Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Mosha said:

If I remember correctly there was a report about a week ago that some members of the Ferrari technical team also had contacted the virus and were in quarantine.

 

Race direction has already taken some measures like no signatures etc, I think it's still not too late for the race to be cancelled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there were also four Haas team members tested for the virus. Apparently their tests all came negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Formula 1, FIA and AGPC announce cancellation of the 2020 Australian Grand Prix

This weekend’s season-opening Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne has been cancelled. The news follows McLaren’s withdrawal from the race on Thursday, after one of their team members tested positive for the coronavirus.

 

A statement issued jointly by F1, governing body the FIA and the Australian Grand Prix Corporation read: "Following the confirmation that a member of the McLaren Racing Team has tested positive for COVID-19 and the team’s decision to withdraw from the Australian Grand Prix, Formula 1 and the FIA convened a meeting of the other nine team principals on Thursday evening. Those discussions concluded with a majority view of the teams that the race should not go ahead.

 

"Formula 1 and the FIA, with the full support of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) have therefore taken the decision that all Formula 1 activity for the Australian Grand Prix are cancelled.

 

"We appreciate this is very disappointing news for the thousands of fans due to attend the race and all ticket holders will receive a full refund and a further announcement will be communicated in due course.

 

"All parties took into consideration the huge efforts of the AGPC, Motorsport Australia, staff and volunteers to stage the opening round of the 2020 FIA Formula One World Championship in Melbourne, however concluded that the safety of all members of the Formula 1 family and the wider community, as well as the fairness of the competition take priority."

 

Read the full story here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 unconfirmed story is that Seb and Kimi left the track before an official announcement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

f1_cancel.jpg

 

Due to the continued global spread of COVID-19 and after ongoing discussions with the FIA, and race organisers a decision has been taken by all parties to postpone the Bahrain Grand Prix and the Vietnam Grand Prix due to take place on March 20-22 and April 3-5 respectively

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dutch and Spanish Grands Prix organisers in talks with F1 over evolving situation

Following the news that the first four races of the Formula 1 season have been cancelled or postponed, the organisers of the Dutch and Spanish Grands Prix have announced they are in consultation with F1 and the FIA about what the situation means for their events.

 

The Australian Grand Prix was cancelled on Friday morning, after a member of the McLaren team in Melbourne tested positive for coronavirus. That followed the announcement last month that the Chinese Grand Prix, scheduled for 17th - 19th April, was to be called off.

 

And later on Friday morning, both the Bahrain Grand Prix, originally set to be held next weekend, and the Vietnam Grand Prix, planned for the 3rd - 5th of April, were postponed in light of the escalating situation with the virus outbreak.

 

The next two races on the calendar are the Dutch Grand Prix, set for 1st - 3rd May, and the Spanish Grand Prix a week later.

 

And now organisers of both have announced they are in talks with Formula 1 and the FIA about what the current situation could mean for their races.

 

Dutch race officials released a statement on Friday that said: "Based on reports from Formula One Management and FIA, we are in joint consultation with them about the possible consequences for the Formula 1 Heineken Dutch Grand Prix.

 

"These are not yet fully known, but in the event of possible postponement, all tickets will remain valid. As soon as more news is known, we will share it with all parties involved."

 

Read more here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if True Visions is showing the virtual race this weekend, and what channel? TIA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zak Brown: McLaren boss says F1 needs big changes to survive

Quote

Formula 1 is "in a very fragile state" as a result of the coronavirus crisis and needs big changes to survive, McLaren boss Zak Brown says.

"This is potentially devastating to teams, and if [it is devastating] to enough teams - which doesn't have to mean more than two - then very threatening to F1 as a whole," he said.

Cost-saving plans will be discussed at a meeting of F1 bosses on Monday.

Zak went on to say the planed cut to the budget for 2021 needs to go further so will the future of F1 look something like this?

verstappen-soapbox-red-bull-zeepkistenrace.jpg.6773f2471a5e98ac51ff13eabfe56481.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen on BBC's ticker bar.

Sebastian Vettel is leaving Ferrari at the end of this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...