Not just Chinese travellers staying away as virus shakes Thai tourism

webfact

2 hours ago, saengd said:

He would be making at least that much.

Really? Never knew that. I'll tell my entire family to drop their positions to become tuktuk drivers. My wife is a manager for MG and barely makes half of that. I guess she's in the wrong business then.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 1:27 PM, mrwinner said:

Well these xenophobic comments by the Thai Public Health Minister which have now been viewed by over 700,000 people certainly didn't help the cause as it shows what the Thai Government really think of us behind the scenes. Karma at it's best!

Hey Anutin.  Tell the world what's on your mind:
"Damn farangs.  Damn farang tourists.". 
Ahhh, Thai ministerial xenophobia at it's finest!!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HOAX said:

Really? Never knew that. I'll tell my entire family to drop their positions to become tuktuk drivers. My wife is a manager for MG and barely makes half of that. I guess she's in the wrong business then.

My wife was a receptionist for an Anantara (chain) hotel. Including service charge each month she took home over 40k each month and that was eight years ago, today the service charge element means staff take home over 50k most months.

• Confused 1

On 2/12/2020 at 8:41 PM, bkkcanuck8 said:

No, just Vietnam is likely being much more honest about the impact while at the end of the year TAT will likely say tourism grew by 5% YOY again (just like they do when the shop owners are saying tourism off by 30 - 40%). 

The impact will be sharp and staggering this year, and then it will likely be many years for it to recuperate as people will continue to have altered their travel patterns (especially companies which will encourage less travel / conferences and more teleconferencing again) -- and until the memory fades a little those travel patterns will be depressed - hitting tourism even after the pandemic has burnt itself out.

Vietnam has done a good job relatively speaking. Everyone's done a better job than China.

17 hours ago, zydeco said:

Or have someone take action for you. According to the Bangkok Post, Vietnam has now quarantined an area as well. First outside of China to do so.

Vietnam has seemed fairly transparent in how they're dealing with this. There have been reports of some larger quarantine "hospitals" in areas around Hanoi where the majority of cases seem to be.

As of yesterday, things may have changed - it's hard to tell. I had heard of a 500 bed area near HCM but no cases were mentioned. Yesterday, it was announced that schools would closed through February and for the first time that I've seen, 65 cases were in "self-quarantine", meaning being monitored at home. This number seemed to come out of nowhere.

21 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I have read the virus will survive on many surfaces for days or weeks so how does it just dry up and go away?  Also if its in the air whether droplet or not and the wind is carrying it I would think it is airborne for a period would you not?

How Does Coronavirus Spread and How Contagious Is It? What We Know So Far

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/how-does-coronavirus-spread-and-how-contagious-is-it-what-we-know-so-far/ar-BBZVoti?ocid=msn360

Additional information from around the world:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/facts-about-the-coronavirus-outbreak/sl-BBZbvEg?OCID=PrimeSpotlight

On 2/13/2020 at 8:49 AM, saengd said:

69 million innocent Thai people send their thanks for your kind sentiment and wish you the best!

Did u personally check with the 69 million people.

As per my observation the locals no longer appreciate foreigner's presence in los. 

The same farangs who gave millions of thais a chance to earn their daily noodles and soup and also married their bar girl daughters and wives.????????

And now the same farangs are unwanted. 

On 2/13/2020 at 9:04 AM, Miami007 said:

That 12% of the economy supports a lot of real human beings. And most of the staff in hotels, restaurants etc are really not involved in making decisions which impact tourists. 

And does anyone really believe that the elite responsible for the direction of the country will suffer like the regular people??

Please tell those real human beings to show me some respect the next time I check in. 

1 hour ago, lovethai123 said:

Did u personally check with the 69 million people.

As per my observation the locals no longer appreciate foreigner's presence in los. 

The same farangs who gave millions of thais a chance to earn their daily noodles and soup and also married their bar girl daughters and wives.????????

And now the same farangs are unwanted. 

Yes!

They all said the same thing, any farang who talks about Thailand and bar-girls in the same sentence won't really know what they're talking about.

3 minutes ago, saengd said:

Yes!

They all said the same thing, any farang who talks about Thailand and bar-girls in the same sentence won't really know what they're talking about.

May be they shoud stop sending their daughters and wives to work in bars then.

But they enjoy the money that the daughter sends them in the morning after working hard all night.

Just now, lovethai123 said:

May be they shoud stop sending their daughters and wives to work in bars then.

But they enjoy the money that the daughter sends them in the morning after working hard all night.

The 69 million, and me, rest their case.

21 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Scientists say the pangolin endangered by Chinese smuggling passed the coronavirus to humans

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/m/c8d7bef0-6fc4-3bd0-9dd4-e5fb35ee7db2/scientists-say-the-pangolin.html

3f32bd28f9be11444c36308d8fb0a82f.jpg

Well hopefully that will get through in China and the poor creatures might be left alone.

Needs big headlines on social media.

Eating tigers willies shrinks your willie.

Eating bats will cause you to die in pain just after your willie drops off.

Eating pangolin will shrink your goolies and then your willie will drop off.

The people who tell you all the above is not true are only saying it's not true because their willies have dropped off and they want yours to drop off as well.

Spread the gospel on eating wild life and willies dropping off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2020 at 4:45 PM, Tony125 said:

For your information:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/can-the-coronavirus-be-spread-through-the-air

Q: CAN THE VIRUS BE TRANSMITTED THROUGH THE AIR AND WILL I CATCH IT FROM BREATHING IT IN EVEN IF THE DROPLETS HAVE EVAPORATED?

A: There is currently no strong evidence to support the claim that the virus can be transmitted through the air.

It is believed to be spread mainly through droplets, such as from the mucus or saliva of an infected person who sneezes or coughs.

Infectious diseases expert Leong Hoe Nam said the virus is likely to die when the droplets dry up.

Experts say if the virus could really survive even after the droplets carrying it have dried up, it would have spread through the air as dust particles and potentially infected 10 times more people, which is not the case.

Last week, a Shanghai official, Mr Zeng Qun, said the virus could spread through aerosol transmission, or the mixing of the virus with airborne liquid droplets.

*** Therefore the masks can prevent those who have it from spreading it thru coughs/sneezing and somewhat protect others from being sprayed in face when the infected sneeze. Have seen nurses wearing masks and face shields-----face shields protect your eyes from getting sprayed ( droplets) by patients sneezing but would not protect from airborn virus. Washing hands or using alcohol to wipe them and surfaces sparyed on will also lessen the chance of infection. ***

I read or heard that it is airborne ( I don't remember exactly how or when I did ). If that's incorrect, apologies.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Coronavirus deaths and infections spike outside China, worrying officials

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/coronavirus-deaths-and-infections-spike-outside-china-worrying-officials/ar-BB10iYqY?li=us')%26%24orderby%3d'displayPublishedDateTime'+desc

As Pandemic Looms, World’s Top Disease Fighter Engages Xi

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/as-pandemic-looms-worlds-top-disease-fighter-engages-xi/ar-BB10iQ6S?li=BBnb7Kz

Tedros needs the support of China’s all-powerful President Xi Jinping to increase on-the-ground access for the world’s best infectious disease experts. Xi, meanwhile, is facing public anger over his government’s handling of the crisis and has bristled at foreign criticism.

Edited by Tony125