Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

Today I went to Phuket Immigration for 60-Day extension based on single parent of thai child.

 

The proceeding looks good until the very last minute the officer is about to stamp my passport. Suddenly she said apologetic to me that she forget one thing. 

 

She explained me that I applied 33 days earlier than the expired date which means I am entitled to extend 27 days - because the rule is to start from the day I applied - NOT from the start of the expired date.

 

Hence I decided to postpone it till immediately just before my expired date.  

 

I wonder if this proceeding is normally correct or not. If so, it may be a worth for anyone to be aware of that.

 

Already wasted my afternoon ...sigh!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All extensions normally run from the date the current  permission to stay expires but Phuket are known for being different. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The decision by the Phuket official was extremely non standard. I would be interested in knowing if this particular non standard rule has ever been applied before, even in Phuket.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, elviajero said:

It’s not normal and the IO was talking complete nonsense. The 60 days starts the day after the current stay ends; always.

Thanks, I must be unluckily & I hope other IOs still follow the standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem was that you were applying for the extension to earlly. At most offices the earliest they will do a short term extension is around 2 weeks. So rather than admitting their mistake she told you it would start from the date of application so you would wait until latter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the problem was that you were applying for the extension to earlly. At most offices the earliest they will do a short term extension is around 2 weeks. So rather than admitting their mistake she told you it would start from the date of application so you would wait until latter.

Correct, the reason I came early is my 90-day reporting was expired on 8 Feb so I thought the 60-day extension can override that. After unsuccessful attempt, it means I must do both 90-day reporting and 60-day extension separately.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nabbie said:

Correct, the reason I came early is my 90-day reporting was expired on 8 Feb so I thought the 60-day extension can override that. After unsuccessful attempt, it means I must do both 90-day reporting and 60-day extension separately.  

Why were you applying for a 60 day extension if you can stay in the country longer than 90 days in the country.

Are you on a one year extension and were wanting delay applying for a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why were you applying for a 60 day extension if you can stay in the country longer than 90 days in the country.

Are you on a one year extension and were wanting delay applying for a new one.

1st Q: Sorry, if I confuse you. I mean 90-day reporting / notification is nothing to do with extension.

 

2nd Q: Yes, I have current 1-year extension expired in mid-March. I want the 1-year extension to be expired in mid-May (not in mid-March). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My tourist Visa expired on Sunday the 9th and Monday was an official government holiday.  

 

So, I went on Friday to apply for a 60 day wife visa. 

 

Went to the Amphur first and got some kind of "marriage certificate", 20B. 

 

Then went to Immigration.  

 

Had all my ducks in a row because I had went two weeks prior to get a checklist. ☺️

 

Had everything required the day of application

 

Took less than 15 minutes.

 

Bada Bing, Bada Boom.

 

Life ain't so hard when you follow the rules and make sure your t's are crossed and your i's are dotted.

 

Walked out of Immigration with 60 day stamp. ✓

Edited by SiSePuede419

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mr Smithy said:

All extensions normally run from the date the current  permission to stay expires but Phuket are known for being different. 

Not extensions based on marriage in several provinces. They start the day you apply for the extension instead on the date the extension expires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Not extensions based on marriage in several provinces. They start the day you apply for the extension instead on the date the extension expires. 

I thought - but could be mistaken - that it only runs from the date of application when you are doing an extension for a different reason than the previous one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Not extensions based on marriage in several provinces. They start the day you apply for the extension instead on the date the extension expires. 

This is what I was told at Phetchabun today. As soon as the application is made the original extension is cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Not extensions based on marriage in several provinces. They start the day you apply for the extension instead on the date the extension expires. 

Only if you are changing the reason for your extension.

Or are you mixing up when the under consideration period starts with when the new extension begins.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

I thought - but could be mistaken - that it only runs from the date of application when you are doing an extension for a different reason than the previous one.

The only time they do that is if an extension is being cancelled in favour of a new one. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a new reason, just that the existing extension needs to be cancelled.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...