Concertina door

Golden Triangle

I am looking to get a Concertina door fitted, I don't wan't anything pricey as I only rent, for some unknown reason the house has no door between the main lounge and the kitchen, why the landlord would want this I have no idea.

Anyhow, the situation is as follows, we have A/C in the lounge but never use it because of the gaping hole into the kitchen, sure we can shut the kitchen door (to the outside world) but we have single glazed louvre windows in the kitchen that are a total waste of space and any cool air would just leak out of them, besides, that means that the A/C in the lounge is trying to cool an area larger than it was designed for.

So in effect I am looking for a cheap way to stop expensive cold air being wasted into the kitchen and thought a Concertina door would do the trick, I have had a quick look via google but would value any thoughts of alternatives that might do the job, I might add that they need to be easy to fit as I have no DIY skills whatsoever.

Thanks in advance ???? 

Concern with concertina door would be sealing. Have you considered a second hand (or new) glass sliding door? Labour to install and build up the wall / lintel above would probably be minimal, depending on your walls and ceiling height etc.

7 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Concern with concertina door would be sealing.

You are absolutely correct in that it will not seal well but that’s not really a problem. 

Over the last couple of weeks our new family member has been sick, she lost about 15% of her body weight in 4 day when she stopped eating (after treatment she regained that plus about another 5~10%) so we decided that she could sleep with us during the night, but she still needed to be able to get up to eat and drink. (We are air conditioning our bedroom to 22~23 degrees at night.) to allow access we left the bedroom door about 20~30cm open and it has had no significant effect on the time the AC spends on higher power. Now she is back to full health she has started playing with our curtain rods and curtains in the middle of the night so is shut out then again no difference seen with the AC.

So short form the big area blocked off by something, even a folding screen will be more than enough.

Kitten tax

early picture sleeping, in a strange position, kitten 

099B4E7B-61ED-4528-8391-208444D62190.jpeg.8190f908c5ec555d0e5351dd7856a9a9.jpeg

while she was running a fever, she got under by herself we didn’t cover her up.7859BACD-88F9-4696-8C14-A5492DE8E453.jpeg.928990a278a51cf5e2c5c7b64f488934.jpeg

Now fully recovered

• Like 1

Some drapes that can slide to the side should do the trick.  

Woody, that video is almost exactly the daily routine my wife goes through with the cat that adopted us 4 months ago.  Our cat likes to hide and sneak attack and then do the dance.  Vet says she has FeLV but after injection and some pills, she is pretty much a normal cat for a few months now.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Some drapes that can slide to the side should do the trick.  

Woody, that video is almost exactly the daily routine my wife goes through with the cat that adopted us 4 months ago.  Our cat likes to hide and sneak attack and then do the dance.  Vet says she has FeLV but after injection and some pills, she is pretty much a normal cat for a few months now.  

Yes a curtain would probably be the easiest and will certainly do the job.

You she was lucky that she adopted you and could be treated though you should be aware that 

Unfortunately, there is currently no definitive cure for FeLV. Veterinarians treating and managing FeLV-positive cats showing signs of disease usually treat specific problems (like prescribing antibiotics for bacterial infections, or performing blood transfusions for severe anemia).

Prognosis
Although a diagnosis of FeLV can be emotionally devastating, it is important to realize that cats with FeLV can live normal lives for prolonged periods of time. The median survival time for cats after FeLV is diagnosed is 2.5 years. Once a cat has been diagnosed with FeLV, careful monitoring of weight, appetite, activity level, elimination habits, appearance of the mouth and eyes, and behavior is an important part of managing this disease. Any signs of abnormality in any of these areas should prompt immediate consultation with a veterinarian.

Source of quoted text

Maybe the cat adopting people thing is an Udon Thani specialty ???? as ours came the same way.

Lotto is going in to be spayed, much to the oral relief of SWMBO, on Saturday all being well.

Steve? I just realised that you had to choose a nickname, not really suitable I think, so I’ve updated my details to include my real name.

@bankruatsteve kitten tax.

Edited by sometimewoodworker