Not just Chinese travellers staying away as virus shakes Thai tourism

webfact

18 hours ago, DLock said:

I didn't say a whole country.

Tourism is only 12% of GDP...and yep, love to see every one of those 12% decimated.

They don't deserve a tourism industry for the myriad of reasons constantly documented on Thaivisa.

If I treated my customers the way Thailand treats it's tourists, then I deserve to be ruined also.

That 12% of the economy supports a lot of real human beings. And most of the staff in hotels, restaurants etc are really not involved in making decisions which impact tourists. 

And does anyone really believe that the elite responsible for the direction of the country will suffer like the regular people??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Cars kill more people in a week that have died from Corona virus, but there is no mass hysteria to stop people driving. The media has much to answer for, IMO.

You just don't get it, forget the media look what's really happening with this virus, open your eyes

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

6 years of bashing and hating on foreigners by this toxic, racist administration did not help to promote Thailand, to Westerners. 

Now, they gambled big, by putting all of their eggs in the China basket and they lost the bet. 

Since Thailand is #2 in the world In Corona cases, you can see why tourists might think twice. 

It is a perfect storm for tourism here. The industry may never fully recover. And that is a good thing for most of us. Quantity over quality reduces the quality of life for all. 

Incorrect .

Fifth in the world.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

Again, the junta treating tourists has backfired by not valuing the regular tourists they had before the coup.  That is the trouble with an outfit that gets its bowl of rice no matter if the country is starving.  They think things will never change and we see that they do change abruptly, without warning. 

There are foreigners all over the place in Saigon doing thing unimaginable in junta mania. 

The future is saying hello to Vietnam and goodbye to Thailand.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Boo hoo for Thailand. 

It's a GLOBAL audience this virus. 

If China catches a cold the whole world sneezes...

Shark Fin restaurant in Melbourne has just closed. 

100 year tradition.

Patrons are down 80%..

Its going take a lot of shaking off sadly...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, smedly said:

But according to all the data released by the Thai government there is no real virus problem in Thailand - only 34 cases and most of them are all recovered 

So what is wrong with these people - do they not believe what the Thai Government are saying ???????  :post-4641-1156694572:

What's the road toll and flu toll?

People listen to news too much.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, monkfish said:

A lot of people on social media complaining about Hotels not refunding booking cancellations so i was wondering at what point legally they will have to start issuing refunds.

So isn’t that what travel insurance is for ? Hotels probably view the absence of guest as “no shows”. Can’t blame them, they have a business to run too.

• Like 2

Tourism is more than 12% of Thai GDP. How much, one cannot say with any certainty. And a good share of that GDP goes to foreign owners of tourism businesses who hide behind Thai strawmen. That is especially true regarding Chinese tourists.

So we don't know how big a role the arrivals of non-Thais to the Kingdom plays in the real economy. But we do know this - for any country, a 2% or 3% contraction of the economy is an absolute disaster, typically with political consequences.

The HiSo can take it on the chin for a few years, but the 9,000-baht-a-month workers of Thailand cannot take it at all. For any amount of time.

This either results in a political movement threatening the current national order, perhaps leading to the return of martial law. Or the current regime desperately accepting Chinese development projects to stimulate domestic growth, perhaps leading to TH becoming another Chinese protectorate, along the lines of Cambodia and Laos.

It's all bad news for Thai people, and not what they, or anyone else, deserve.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, smedly said:

So what is wrong with these people - do they not believe what the Thai Government are saying ???????  :post-4641-1156694572:

Err.

Next question...

This is asked by a minister who is part of one of the most corrupt countries in the world. 

5 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

It was much easier in 1918 to enforce a quarantine.

Today: a Singaporean Person A goes to China - gets infected but doesn't show symptoms.  He goes back to his office in Singapore. Has meetings with another person B and infects him. Then Person B ttavels to the USA to meet with HQ. All in less than 1 week. And as Person B was never in China, he can enter the USA

We would have to completely shut down travel worldwide, which is simply not an option 

Actually, in 1918 it was far more difficult because there was a war on and troops were moving around world wide and by the second, more deadly wave, peace had broken out and the same troops returned to their home countries spreading the virus hugely.

This article seems to suggest there were 15000 deaths in Australia from the 'Spanish' flu

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/spotlight/inside-australias-worst-ever-flu-epidemic-incredible-photos-reveal-the-country-grappling-with-deadly-outbreak-that-killed-15000-people-in-less-than-a-year-–-and-experts-say-it-is-inevitable-it-will-happen-again/ar-BBWlb9c?li=BBoPWjQ&page=1

20 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

The virus and then rude government officals spouting dislike for foreigners and the mass shooting should just about finish all the tourism off. Well done! and it is all connected to the military one way or the other. 

It's noticeable that the various Opposition Parties have also not commented on the minister's outburst. Suggests whatever flavor government the opinions on some issues are the same.

One mass shooting, the first, and hopefully the only one. Does the somewhat more numerous ones that regularly happen in the US put tourists of going there? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, monkfish said:

A lot of people on social media complaining about Hotels not refunding booking cancellations so i was wondering at what point legally they will have to start issuing refunds.

They can always play the "force majeure" card. There's no law saying they have to refund. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DLock said:

I didn't say a whole country.

Tourism is only 12% of GDP...and yep, love to see every one of those 12% decimated.

They don't deserve a tourism industry for the myriad of reasons constantly documented on Thaivisa.

If I treated my customers the way Thailand treats it's tourists, then I deserve to be ruined also.

Do you use a broad brush when you paint ?

There is much talk about tourist numbers being decimated..

I live in Jomtien and there are MANY more tourists here than at the same time last year.

All the beach vendors are busy, restaurants and bars are busy, many people at the morning markets, and walking in the streets.

Finding a parking spot is impossible.. Almost impossible to find a spare table at the night market.. !! 

Maybe they have all come here?? 

• Like 2