KETO DIET ultimate thread - Keto diet in Thailand, what do you eat, what did you learn ?

rech

You should read some books, several, and stop looking for advice in forums. 90% of the answers here have nothing to to with "Keto" (stupid word anyway). And I doubt you are looking for "Keto", most answers here are about high protein (aka Atkinson) and/or low carb diets.

So: learn about nutrition, and then listen to your body. Basically every advice: don't eat this, don't eat that, eat his or eat that: is wrong. No one knows your body chemistry ... 

One reason for nutrition problems is: your body needs something, but you do not give it to him. So he makes you feel hungry, but the food you eat does not have it ... find it. And that missing thing you have to find yourself.

Edited by Enki

On 2/13/2020 at 4:51 AM, UbonThani said:

False. Liver and blood contain far more nutrients than plants. Nutrients in plants are not easily absorbed into the body. Also lots of anti nutrients cause inflammation.

I've done about 200 hours of reading on this.

You have been conned.

Depends what you call "nutrition". Calories? Trace elements like vitamins or simple minerals like calcium or magnesium? Essential oil acids?

If you try to live a year from liver and blood, you die in 3 or 4 month, good luck.

On 2/13/2020 at 5:01 AM, Brahmz said:

I have been eating Keto for eleven years now. Best thing I ever did for myself. I am 70yo and look 50.

Started the diet in NZ and have been in Thailand 3 years. Here I eat mostly raw food except for clear soups with non-starchy cooked vegetables. I drink raw milk, and make my own cheese and kefir from raw milk. Rest of the diet is fruit (fresh & dried), salads, raw egg yolks, freshly ground black sesame seeds, micro-greens (black sesame), teas, homemade ginger beer.

Good story, but that is not a "keto diet", it is a low carb diet.

Keto is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenesis

It is a diet based on FAT ... no one here using KETO actually knows what it is ... dangerous/disgusting. 

6 minutes ago, Enki said:

Depends what you call "nutrition". Calories? Trace elements like vitamins or simple minerals like calcium or magnesium? Essential oil acids?

If you try to live a year from liver and blood, you die in 3 or 4 month, good luck.

No you wont. The Masai lived off beef, blood and fermented milk.

Humans hardly ate carbs for 150,000 years. They only ate them in season.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Enki said:

mediterranen diet"

Like saying the Asian diet. It's a made up term to sell books and videos. Not based on much science as they don't live the longest and have high rates of heart disease. Olive oil is an expensive waste of money.

Italian dishes and Greek dishes are vastly different. You talked about restaurants before. Go try some.

1 hour ago, Enki said:

You seem to know everything but maybe you never heard about the Inuit or even worse Shawn Baker, Jordan Peterson and Michaela Peterson who have been eating only beef muscle meat for years. Maybe you never heard about the study (I can't find the link) of the guy who went to live with the Inuit and when he came back was put in isolation for a year and ate only meat and his blood work came out healthy to the surprise of the researchers. There is vitamin C in beef liver and more in kidney. The theory is that a carnivore diet require less vitamin C than a carbs based diet. 

BTW there is different level of keto diet. Medical keto is less than 20g of carbs per day and 80% fat but some including me can get away with 50g of carbs or less and stay in ketosis. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Cheese has lots of calcium.

Salmon has magnesium.

If you eat fatty animals from nose to tails then you don't need to worry about nutrients. However @Enkiis right that's it's hard to for example drink milk on a keto diet but not impossible if the macro are respected but should be avoided if someone want to stay in ketosis. Heavy cream is a better alternative. In my case I found it makes it harder to lose weight. 

1 cup of full fat milk has 12g of carbs. 

1 cup of heavy cream has 9g.

I do occasionally make some kind of desert with chia seeds and cream mixed with water. 

Similar to what I do:

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Enki said:

Keto is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenesis

It is a diet based on FAT ... no one here using KETO actually knows what it is ... dangerous/disgusting. 

Wiki is a poor source of info. Best to listen to diet experts in the field of low carb. They have youtube channels explaining the science. Also books if you prefer.

Glenn Villeneuve was on Joe Rogan and he explain that he would starve if he ate only rabbits because it's too skinny. He needed to eat Cariboo fat to feel healthy. Sure it's a carnivorous/not keto diet but this guy lived off only meat and semi digested lichens from the stomach of Cariboo for long period of time. If you gave me the choice of only 1 food for the rest of my life I would take fatty meat anytime. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Really they need to research what is so perfectly clear since decades ?

Carbs = kill

Nothing else to know or think about.

But of course some people will always think that they know better ????

does that include fruit and vegetables?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

does that include fruit and vegetables?

In the context of this thread you could eat white sugar cube and stay in a state of ketosis but it doesn't contain much nutrition. 

Fruit are best avoided except berries in small amount and the best are non starchy vegetable. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/115686284163323583/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/115686284163323583/

images (20).jpeg

Keto-Vegetables.jpg

19 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Ribeye or cheaper cut of beef, lamb, organ meat or fish with duck eggs. Butter, duck fat or high quality no added sugar bacon. Beef, lamb, chicken or fish bone broth with added fat. 

Everything grass fed, free range or wild caught.

I also supplement with 4g per day of fish oil or cod liver oil. 

I mostly eat 1 meal a day or several small meals in a 1-3h feeding window usually in early afternoon. I usually don't do zerocarb more than 1 week before going back to keto because it feels more sustainable.

Zerocarb is fantastic for weight loss, inflammation reduction, muscle building, mind clarity, energy and libido. 

are you doing this in thailand? if so where are you sourcing the food?

i've struggled to find beef but heard macro has it

4 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

are you doing this in thailand? if so where are you sourcing the food?

i've struggled to find beef but heard macro has it

I'm in Thailand and use https://paleorobbie.com/

There is also my neighbour that is fattening one of these for me and it's much cheaper but less tender than imported beef. I use a pressure cooker or grind the meat for tougher meat. 

IMG_20200204_175839.jpg

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2