Head in hands! Poor food delivery guy left with pizzas and chicken rejected by customers

webfact

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Why was it rejected? 

Any number of reasons. I’ve rejected food before because I’ve opened the door and they are coughing on the box or bag, smoking, smell strongly of alcohol, or are holding the pizza box at an angle. It’s endless here. The guys delivering the food are usually dirty with poor hygiene.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

Which seems strange. Ordering a taxi / motorcycle through Grab is card pre-payment,...no cash involved. I thought the same for food. They'll have to enforce this pre-payment for food, then the buyer can seek recourse solely from the vendor and leave the delivery driver alone.

I pay cash with grab, I never prepay.

Food delivery companies are probably already running at no profit and don't have any money to spare for their drivers, how else could I order a chicken on rice for 45 baht and get a free delivery 2 kilometers away ?

Edited by yokat
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, metempsychotic said:

If you are that precious, I would suggest you dont order in.

Since the inception of food delivery I have never once had an obviously filthy driver, though riding around in traffic makes it impossible to remain clean. Nor havr I had a drunk or smoking delivery guy.

These are people who work HARD for a baht, they do not deserve abuse from supercilious <deleted> like yourself.

You seem to be discounting another persons experience out of hand

Yes I think every Thai works hard to make a baht, some are definately struggling as we farang will never experience, but some have had bad experoences with delivery persons it seems

1 minute ago, yokat said:

Food delivery companies are probably already running at no profit and don't have any money to spare for their drivers, how else could I order a chicken on rice for 45 baht and get a free delivery 2 kilometers away ?

hey big spender ....   lol   do you get a coke as well 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Should make food delivery payments card only to avoid issues like this. 

Last time I checked, with Domino's TH (I know they're not the pizza firm involved here, but just as an example), I don't think you can do a direct delivery order with them by phone or their app or website and pay by bank card. AFAIK, the only way their deliveries work are by COD.

You can pay by bank card in their shops for eat-in or take out. But for delivery, cash only -- at least it was the last time I ordered from them. I've never understood why probably the newest big pizza chain to TH is so backwards about that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I have rejected food before.  Don’t know how every service works but with the one I use in Bangkok, I can see when the driver picks up the food and the route he takes to my condo.  I’m always down in my lobby waiting for them so when they call, I am already there. I tip a minimum of 50 baht. 

On the rare occasion that I have refused food it was either...

Having them take well over an hour to come from a restaurant one or two BTS stops away when the traffic was flowing freely.  While I watched the “dot” sit on the map on a side street.  (Did he stop to have a beer?) 

I have had them call me, insisting that they are in my lobby when they aren’t, leaving me to wait an additional 20 minutes before they lazily arrive, park, play on their phones for a few minutes and then saunter over to me handing me a bag of stone cold food.

A friend who owns a restaurant that uses the service had to raise hell with the delivery service because the drivers would pick up the food and then hang out outside his shop playing on their phone for 10-15 minutes before leaving.  Sometime he would have to go outside and chase them off when coming back outside to deliver the next order, saw that they haven’t left yet.

So...sometimes, the drivers are <deleted> and really shouldn’t be in that business.  If they have to lose money to learn their lesson, so be it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I have rejected food before.  Don’t know how every service works but with the one I use in Bangkok, I can see when the driver picks up the food and the route he takes to my condo.  I’m always down in my lobby waiting for them so when they call, I am already there. I tip a minimum of 50 baht. 

On the rare occasion that I have refused food it was either...

Having them take well over an hour to come from a restaurant one or two BTS stops away when the traffic was flowing freely.  While I watched the “dot” sit on the map on a side street.  (Did he stop to have a beer?) 

I have had them call me, insisting that they are in my lobby when they aren’t, leaving me to wait an additional 20 minutes before they lazily arrive, park, play on their phones for a few minutes and then saunter over to me handing me a bag of stone cold food.

A friend who owns a restaurant that uses the service had to raise hell with the delivery service because the drivers would pick up the food and then hang out outside his shop playing on their phone for 10-15 minutes before leaving.  Sometime he would have to go outside and chase them off when coming back outside to deliver the next order, saw that they haven’t left yet.

So...sometimes, the drivers are <deleted> and really shouldn’t be in that business.  If they have to lose money to learn their lesson, so be it.

To follow up on my comment...discussing this currently with my GF.

She says that Thai people will do stuff like this maliciously.  They will place big orders (30 Thai teas for example) and then just turn off their phone.  Then, when it is in the news, people will copy the “crime”.  Now that is $#@5$.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Unanswered in the OP article is why the driver couldn't simply return the unaccepted food to the restaurant and get a refund of whatever money he had fronted, given that the delivery had been rejected.  Is it really the policy of the restaurant to hold the driver responsible for COD orders that are refused at the door?

It is if he was 3 hours late.

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

If you are that precious, I would suggest you dont order in.

Since the inception of food delivery I have never once had an obviously filthy driver, though riding around in traffic makes it impossible to remain clean. Nor havr I had a drunk or smoking delivery guy.

These are people who work HARD for a baht, they do not deserve abuse from supercilious <deleted> like yourself.

I don't understand how he can live in thailand where ever minute you see someone digging his her nose, soidogs everywhere, people sneezing above food and so on.....it's sure not a clean hygienic country like we have in Europe.

• Like 1

Most of the restaurants promise 30 mins delivery time. If the motorcycle guy is way beyond this time the customer has every right to refuse acceptance of a supposed to be hot but cold meal.

Having once accepted a cold pizza delivered 1 hour and 40 minutes after ordering, I would not repeat my tolerance ???? Not enough info in the O.P.

I ordered from a service in Pattaya a few days back.  App said 35 minutes, after a couple of apologetic messages, it came in 65 minutes.  Piping hot, so not the drivers fault, restaurant busy, I was even more ready for the food by that point.

This business of going down to reception though.  No.  I don't mind tipping, but I expect delivery to my door.

I don't know how this delivery thing works in Thailand. From what I understand here in Laos, the delivery people pay a 30% premium and then charge the customer. 

So if someone orders $10 worth of food the delivery guy pays the store $13 and then charges the customer $13 and hopes for a tip. I think. Perhaps the delivery person charges the customer $14. 

I don't use the delivery service because it sure seems to be taking advantage of people. 

Pizza left out from the time of cooking over 2 hours should be discarded to avoid possible phone poisoning. Grab says how long it will take for delivery and also updates the delivery progress in real time. 

edit: the last pizza we ordered from pizza company, the driver put the pizzas on his bike vertically. When we opened the boxes, all the toppings had collected onto the side of the box. I felt bad and still paid though..

Edited by lust
  • Like 1