tropical temperatures?

2 hours ago, KruZik said:

How is that a conspiracy theory lol.  Loosen up.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:36 AM, Grumpy John said:

Now we have news of a British criminal with the infection who was in a Thai jail.  He travelled to Britain on a commercial airliner and probably has infected hundreds of other people.    Yes, let the Chinese come to Thailand....what could possibly go wrong!  ????

Reported in UK MSM as testing negative. False alarm!

I do quarterly appointments to Bumrungrad Hospital for blood work, etc. and renew my medications. My next visit is on March 4, 2020. I'm wondering if I should cancel the appointment for a later date considering the fact that some Coronavirus patients may be housed at the hospital. Any opinions?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, streetlite said:

I do quarterly appointments to Bumrungrad Hospital for blood work, etc. and renew my medications. My next visit is on March 4, 2020. I'm wondering if I should cancel the appointment for a later date considering the fact that some Coronavirus patients may be housed at the hospital. Any opinions?

Don't enter the rooms where they keep the COVID-19 patients.

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, webfact said:

"The 33rd patient got sick from contact and her condition is not severe," Suwanchai said.

People who had come into contact with her were under observation, he added.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:40 PM, smedly said:

so this Chinese person has only had contact with one other person the whole time in Thailand ?

If I was to say what I want to say in response to this article it would be deleted 

I'm sure people have a good idea what I'm getting at

And everything you have to say would be alarmist dreck, simply becuase you lack the inability to read a simple news article and jump to whatever conclusion fits your current bias.

49 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

And everything you have to say would be alarmist dreck, simply becuase you lack the inability to read a simple news article and jump to whatever conclusion fits your current bias.

was it something I said lol

seems you a leaning towards psychotic drivel  

49 minutes ago, streetlite said:

That is a ridiculous answer. If you have nothing to offer why respond? It's people like you that makes aking a serious question impossible. I will now call you an "expletive" so I don't get a suspension. You fool.

My previous response was somewhat tongue-in-cheek (sorry that that offended you), but it was actually seriously meant.

Let me try again without any attempt of humour: You asked for opinions. My opinion is that as long as you avoid contact with any COVID-19 patients there is no reason for you to not keep your appointment.

18 hours ago, losworld said:

How is that a conspiracy theory lol.  Loosen up.

Because those who are partial to conspiracy theories usually ascribe sinister motives to events - in this case, the static or barely-changing  number of people diagnosed with the virus

In Vietnam, official media reported that a village of 10,000 north-west of the capital, Hanoi, had been put in lockdown because of a cluster of cases there.

The online newspaper VN Express cited a senior official of Vinh Phuc province as reporting an increase in cases in the Son Loi commune.

Vietnam has confirmed 16 cases, most of them in the province.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/13/coronavirus-latest-updates-deaths-in-china-pass-1300-with-jump-in-cases-live-news?page=with:block-5e453cd48f086a28115ab000#liveblog-navigation

Apparently, it was a Viet student who studied in Wuhan who introduced the virus to her family and neighbors. Vietnam doesn't give tourist visa to Chinese people and people who were in China in the last 2 weeks. They also stopped flights with continental China.

Vietnam is way stricter than Thailand, putting a whole small town under quarantine. I am quite amazed how Thailand is still resisting with open borders. The next 2 weeks might see a big change. We'll see.

Edited by El Matador