Pattaya: Foreigner found in the sea off Koh Larn: Neck was tied to rock to weigh down the body

webfact

7 hours ago, nev said:

R.I.P.

New way to suicide?

...not at all..some people use the life-jacket or plastic bag to keep the body buoyant so as the wind will carry it further out to sea...There are many volumes on Coronial Therapeutic Jurisprudence citing such cases...RIP troubled soul.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
59 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

Hm, not sure if you are serious or cynical. In fact, some ppl who commit suicide like hanging themselves DO tie their own hands before suicide, to prevent themselves freeing.

Not sure, thats what you mean?

They can tie them behind their backs?

It's not unheard of and not impossible.

41 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

In the past,  the Thai police have said the person had 

committed suicide with their hands tied BEHIND their backs.case closed .

It's also been reported in other countries and someone tying their wrists behind them is not that difficult.

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

Possibly floating device around his feet to make sure his head stayed under with the rock. Guy where I come from in uk rowed into middle of a loch and put on a rucksack full of rocks and jumped over the side. Horrible way to go I would think . 

Virginia Woolf filled her coat pockets with stones and walked into the River Ouse. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:
13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It's also been reported in other countries and someone tying their wrists behind them is not that difficult.

Could you do it ?

Yes.  Certainly enough to secure the wrists to make release not too easy for the few seconds that it would be necessary.

Edited by Just Weird

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Yes.  Certainly enough to secure the wrists to make release not too easy for the few seconds that it would be necessary.

Did you actually try to tie your hands behind your back,

or just think you could ?

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:
7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Did you actually try to tie your hands behind your back,

or just think you could ?

regards Worgeordie

I've done it with my hands in front of me in case I did it too well because I'm on my own but behind the back is no different. Loop knots, surplus cord to grab hold of with the fingers to tighten, it's not difficult.

Edited by Just Weird

8 hours ago, nev said:

R.I.P.

New way to suicide?

Possibly, I'd rather do that then jump from a hi-rise. Cousin sent vid of guy who jumped off 13 story hi rise , wasn't dead immideaitly. One leg shattered lying a few feet (meters) away from main body another arm a few feet away covered in blood. If a hi rise fall not causing instant painless death rather go for bullit to the brain  but drowning maybe a way. Doesn't feel that great  (I have almost drowned before as a teen) but no damage to body and not intense pain but suffocating doesn't feel great either especially water getting in lungs.

He may have used the rock to upend himself in water with flotaion device keeping legs up with rock keeping head down.

Edited by Tony125

8 hours ago, VYCM said:

It surprises me to see comments of RIP.

You have no idea who this guy is, he could be the worst of the worst.

I reckon it would be a good idea to hold of with RIP's until it is known who he is.

A good or bad bloke? Is he really going to rest more or less peacefully?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Why would they give a murder victim a life jacket?

I was a bit confused by this at first. A rock tied to his neck and a life jacket by his feet. How puzzling.

Then the penny dropped. Float the rock out to sea in the life jacket, throw the rock overboard and down you go. I'll go for suicide. Very sad and somewhat disturbing that there are so many here.

If u can float that rock on a life jacket it is not heavy enough to pull your entire body down. But you could present your theory to the police they will jump on it...

And why a phone charger? Underwater calls use too much battery?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Sorry you're wrong. The average person is only 2 to 3 kg positively buoyant in sea water, at the most. (ask any SCUBA diver) Some don't even float at all.

Tie a 6 kg rock to your neck and you will sink. The life jacket should have easily supported a 6 kg rock whilst the guy swims out to deep enough water. And that isn't much either. 2-3 meters is enough.

That was what we were taught at school. If you are in trouble try and keep the face above water preferably by floating on your back. In NO circumstances use two arms to wave for help....your head WILL sink. Simple physics.

Edited by emptypockets

10 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

How do they know he was a tourist, because of the neck support pillow? My guess it was a robbery then they killed the guy. RIP

Yes possibly, as things in the smaller coastal Boats, and the Fishing Boats DO get a bit more out of hand than on the shores at times I think ! ... They maybe could start checking out the local Yachts ? ...

As there HAVE been some pretty horrific murders on some of those ! ....  But from my Memories (Of reading about the British woman whose Husband was Murdered somewhere south of Phuket and she fooled them by putting Diesel in a Petrol outboard …. I think, in a Desperate Burmese Slave crew case, as they tried to get away, and back home to Burma. ... ) Thy usually are over on the Indian Ocean side, / the Burmese side I think ? And Not in Pattaya ....

... Still we must not forger Charles Sobrage, that really good French Guy ! ? ... He was topping foreign back packers on Yachts, and then setting them on fire and pushing them Hog Tied, in to the sea still alive, off Pattaya wasn't he ??? 

...  Still I would still go for the Suicide Option. ... And probably from a jetty or the shore also. 

6 minutes ago, emptypockets said:
1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

usual suicidal people leave a note behind, nothing of a sort was mentioned

Not always. If they have family or close friends whom they wish to explain things to, then they usually will.

But I suspect that loneliness is one of the key features when it come to suicides amongst the expat community here. And just who does a lonely person leave a note to? Why bother?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I was a bit confused by this at first. A rock tied to his neck and a life jacket by his feet. How puzzling.

Then the penny dropped. Float the rock out to sea in the life jacket, throw the rock overboard and down you go. I'll go for suicide. Very sad and somewhat disturbing that there are so many here.

Yes sadly also, I will agree with you. ... A Complicated way of doing it !!! But Sure ! and very Effective.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Could you do it ?

regards Worgeordie

As already mentioned, it is fairly easy to tie your hands together in front and then step

though and they are behind, cable ties make this even easier.

Personally I would probably have to roll around a bit on the floor to do this, but someone

younger and more agile than me could do this without too much difficulty.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Life jacket to his feet....rock tied to his neck...which way is he going to hang. Salmon fishermen in Scotland wear chest high waders, great, until you trip or fall over, you then have two rubber boots full of air with you underneath. So if you're ever fishing on the Tay and see a pair of wellies upside down go bobbing past you can bet there is some poor <deleted> underneath.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

As already mentioned, it is fairly easy to tie your hands together in front and then step

though and they are behind, cable ties make this even easier.

Personally I would probably have to roll around a bit on the floor to do this, but someone

younger and more agile than me could do this without too much difficulty.

Then having to find a rope with a much greater maximum working load. Imagine going through all that and only busting your ankles.