Blue Book requirement for Thai Passport

Sorry if it has been discussed before.

I'm 33yo Half Thai (Mother) / English, and i'm currently going through the initial process of obtaining my Thai Passport/ID Card. One of the requirements from what I understand, is that once a Passport has been issued, I am to have my name added to a Blue book (one which my mother has her name on also). 

My question is - as we're both currently UK based, is it possible to have it added without me travelling to a local amphur (or similar)? I've read conflicting information, such as my mother not being required due to my age and that it may well be possible to nominate someone on my behalf. If anyone has experienced anything similar or has any information regarding this it'd be much appreciated.

I suppose it's not all bad if I have to be present - any excuse to return to the "motherland" ????

Thanks

What do you wish to achieve? Afaik when you apply for a passport in the UK all you have to do is show some proof that you are Thai, no blue book registration required. Would also not make much sense, because the blue book is to register people who are living in this property, but you are obviously not living there.

• Like 1

In Thailand You go to the Passport offices with your blue book and Thai id card.They will do all the paperwork and Photos, takes about 10 days to process  unless you pay for express and they will deliver . 

In the UK ring the Thai Embassy and speak to them, My Wife's Thai friend had been in the UK for years and her Thai passport was expired, she did not bother with British citizenship, (Bit stupid)  she had been in the UK for 30 years , she got a Thai passport without a blue book,

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

i think that as you were born in the UK, you need to obtain a Thai passport in the UK, its an Easy process, but requires going to London.

you will have  to then go to Thailand, be put in a house book and then obtain Thai id card.

• Like 1

In future it is also required to go all the way back to "the local office" to do Name changes, eg if getting married.

The local office dragged out the ID card process, years ago,  even though everything was in order, until more than the standard fee was given. The Daughter does not really want to go back to that office. Even speculated on buying a cheap appartment elsewhere!

You have to change the ID card, then change the Thai passport, before the British passport can be changed.

The in-laws thought it strange the Daughter was not changing her name, until the complexity was explained.

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 1

Several of my kids did exactly as you are attempting and they were required to be present in Thailand and added to the Blue Book. One child managed to get a Thai birth certificate from the Thai Embassy in Washington DC but that was a long and complicated process and his mother had to apply in person for him. I suggest a trip to Thailand to accomplish your goal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They will only issue the first passport when the birth registration is done. After that a child needs to be registered in a house book to get a new one.

So Thailand does not issue passports to Thai citizens who are officially living abroad? Sounds kind of strange.

• Like 1

a Thai/UK born in the UK, must be registered in the UK within a 42 days, so that birth cert/registration should be used for a Thai passport at the embassy in London, with some other documentation i would assume.

Anything in Thailand, house book, id card, would have to be done in Thailand

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jackdd said:

So Thailand does not issue passports to Thai citizens who are officially living abroad? Sounds kind of strange.

They will issue a passport but the person applying must meet the requirements to get one.

The house book registry has to be done to get a Thai ID number if born outside the country.

• Like 2

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/82037-Birth-&-Death-Registration.html#1

If mum is going London with you and has her blue book and I.D. card, you should be Ok, to get the Passport and Birth Cert.

I would take your Father's Death Cert.

""If the child was born before 1st  March, 1992 (B.E. 2535)
1.  Complete forms in section 2 above and prepare documents as in sections 3.2 or 3.3 or 3.4. 
2.  For UK, Full Birth Certificate must be prior-certified by the Legalisation Office, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). For Republic of Ireland, Full Birth Certificate must be prior-certified by the Department of Foreign Affairs in Ireland.
3.  The original of the Full Birth Certificate will be kept for the record at the embassy.
4.  Father and mother are required to come in person if requesting registration of births before 1992.
5.  The fee is £10 in cash and only Bank of England bank notes will be accepted.""

You should email them to clarify point 4. ( Your Fathers Death Cert may also have to be Legalised???)

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

You could also check if the mobile consular service is visiting your area, on the Embassy website/ facebook page.

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They will issue a passport but the person applying must meet the requirements to get one.

The house book registry has to be done to get a Thai ID number if born outside the country.

It seems to be registered in a house book is a requirement, but to be registered in a house book he would have to be living there (at least according to law, practically nobody cares).

So objectively Thailand is denying to issue a passport for a Thai citizen born and living abroad, unless he breaks the law in Thailand. (and forcing him to make a trip to Thailand)

Well, i guess TIT.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It seems to be registered in a house book is a requirement, but to be registered in a house book he would have to be living there (at least according to law, practically nobody cares).

They would to be here to be registered in a house book. There is no requirement for them to live here after registering. 

The rules state if they move to another residence within the country they should change there registry to another one but it is virtually impossible to enforce.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pazienza said:

Thanks for the response, 

I am required to have my name added to the blue book in order to get a Thai ID card, so I was hoping to see if it was possible to have it done without my presence, but I fear it is unlikely

Have you checked about any obligation to register for Thai conscript army service and how that might be complicated by your situation.

But I guess at 33 you would be past any requirement for army service but perhaps better to check rather than get a surprise you're not expecting.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the responses, very informative stuff and honestly I never thought I'd get as much input as I did, it's really appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's UK specific, but trying to even get hold of the Thai embassy on the phone to get any clarification is like getting blood from a stone (Mum was on hold for 40 minutes before she gave up!) . I did manage to get hold of them yesterday and they requested my Mother call them as I believe the main documentation is on her side to (I assume) prove she is Thai.

What I assume I'll need so far for the Thai birth certificate (I'll list this in case anyone has any input** or if anyone else reading this in the future can benefit):

• Fully completed forms as per the embassy website
  • FCO certified UK birth certificate
  • UK birth certificate to possibly be translated? **any input?
  • Further evidence (UK Passport/Driving License) just to prove who I am
  • My Mother's presence
  • My Mother's Thai ID card (This is a slight problem as her ID card is at her house in Thailand and possibly expired. She has a Thai passport which may also be recently expired but has all prior Thai passports and ID cards at hand - this is the main reason we are trying to get hold of the embassy and will try again today, we're going to ask if a photocopy would suffice. If not, we can have it mailed).**
  • Father's death certificate (he actually died in Thailand, so we have an official Thai death certificate and a translated UK one) - Hopefully the Thai one needs no further certification/verification**
  • My parents divorced when I was a nipper - we have the UK divorce papers, but I'm not sure if this would even be a requirement anymore due to my father's passing. Same with custody documents**

Hopefully this is enough to bring with us to the embassy in order to obtain a passport. From what I've read, i'm too old (thankfully) to do any military service but I will double check if I can reach them on the phone.

As for the ID card (once a birth certificate/passport is obtained), ubonjoe - thank you for the input regarding the fact that it does not have to be the same house book my mother is registered in. That would make things a lot easier for me. 

I'll update back when I can.

Nick

32 minutes ago, pazienza said:

What I assume I'll need so far for the Thai birth certificate (I'll list this in case anyone has any input** or if anyone else reading this in the future can benefit):

A list of the requirements are here on the embassy website.

In English: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/82037-Birth-&-Death-Registration.html#1

Thai: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/th/services/82031-ทะเบียนราษฎร์.html

It appears you were born before 1992 which means their some additional requirement such as a translation of your birth certificate.

45 minutes ago, pazienza said:

Thank you for all the responses, very informative stuff and honestly I never thought I'd get as much input as I did, it's really appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's UK specific, but trying to even get hold of the Thai embassy on the phone to get any clarification is like getting blood from a stone (Mum was on hold for 40 minutes before she gave up!) . I did manage to get hold of them yesterday and they requested my Mother call them as I believe the main documentation is on her side to (I assume) prove she is Thai.

• Fully completed forms as per the embassy website
  • FCO certified UK birth certificate
  • UK birth certificate to possibly be translated? **any input?
  • Further evidence (UK Passport/Driving License) just to prove who I am
  • My Mother's presence
  • My Mother's Thai ID card (This is a slight problem as her ID card is at her house in Thailand and possibly expired. She has a Thai passport which may also be recently expired but has all prior Thai passports and ID cards at hand - this is the main reason we are trying to get hold of the embassy and will try again today, we're going to ask if a photocopy would suffice. If not, we can have it mailed).**
  • Father's death certificate (he actually died in Thailand, so we have an official Thai death certificate and a translated UK one) - Hopefully the Thai one needs no further certification/verification**
  • My parents divorced when I was a nipper - we have the UK divorce papers, but I'm not sure if this would even be a requirement anymore due to my father's passing. Same with custody documents**

Hopefully this is enough to bring with us to the embassy in order to obtain a passport. From what I've read, i'm too old (thankfully) to do any military service but I will double check if I can reach them on the phone.

As for the ID card (once a birth certificate/passport is obtained), ubonjoe - thank you for the input regarding the fact that it does not have to be the same house book my mother is registered in. That would make things a lot easier for me. 

I'll update back when I can.

Nick

Well done and good luck...

• Like 1

Actually managed to speak to the embassy, here's what they have said:

• Arrange for my mother to renew her passport and Thai ID card (using a photocopy of her old one - in Thailand - as evidence).
  • Once this is done, arrange appointment along with FCO birth certificate, Mum's documents, parent's divorce certificate (non translated) Father's death certificate.
  • The above would grant me my Birth Certificate.

Here's where it gets a bit different - I'm being told that because I am over 21, I must have my name added to a blue book (in person) using my birth certificate to obtain both a Thai passport and thereafter an ID card. 

I thought I'd be able to obtain a passport from London, but seems this is not the case.

You could perhaps order another full UK Birth Cert from your local registrars office, since the Embassy is going to keep a Legalised original....

I just ordered two UK Birth Certs online (Scotland's people website), for my son, who was born in Thailand, but registered at the British Embassy in Bangkok. They arrived at the house in the UK in two days! 

Good luck with the applications ????.