KETO DIET ultimate thread - Keto diet in Thailand, what do you eat, what did you learn ?

rech

Here is my recipe I did for my birthday cake. 

150g butter. 

100g duck egg. 

50ml hot water. 

180g almond flour. 

100g erythretol and stevia. 

6g baking powder. 

5g sea salt or other real salt. 

30g cocoa powder. 

42g 100% chocolate bar broken in small piece.

8g of cocoa nibs for texture. 

Need to cook about 1h. I use a bread machine with the cake menu. Last time I checked there is about 30g of carbs for the whole cake. 

Unfortunately, I broke it yesterday because I was too tipsy when I moved it and it might need more egg. 

IMG_20200222_194242.jpg

Edited by Tayaout

11 hours ago, Enki said:

I don't bother to answer to your other recent posts ...

That's because you got it wrong and I had to correct you on the facts and science.

If you want to learn about low carb diets read the science not the headlines on wiki. Wiki is not a book and it's not science.

Doctors on keto explain the science.

10 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Goals should be

- muscle growth or maintenance

- fat loss or maintenance

- good energy ( comes more from fasting)

- good sleep

- keeping insulin levels low

Being in ketosis all the time should not be a goal. It's a positive side effect from a good diet not the goal itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

Here is my recipe I did for my birthday cake. 

150g butter. 

100g duck egg. 

50ml hot water. 

180g almond flour. 

100g erythretol and stevia. 

6g baking powder. 

5g sea salt or other real salt. 

30g cocoa powder. 

42g 100% chocolate bar broken in small piece.

8g of cocoa nibs for texture. 

Need to cook about 1h. I use a bread machine with the cake menu. Last time I checked there is about 30g of carbs for the whole cake. 

Unfortunately, I broke it yesterday because I was too tipsy when I moved it and it might need more egg. 

IMG_20200222_194242.jpg

I'd rather eat a junk food cake. If Im going to have cake eat the tasty one like proper mud cake with ice cream.

If heathly just have the usual carnivore stuff.

1 hour ago, UbonThani said:

I'd rather eat a junk food cake. If Im going to have cake eat the tasty one like proper mud cake with ice cream.

If heathly just have the usual carnivore stuff.

This cake is tasty at least for me and my familly. The photo doesnt make it justice. Oh and it doesn't give me heartburn or kick me out of ketosis. 

Edited by Tayaout

4 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Choco cake goes with cream or ice cream.

Yes dont have cream in my area and finished my keto icream last week... I ate the cake with frozen berries and my wife added Nutella because she only do intermittent fasting for now. 

Just checked the damage after yesterday night. Drank half a bottle of tequila and ate half the cake. My fasted blood sugar is at 83mg/dL and the ketone test strip are still deep purple. 

Edited by Tayaout

If you want a Keto compliantchocolate cake that tastes amazing and yet is easy to make, try this Nigella Lawson recipe.

Just swap out sugar for Erythritol (I use Swerve)...and leave out the flour.

You'll need about a cup of swerve to do the trick. One normal slice provides about 4 nett carbs. 

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake

Edited by JHolmesJr

7 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Cocoa has carbs in it.

More than half is fiber that won't get digested and affect blood sugar. It's a perfectly acceptable food for keto. Unless you do zerocarb but then you won't eat plant food to begin with. 

This is for 1 tablespoon or 5.4g:

Screenshot_20200223_100716.jpg

Here is a video from Dr. Eric Westman who did 10 years of research on the keto diet before opening a clinic 14 years ago that use this diet to cure patient from various metabolic diseases. 

Edited by Tayaout

19 minutes ago, cooked said:

Together with Kellog the Adventist church decided that meat caused masturbastion in boys. Many of the vegetarian propagandists have been Adventists.

I wasn't sure you were serious so I searched a bit and what I found is disturbing. 

"Here we have the cure as recommended by Ellen White for one who masturbates. In short he should avoid stimulating food, particularly meat, should not eat supper, avoid feather beds and pillows, and not loiter in bed. He should take prescribed baths (and imagine yourself doing this) consisting of sitting in a cold pail of water, putting your feet in a pail of hot water and wrapping cold bandages around your head. At other times a wet girdle should be worn and the genitals should be bathed with cool water frequently. Not only is supper disallowed but reading or thinking in the evening [or toward night] is completely banned as this 'Mental activity' may lead to wet dreams."

https://www.nonegw.org/btc/btc6.htm

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are so many "gurus" when it comes to Keto-style nutrition, and most of them are simply false prophets that are completely ignorant of the underlying metabolic science.

Keto is a legitimate nutritional strategy if you base it on clinically proven science, not anecdotal pseudo-science.  Most of the popular keto-diets promoted on YouTube are based on the latter.  Anecdotal studies are really the lowest form of science.  You can pretty much make them support anything you want. 

The second lowest form of science is so-called "clinical trials" that in actuality are paid for by those with vested interest in the outcome.  Big-food and big-pharma companies are famous for this!

The Internet health gurus also use these strategies so that you will go out and buy their book, sign up for their membership website, click on their paid links to buy products, or attend one of their seminars!

I have been practicing a keto lifestyle for a while now and am very knowledgable of the underlying science, and highly successful at making it work for me.  Of all the channels on YouTube devoted to keto lifestyle, I only subscribe to a very small handful, and the one at the top of my list is Dr. Ken Berry's channel. 

He's a family physician with 20 years of experience treating patients, and though he has written an outstanding book, entitled "Lies My Doctor Told Me", he does not promote the book on his channel, and has nothing to sell you and no vested interests in anything but the honest and easy to understand truth about nutritional science, and how it can benefit YOU...with no strings attached.

Most importantly, he dispels the many false myths about nutrition that overwhelm us on the internet, and even from your own highly trusted (though ill-informed) physician!

In all of his videos, I've yet to see one where he makes any sort of claims that can not be soundly backed up by unbiased, peer-reviewed, clinical studies which he always references in the video notes.

Even more importantly, he uses referenced science to dispel the many nutritional myths put out there by ill-informed doctors, not to mention some of the fantastical and often ludicrous claims by all the dopey internet health gurus.

As far as I can tell he is one of a vanishing breed of physicians who really cares about the well being of his patients (and his YouTube followers)

If you are trying to learn the REAL truth about how a keto lifestyle can benefit you, check out his channel; you'll be glad you did.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KenDBerry

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone

recently arrived keto follower from Australia currently entering the Kingdom via quarantine hotel on a long term visa to be living in Isaan with girlfriend. 

Ive found keto or at least low carb and 16:8 daily has been wonderful for my weight loss / lower triglycerides and blood sugar over the past 6 months. 

I'm wondering if anyone has found any clinics/doctors here that are worth contacting to advise me? Most of the standard doctors in OZ were still thinking "low fat" and "balanced diet" stuff, which was quite disappointing. 

Sure there's lots of advice online and youtube, but a real qualified person to guide me over coming years would be great.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 10:35 AM, crowned said:

Hi everyone

recently arrived keto follower from Australia currently entering the Kingdom via quarantine hotel on a long term visa to be living in Isaan with girlfriend. 

Ive found keto or at least low carb and 16:8 daily has been wonderful for my weight loss / lower triglycerides and blood sugar over the past 6 months. 

I'm wondering if anyone has found any clinics/doctors here that are worth contacting to advise me? Most of the standard doctors in OZ were still thinking "low fat" and "balanced diet" stuff, which was quite disappointing. 

Sure there's lots of advice online and youtube, but a real qualified person to guide me over coming years would be great.

It’s rare to find an MD who really understands nutrition unfortunately.  My strategy was to become self-educated which is what led me to a Keto lifestyle.  My only interaction with an MD is for interpreting my blood tests (lipids, etc) just to be on the safe side.

I can suggest an outstanding MD who has a very informative and science-based YouTube site that i’ve Found to be invaluable.

His name is Dr. Ken Barry, and the link to his YT :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIma2WOQs1Mz2AuOt6wRSUw

Dr. Barry is a stickler for being 100% science-based in a real easy-to-understand way, and also backs up everything he says with links to scientific studies.  Unlike most YouTube “gurus” he has nothing to sell, and is totally unbiased in his views.  

Good of luck with the journey!

• Like 2

By the way: does anyone know of a Facebook (or similar) web source of information about Keto IN THAI?

My wife's grasp of English when it comes to medical terminology is quite vague and just explaining the idea of 'carb' is difficult. 

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

By the way: does anyone know of a Facebook (or similar) web source of information about Keto IN THAI?

My wife's grasp of English when it comes to medical terminology is quite vague and just explaining the idea of 'carb' is difficult. 

Thanks.

This may be of help: 

https://www.thaiketopal.com/

https://www.ketothailand.xyz/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 10:35 AM, WaveHunter said:

Dr. Barry is a stickler for being 100% science-based in a real easy-to-understand way, and also backs up everything he says with links to scientific studies.  Unlike most YouTube “gurus” he has nothing to sell, and is totally unbiased in his views.  

Good of luck with the journey!

Thanks for the feedback Wavehunter, I've also found Ken Berry stuff great value. Good luck with your health

6 hours ago, crowned said:

Thanks for the feedback Wavehunter, I've also found Ken Berry stuff great value. Good luck with your health

As you probably know, he is a big proponent of the Carnivore Diet.  When I first came across this protocol, I was pretty suspicious but after listening to what he had to say, I decided to seriously look into it.

It's kind of shocking to think that eating fatty meats like steak and other foods that we've been taught are really bad for you like butter, eggs, etc, are in fact quite healthy to eat. 

And it's equally shocking to hear that eating foods that have traditionally been promoted to be healthy like fruits and grains (i.e.: high in carbohydrates) can have serious health consequences.

It was a real shock for me to be told that carbohydrates are in fact not essential to healthy nutrition...not at all!

The scientific evidence that Dr. Berry discusses and backs up with scientific studies is quite compelling.

I decided to find out for myself so for the past three months I have eased my way into eating this way:

• Almost zero carbohydrates
  • One meal per day (OMAD)
  • 100 grams of protein per day (Chicken, Beef, Salmon, Eggs, Etc)
  • Absolutely no processed foods

This was a "bio-hacking" experiment for me.  I'm a competitive athlete, and I wanted to see what it effects eating this way would have on performance, and overall sense of well-being, and I am quite impressed!

There were positive health changes that were apparent almost immediately such as waking up in the morning feeling much more energetic and without the need for coffee to kick start the day, but there were also other changes over time that became apparent which included trimming down excess body fat (without even trying to cut calories), and as for athletic performance, the absence of carbs had very little effect.  I did supplement with carbs a few hours before strenuous or prolonged efforts like hill climbs on the bike, but that was it for carbs.

Everybody is different so what works for me may not work for others, but I have to say that it was a real eye-opener to realize that carbs are NOT necessary for good health to the extent that we've been led to believe, and in fact the opposite seems to be true...that excessive carbs can have a very negative effect on metabolic health, and is probably the underlying cause of the obesity epidemic today.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1