Phuket: Speedboat captains charged

webfact

Speedboat captains charged

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1581476371_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana and Marine Department Chief Witthaya Yamuang inspect the ALP 11 tour speedboat on Monday (Feb 10). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Both boat drivers involved in the tour speedboat collision that killed two Russian children and injured more than a dozen tourists on Monday have been charged with reckless behaviour causing death and injury, police have confirmed.

The collision, between tour speedboat “ALP 111” and tour speedboat “Payan 5”, occurred in the channel linking Phuket Boat Lagoon and Royal Phuket Marina to Phang Nga Bay at about 8am on Monday (Feb 10).

The Payan 5, operated by Seastar Tour Co, was en route from Laem Nga in Rassada to pick tourists up at Royal Phuket Marina when the accident happened.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/speedboat-captains-charged-74789.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-02-12
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Now it’s time to charge the owners of the Thai-Ukrainian company who did not allow the drivers to slow down to the displacement speed in the Channel.

Is time to invest some money into the channel dredging again. It’s just unsafe. 

Edited by Gene1960
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Gene1960 said:

Now it’s time to charge the owners of the Thai-Ukrainian company who did not allow the drivers to go down to the displacement speed in the Channel.

Is time to invest some money into the channel dredging again. It’s just unsafe. 

Excuse my ignorance - why is it unsafe? due to poor dredging alone?

Also what is the speed limit & how do we know how fast they where travelling?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gene1960 said:

In my opinion, it’s too shallow in low tide, the heavy speedboats, loaded with passengers, sit too low in the water at displacement speeds, drivers need their boats to plane and lift out of shallow water, that’s why they speed up, to lift the boat. But they drive too  fast even when the water is high. 

In the channel the speed limit is five knots. There’s a video of the collision somewhere in the threads, it’s obvious that the speed was above 20 knots. The regular Thai speedboat has a shallow v-bottom hull, Loaded , it usually planes at speeds above 18 knots. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Without stiff penalties it will change nothing, all of these so called captains should be made to complete a professional boat handling course, pass a certified test then receive an appropriate licence which can be taken away if they fall foul of rules or regulations - What am I saying, this is Thailand where rules and regulations mean nothing........LOL 

make comprehensive, passenger covering, insurance madatory and make that insurance cover contingent on the skippers having an internationally recognised qualification for handling these baots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saminoz said:

make comprehensive, passenger covering, insurance madatory and make that insurance cover contingent on the skippers having an internationally recognised qualification for handling these baots.

It would not work here in Thailand. A lot of boat trips are done by the local Longtail boats with its mostly Muslim owners / operators. Who will dare to demand the boating licenses from those families?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, saminoz said:

"internationally recognised qualification" ??

Where have you been.....even airline pilots here don't have that level of qualification....!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, digger70 said:

And maybe Insured ,,,, Nah that's to much to ask.

I think even Thai insurance companies would be reluctant to insure Thai boat drivers. Risk would far outweigh any premiums they could charge. So usually not insured and little financial redress available through the courts.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

I think even Thai insurance companies would be reluctant to insure Thai boat drivers. Risk would far outweigh any premiums they could charge. So usually not insured and little financial redress available through the courts.

Insurance is compulsory by law - the tour companies cannot get their licence to operate without it - and I believe I've already seen the insurance limits mentioned as well as the company in another article.

• Like 1