Thailand road carnage: Overtaking trucker arrested as 13 students injured on way home from school

webfact

Thailand road carnage: Overtaking trucker arrested as 13 students injured on way home from school

9pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Thirteen students and a female driver were injured after their pick-up collided with a wall following a collision with a truck that was overtaking.

The accident happened on Route 21 the Lopburi to Petchabun Road near the Saha Farm in Chai Badan district. 

The students were on their way home to the villages of Ban Wang Sai and Ban Klong Kratang. 

Rescuers and Chai Badan police were greeted with children covered in blood and screaming for help. 

Driver Mallika, 28, was also injured. 

9pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

The four most seriously injured students were taken to Chai Badan hospital first followed by the others. 

Some 50 meters away a Hino truck had come to a stop. The driver, Karan, aged 39, said he was following the pick-up and tried to overtake. 

But a vehicle came in the opposite direction forcing him to abandon his maneuver and resulting in him clipping the pick-up.

Chai Badan police arrested him and took him away. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-12
  • Sad 2

Horrible! The word morons seems to be all to meaningless nowadays. Again an avoidable accident if people just care to think little bit. 

Just another thought, might be that they stop driving children and students in unsafe cars. Like rebuilt pick ups, for example.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Overtaking on a blind bend?? Where is the risk in that!!????????????????

I read both reports, I can't see in either of them where it said he overtook on a blind bend ? Can you enlighten us, I know that the translate function isn't very good so I could be wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Overtaking on a blind bend?? Where is the risk in that!!????????????????

Nothing really, no see - no traffic.

Seriouslu though, very many Thai drivers simply can't think ahead, which makes the the roads very dangerous.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I read both reports, I can't see in either of them where it said he overtook on a blind bend ? Can you enlighten us, I know that the translate function isn't very good so I could be wrong.

Read what he said. Look everday when you drive. He could not see in front!! Then it is a blind bend!

Highway 21 is a duel carriage way with very few bends. He said that another vehicle came toward him forcing him to cancel his overtaking but clipping the pick up in the process. For him to meet someone head on they would have to be going the wrong way down the left hand carriage way. Go figure

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 1:36 PM, gunderhill said:

Had a  nice  Hino driver about 18  inches from my ass  last  night in heavy traffic, trying everything he could to  pass despite the road being  full of other vehicles and with nowhere to go. I  turned  right eventually before  tugging the handbrake as I did it, get sick of these <deleted>.

Keep him behind you until you come to a hill, slow him down  with a couple if typical thai maneuverers until he is almost stopped, then waive goodbye as he creeps uphill. 

On 2/12/2020 at 2:09 PM, Assurancetourix said:

This is typical Thai logic; I don't see anyone in front so there's no one ...

They do not take care of checking whether it is in a bend or before the summit of a hill ...

or a bridge. which is blind, when driving up/over it....can only see then one has got on top or going down on the other side !!