Pattaya: Foreigner found in the sea off Koh Larn: Neck was tied to rock to weigh down the body

webfact

18 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

That was what we were taught at school. If you are in trouble try and keep the face above water preferably by floating on your back. In NO circumstances use two arms to wave for help....your head WILL sink. Simple physics.

When I first learned to dive with the British Sub Aqua Club we had to pass a series pool swimming tests. One of them was to tread water for 1 minute with both hands out of the water.

It was very, very challenging and many people couldn't do it at first. They had to go into training for a week or two. I'm not sure if I could still do that. I'll give it a try next time I go swimming.

8 minutes ago, oyster said:

Life jacket to his feet....rock tied to his neck...which way is he going to hang. Salmon fishermen in Scotland wear chest high waders, great, until you trip or fall over, you then have two rubber boots full of air with you underneath. So if you're ever fishing on the Tay and see a pair of wellies upside down go bobbing past you can bet there is some poor <deleted> underneath.

Problem solved then. Rip Scottish Salmon fisherman. By the way nice touch to go barefooted, that'll throw them off the scent....

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

When I first learned to dive with the British Sub Aqua Club we had to pass a series pool swimming tests. One of them was to tread water for 1 minute with both hands out of the water.

It was very, very challenging and many people couldn't do it at first. They had to go into training for a week or two. I'm not sure if I could still do that. I'll give it a try next time I go swimming.

I imagine it would have been

Like trying to hold 25% of your body mass while jogging through treacle.

My only claim to fame is that I learnt float.

10 hours ago, VYCM said:

It surprises me to see comments of RIP.

You have no idea who this guy is, he could be the worst of the worst.

I reckon it would be a good idea to hold of with RIP's until it is known who he is.

RIP to the poor soul, suicide or murder.

• Like 1

Perfunctory question from a newbie on the Thai scene: does being a foreigner mean he was he was a white fella (caucasian I believe is the ethnological word) or an Asian ..? I’m colour blind so won’t dare mention a taint here. 

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Then the penny dropped. Float the rock out to sea in the life jacket, throw the rock overboard and down you go. I'll go for suicide. Very sad and somewhat disturbing that there are so many here.

I'll buy that theory.
It's a clever way to kill yourself, but at least less messy than shooting yourself in the head,  RIP.  

22 hours ago, webfact said:

By his legs was an orange life jacket.

Why do people think his legs were entangled in the vest?  I didn't read that from the account.

If a suicide, seems this poor fellow went to the trouble to never be found, thus no phone, wallet or note.  Just didn't realize decomposition would float the body right back up again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Sorry you're wrong. The average person is only 2 to 3 kg positively buoyant in sea water, at the most. (ask any SCUBA diver) Some don't even float at all.

A little off topic I know, but related all the same......... 

I was so pleased to read your comment about "some don't even float at all", because many years ago I had to do an underwater escape course from a helicopter (I was working in the North sea at the time) and the divers who were supervising this exercise determined that because I didn't float, I was a "non-buoyant".  So to be able to recognise me from others who could swim/float, I had to wear a red crash helmet throughout the whole exercise of being strapped into helicopter and submerged in a huge/massive tankful of water, at the Royal Navy establishment at Portsmouth.

It was a bloody frightening, if not horrifying experience, having to do this four times when I couldn't swim.

The few times that I've spoken about this, nobody believes that I couldn't float in the water and that there was such a thing as a "non-buoyant" – – – thank you.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2020 at 8:30 AM, Moonlover said:

Why would they give a murder victim a life jacket?

I was a bit confused by this at first. A rock tied to his neck and a life jacket by his feet. How puzzling.

Then the penny dropped. Float the rock out to sea in the life jacket, throw the rock overboard and down you go. I'll go for suicide. Very sad and somewhat disturbing that there are so many here.

Lucky the rock did'nt float then.

• Sad 1

Doubt he could swim 400m with a rock heavy enough to drown him.

Boat captains and / or staff should count how many get on, and how many get off, ad raise the alarm if one short.

Or, he was murdered, either on the boat, or elsewhere, and it's being made to look like a suicide.

It would be interesting to know a little about the background of the deceased. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 12:30 PM, Moonlover said:

Why would they give a murder victim a life jacket?

I was a bit confused by this at first. A rock tied to his neck and a life jacket by his feet. How puzzling.

A different approach from the Pattaya Parachute club.

RIP.