Chiang Mai reels under impact of new coronavirus as tourists stay away

webfact

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Good. I'm coming back in a week, and the fewer plague carriers around, the better for me.

For residents of Thailand ... Thai National and Expat .... guess what ... we see YOU as a "Plague Carrier."  Just off a long international flight, happily heading to our hotels, restaurants, taxis, mass transit ... etc ... unable to even determine for 14 - 24 days if you are contagious.  News Flash:  Being white does not make you immune to disease .. in fact ... from what i see in casual observations ... farang have an arrogant confidence that defeats precautionary measures.  Many are filthy, using toilets without washing hands with soap, coughing into their hands and just going right ahead and putting their hands on the next thing, shaking hands like that is not an ideal way to spread a virus, oh ... and spending "quality time" with girls whose day consists of "very close contact" with foreigners from all over the world, and on, and on , and on.  Just stay in Frangatopia and come back next year.  "Thanks"  

10 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

For residents of Thailand ... Thai National and Expat .... guess what ... we see YOU as a "Plague Carrier."  Just off a long international flight, happily heading to our hotels, restaurants, taxis, mass transit ... etc ... unable to even determine for 14 - 24 days if you are contagious.

DING DING DING.

You are correct, sir or madam.

Flu viruses which kill 650,000 people worldwide every year start out in the west and are brought to SEA every year by mostly 2 week tourists.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year. ????

P.S. Who's gullible enough to invest in Thai equities?!?!? ????

Screenshot_20200211_202852~2.jpg

Edited by SiSePuede419

4 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Government ministers like Anutin are in the pockets of the Yuan and Bhat merchants who in turn are in the pockets of big Chinese/Thai business interests. They don't give two hoots about the livelihoods of Lek or Somchai Bloggs.

Anutin's net wort was  4.2 billion baht (2019) according to wikipedia. Why should he care, question is why is he still 'working'?

18 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

DING DING DING.

You are correct, sir or madam.

Flu viruses which kill 650,000 people worldwide every year start out in the west and are brought to SEA every year by mostly 2 week tourists.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year. ????

P.S. Who's gullible enough to invest in Thai equities?!?!? ????

Screenshot_20200211_202852~2.jpg

555 ... That name .. Bangkok Equity goes back 10 years ... you are spot on!  

On 2/12/2020 at 12:47 PM, Nakmuay887 said:

Better buckle up. Many reports say the virus won't even peak for another 3 months. 

Awesome let’s hope this country learns from this and to screen all these disgusting people that eat anything before they allowed to enter the country Thailand is doomed and to be fair fcukn good 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/12/2020 at 4:47 PM, Nakmuay887 said:

Better buckle up. Many reports say the virus won't even peak for another 3 months. 

Two weeks ago the numbers were 9,776, today, 60,332, if the spread continues at the same rate, in 12 months that would be 1,568,632 people infected, the sad fact is, if it did multiply, it would multiply by 4-6 or 6,274,528 - 9,411,792.

Only numbers right ?

All this does wonders for the environment. No air travel or boat travel from China. Must reduce the  CO2 emissions somewhat.I

10 million people's worth, stopped in an instance.

Oh, sorry, the tourist industry is decimated. Everyone is out of work, hotels and restaurants empty, tourist guides laid off, tuk-tuk, taxi and van drivers pulled up and parked. 

Tourist buses mothballed.

What fun... 

write 100 lines: I must stop being a cynical, grumpy, negative old git.

2 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

For residents of Thailand ... Thai National and Expat .... guess what ... we see YOU as a "Plague Carrier."  Just off a long international flight, happily heading to our hotels, restaurants, taxis, mass transit ... etc ... unable to even determine for 14 - 24 days if you are contagious.  News Flash:  Being white does not make you immune to disease .. in fact ... from what i see in casual observations ... farang have an arrogant confidence that defeats precautionary measures.  Many are filthy, using toilets without washing hands with soap, coughing into their hands and just going right ahead and putting their hands on the next thing, shaking hands like that is not an ideal way to spread a virus, oh ... and spending "quality time" with girls whose day consists of "very close contact" with foreigners from all over the world, and on, and on , and on.  Just stay in Frangatopia and come back next year.  "Thanks"  

I just wish that most Thais were as sincere as you. Unfortunately you aren't this sincere either, when in the presence of farangs you would never make your point this clear! <Frangatopia> Great place where people actually speak a language with clear cut grammar and pronunciation rules, not some kind of tonal mess!

5 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Ha, I don't want to post something that might be classed as 'scaremongering' but yesterday I read an article by the Chairman of the Hong Kong Health Committee (via the Guardian Newspaper but I actually read it in a journal)). He said that this virus could infect 60% of the world's population and kill about 50 million people, that is, if it isn't halted. The 60% part isn't that bad because many might get infected and not know it as the symptoms might be mild and not be much of a problem. But killing 50 million...that's quite another 'kettle of fish' as they say. 'Stop the world I want to get off' might be appropriate here.

I read earlier that a pathology professor in Hong Kong was interviewed and he said that the corona virus and similar one's like sars don't like heat and high humidity so the epidemic should drop off in May. 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/coronavirus-expert-says-the-virus-will-burn-itself-out-in-about-6-months/679415

On 2/12/2020 at 1:31 PM, smedly said:

people enjoy wearing masks on holiday didn't you know - it's so much fun That the Thai health minister is giving out for (deleted) free

Surgical masks are designed for people doing surgery.  The more effective N95 masks are all sold out.   If you don't mind wearing a mask, than stay away, because you cannot but them here

3 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

I just wish that most Thais were as sincere as you. Unfortunately you aren't this sincere either, when in the presence of farangs you would never make your point this clear! <Frangatopia> Great place where people actually speak a language with clear cut grammar and pronunciation rules, not some kind of tonal mess!

Where did you get the idea I am Thai?  I am American .. and by the way ... my "brand" is telling people what I think of them, while looking them in the eye.  Here is an example "It is simply idiotic to say one language is superior to another, based on its familiar sound to you.  It is laughable that you are so small mined that because you can not learn Thai ... it is inferior and bad."  This is a sterling example of the xenophobic view may foreigners have. Clear enough?

On 2/12/2020 at 6:34 AM, NCC1701A said:

I remember in 2008 when I began researching Thailand on the web everything was retire to CM, CM, CM.

In 2008 I was living in Chiang Mai and had been for some years and we were coughing and spluttering then, when they were burning. In fact that is when quite a few people left because of the polluted air . I left a year or so later when it started to affect our son's health. 

On 2/12/2020 at 1:08 PM, crabbie2020 said:

FANTASTIC NEWS!

MAYBE THE THAIS WILL APPRECIATE US FALANG NOW!!!!

Yeah, like the Thai Health Minister "Da*n Farangs" Anutin? 

Edited by connda

On 2/13/2020 at 1:35 PM, Lacrimas said:

On a working day at lunch time Central Festival is ALWAYS like that. Go back on the weekend and take a pic.

You probably have never been there at that time.

Your comment is false and has nothing to do with a working day.

The top photo is restaurant row at about 1230.

Normally many tourists/people eating, walking around looking for a place to eat.

Edited by bkk6060

Yesterday there was a a commercial aircraft flying into CM every 10-15min over our area in Mae Rim,all day! This was so usual that even Thai's were looking up and perhaps wondering..WT?

Sometimes we see a few coming in from the north or looping to BKK. But this was just plain odd.

Edited by HaleySabai

On 2/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, TKDfella said:

Ha, I don't want to post something that might be classed as 'scaremongering' but yesterday I read an article by the Chairman of the Hong Kong Health Committee (via the Guardian Newspaper but I actually read it in a journal)). He said that this virus could infect 60% of the world's population and kill about 50 million people, that is, if it isn't halted. The 60% part isn't that bad because many might get infected and not know it as the symptoms might be mild and not be much of a problem. But killing 50 million...that's quite another 'kettle of fish' as they say. 'Stop the world I want to get off' might be appropriate here.

50 million would be a drop in the bucket for countries like Indian and China . They could do with ten times that amount . 

On 2/15/2020 at 3:02 AM, bkk6060 said:

You probably have never been there at that time.

Your comment is false and has nothing to do with a working day.

The top photo is restaurant row at about 1230.

Normally many tourists/people eating, walking around looking for a place to eat.

No it is you taking picture on a working day, sorry. Central Festival is deserted at lunch time Monday to Friday. It gets full in the evening and in the WE.