British prisoner ‘collapses in cell’ with suspected coronavirus after ‘returning from Thai jail’

webfact

Just now, ponder said:

A friend of mine was released from Klong Prem prison about a year ago. While incarcerated, he shared a room with seventy others, and they slept practically on top of each other. If this virus gets into the prison, it will spread rapidly, and I do not now how the authorities could cope with it.

Let's hope that it stays away. 

"lock down" would be the best way to go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ponder said:

A friend of mine was released from Klong Prem prison about a year ago. While incarcerated, he shared a room with seventy others, and they slept practically on top of each other. If this virus gets into the prison, it will spread rapidly, and I do not now how the authorities could cope with it.

Let's hope that it stays away. 

How much access to prisoners have to visitors?

3 hours ago, smedly said:

OMG, what is Thailand not telling

All things considered I thought things were going ok. If this proves true, then it will be a nightmare. There is still hope it is "suspected" and not the Corona virus. Thailand might just be using it as a smoke screen, for something else. Like they did with Ashley Shorley.

That might explain why there was a news a couple days ago that they (Thailand) are currently training some prisoners to assist medical personnel in case of an epidemic. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

Is Thailand lying about the numbers - IMO they are, what they are reporting to the press I find impossible to believe and the WHO should call them out on it

I could possibly believe the numbers if they meant something different  - would make more sense 

these numbers from a week ago 32 infected - 600 ? (being tested or some other nonsense)

How about 32 dead and 600 infected - I could start to believe 

They refuse to let a cruise ship dock with no reported virus on board yet they keep their borders open to China ?, am I missing something ?

I thought the cruise ship requesting to dock is the one that has been off Japan which Japan and 4 others have refused docking?  If that is the one the number of cases was over 60 last I checked.  If a first world nation cannot handle disembarking the ship, it should not fall to a country with lesser medical resources for a pandemic.

"Thailand on Tuesday became the latest country to block the cruise ship's passengers from disembarking. It had already been turned away by ports in Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines, and the US territory of Guam."

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I thought the cruise ship requesting to dock is the one that has been off Japan which Japan and 4 others have refused docking?  If that is the one the number of cases was over 60 last I checked.  If a first world nation cannot handle disembarking the ship, it should not fall to a country with lesser medical resources for a pandemic.

not the same one

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

That's another cruiseship, not the Westerdam....The one you're talking bout has 130 cases on board now..

• Like 1

Just now, smedly said:

not the same one

I realized that... it is a leper ship though because there was a suspected case on board... and the way viruses spread on ship, if there is one then there are more.  Thailand does not have the bandwidth to screen those on board.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Outbreak of Covid-19 in a Thai prison will condemn the prison population and guards to infection and death. Considering the number of inmates with TB, HIV and other ailments, a large number will die.

I have a Thai friend in jail with a low immune system who has twice contracted TB during his 7 years inside. I have warned him about the virus by mail. Thai jails are tailor made for the spread of disease and infection.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Spock said:

I have a Thai friend in jail with a low immune system who has twice contracted TB during his 7 years inside. I have warned him about the virus by mail. Thai jails are tailor made for the spread of disease and infection.

What precautions are they taking in jail? if any or dont you know yet?

56 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

you mean a viral infection with a 1% mortality rate ? dark and scary?

In a Thai jail the mortality rate would be much higher due to the weaker immunity systems of the many prisoners who suffer or have suffered from the likes of TB etc and the overcrowding in cells.

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:
36 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

With the mas population and mass cells in Thailand, it gets in there they may as well just weld up the doors like the Chinese are doing

And throw the keys away?

... instead use the brass of the keys for the brazing rods ???? 

4 hours ago, smedly said:

OMG, what is Thailand not telling

Everything ... Borders remain open and Chinese tourist cough fart and spit at leisure ... Keep on spending is not a cure it’s a way to keep everyone’s mind off the high baht and the atrocious tourist numbers

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:
3 minutes ago, smedly said:

not the same one

I realized that... it is a leper ship though because there was a suspected case on board... and the way viruses spread on ship, if there is one then there are more.  Thailand does not have the bandwidth to screen those on board.

Basically they are past incubation period, NO cases, so totally clean. The funny thing is had they had flown in they would be accepted with open arms. Likely given Flowers & Facemasks by Government Minister Anutin.

But Thailand does not have the bandwidth?! Is that why my internet has been henky this month?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

AMAZING.

i've heard rumors about a corona outbreak in bangkok prison, but

did not want to post it here from fear of being accused of spreading fake news.

this case proves how dangerous is the situation in thailand, and how dangerous it is

to hide the truth.

a pandemic breakout in jail is the nightmare of any country.

God help us all.

God help thailand.

i am not trying to be dramatic here.

something huge, dark and scary is walking behind the scenes.

I would think that common sense would have prevailed..

Banning large congregating such football and muay thai fights.

It only one sneeze from the guy behind you to cover you in droplets. 

And pocket handkerchiefs seem to be few and far between here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Basically they are past incubation period, NO cases, so totally clean. The funny thing is had they had flown in they would be accepted with open arms. Likely given Flowers & Facemasks by Government Minister Anutin.

But Thailand does not have the bandwidth?! Is that why my internet has been henky this month?

And what incubation period are you using?  The incubation period is not known exactly, there are cases that show up weeks after exposure, there are people that test negative... go home... then show up positive a week or so later... 

There are 4 other countries before Thailand, a number have better pandemic medical support... if they are clean - send them to back where they boarded (HK I believe).

• Like 1