KETO DIET ultimate thread - Keto diet in Thailand, what do you eat, what did you learn ?

rech

I have a place pretty much out in the country, mostly unfarmable land. Got several Keto cats around the place. Live on voles, moles, mice, and such. All those cats seem to live a good long life. I'm pretty sure they'd all die an early life if they didn't live near the wifi signal.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I eat mainly grass fed beef from New Zealand, sashimi, beef jerky, duck egg, some chicken, bacon, vegetable from my garden, frozen berries and fish oil. I buy almost everything from paleorobbie.com. 

I have been following this diet for over a year but temporarily relapsed during my honeymoon. It fixed my heartburn and I have much more energy and lost a lot of weight. 

Great diet. NZ meat is very good.

I follow a strict Whole Food Plant Based  + B12 nutrition regime which is scientifically acknowledged as the optimum health diet that lowers the risk of strokes, arterial disease, and cancer. 

Whole Grain, Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, Seeds and Nuts. Water, daily exercise, 7 hours sleep, low cortisol stress, and good family and friends = recipe for longevity.

No need to count calories, carbs, protein or fats, just eat as much as you need, and you'll stay at a healthy weight and enjoy a healthy life long term - which any version of Keto wouldn't - because (long-term) it doesn't provide all the essential nutrients a human body needs.

Sorry, chaps, but consuming animal products, dairy, eggs and cooking oils is a slow track to the above diseases. When you're on meds, statins, and stents - switch to the above and it will clear your arteries for good and save your life. Scientifically proven.

Latest science indicates that red meat, when digested, releases an opioid that is addictive - might explain why my non-consumption of meat for 50 years has kept me clean and clear.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I follow a strict Whole Food Plant Based  + B12 nutrition regime which is scientifically acknowledged as the optimum health diet that lowers the risk of strokes, arterial disease, and cancer. 

Whole Grain, Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, Seeds and Nuts. Water, daily exercise, 7 hours sleep, low cortisol stress, and good family and friends = recipe for longevity.

No need to count calories, carbs, protein or fats, just eat as much as you need, and you'll stay at a healthy weight and enjoy a healthy life long term - which any version of Keto wouldn't - because (long-term) it doesn't provide all the essential nutrients a human body needs.

Sorry, chaps, but consuming animal products, dairy, eggs and cooking oils is a slow track to the above diseases. When you're on meds, statins, and stents - switch to the above and it will clear your arteries for good and save your life. Scientifically proven.

Latest science indicates that red meat, when digested, releases an opioid that is addictive - might explain why my non-consumption of meat for 50 years has kept me clean and clear.

I tried vegetarian for 3 years and it was ok. Just so you know keto doesn't equal meat. There is keto vegan out there. I won't go back to vegetarian since I trust how I feel and I check my blood pressure and sugar level everyday and it looks much better now. Don't put too much faith into biased study since there is many contradicting study out there. If you feel good as a vegan then good for you. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2

Coconut oil!  Don't forget the coconut oil!  Plus coconut milk for your curries.  Coconut oil is full of MCTs for brain food and to keep feeling sated.

I do the "lazy keto" diet, meaning up to 50g carbs/day although I rarely go over 20g/day.  This gives me plenty of lee-way when going out with friends as well as when I have a few drinks ( no beer though).  Lot's of chicken, egg whites and fish.  If you miss pasta like I do, spiralize squashes and get konjac flour noodles in Japanese stores.

You definitely need to combine with exercise to get full effect!

I also suggest getting an app for your phone to keep track.  I use Carb Manager on android.

Been 4 months and my 6-pack is showing! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I tried vegetarian for 3 years and it was ok. Just so you know keto doesn't equal meat. There is keto vegan out there. I won't go back to vegetarian since I trust how I feel and I check my blood pressure and sugar level everyday and it looks much better now. Don't put too much faith into biased study since there is many contradicting study out there. If you feel good as a vegan then good for you. 

Hi Tayaout - everyone has different DNA, and nutrition needs vary from individual to individual. There is no 'one cap fits all' dietary regime. I had been Vegetarian for 50 years, apart from one serving of fish a week.

Now I understand nutritional science a little more - I ditched dairy and eggs - cheese is full of hormonal toxicity - but I'm not a Vegan because I also eliminate ANY processed plant oils, including coconut and olive oils for cooking.  Also, the thought of eating processed vegan 'artificial' products is abhorrent to me. A meatless burger and chips smothered in cooking oil is unhealthy, IMO. 

Now my body reacts either favourably or negatively towards my variable and moderate consumption of foods - listen to your gut - it tells the truth. Strangely enough, only last evening, and outside my IF eating window, I had an urge to consume whole grain toasted sandwich, with a dash of wheat germ oil, marmite and lentil spread, topped with tomato and lettuce. This morning I felt full of energy throughout my daily walk. Scientific evidence - no - but, IMO, certainly observational proof.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Wrong. Actually the science says the opposite. The anti meat "science" was funded by big grain groups and discredited. You are 20 years behind the times. They never proved causation. All they did was shown a link without counting for drinking, smoking etc.

Sorry but you got hoodwinked by the grain companies.

Btw HK people live the longest and are no 1 meat eaters.

So much for your vegan theories.

Regrettably, you're the one that has been misguided by the food industry. Science has been proven for decades that animal product consumption leads to a high risk of serious disease. There are countless long-term studies to evidence this, apart from rising mortality rates in modern society - which sure ain't the result of eating plant based whole foods. 

However, it's up to you what you choose to eat and believe; I'm merely providing information that is nutritionally accurate for the benefit of more open minds.

As for HK:

According to dietitian Rhoda Ng Yin-chee, the traditional Chinese diet of steamed dishes and fresh vege­tables with no processed products reflects the eating habits of other places known for longevity, such as the Mediter­ranean, where salads and greens feature heavily in local fare.

“For several decades, our economy wasn’t good, so the diet was more plant-based. People only occa­sionally ate chicken, beef or pork, which has contributed to the high life expectancy [of the elderly who grew up on that diet],” Ng says.

3 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

no processed products

Noodles and rice arent processed products?

Gee it seems your one source is an idiot.

There is also no such thing as the mediterranean diet. It's a myth. The people eat lots of different things. No one diet. It's like saying eat a balanced diet. Idiotic stuff they said in 1985.

Sorry champ but you have zero research on diet. 5 minutes on google. Sad really.

Edited by UbonThani
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Which means the diet lacks proper nutrients.

It means that all the nutrients a human needs is found in WFPB, plus B12 found in nutritional yeast. That's factual.

B12 is produced by microorganisms, bacteria, fungi, and algae, but not by animals or plants. B12 is found in animal products because they concentrate the nutrient after ingesting these microorganisms along with their food in their flesh, organs, and byproducts (e.g. eggs and dairy).

And what foods do pasture-bred animals eat? - answer on a postage stamp, please.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

It means that all the nutrients a human needs is found in WFPB, plus B12 found in nutritional yeast. That's factual.

B12 is produced by microorganisms, bacteria, fungi, and algae, but not by animals or plants. B12 is found in animal products because they concentrate the nutrient after ingesting these microorganisms along with their food in their flesh, organs, and byproducts (e.g. eggs and dairy).

And what foods do pasture-bred animals eat? - answer on a postage stamp, please.

Cattle have great stomachs for processing grasses. That's their design. Humans don't.

This is just basic knowledge.

No wonder you got conned 5555

• Haha 1

HK - high meat, moderate carbs, moderate to high fat.

West - high carbs, moderate meat, moderate to high fat.

The difference is carbs not meat or fat. HK people love pork fat. The fat isnt killing them. The meat isnt killing them. It's the carbs same with westerners. Westerners just eat more sugar, wheat and corn.

High carb diets kill people.

• Like 2