Not just Chinese travellers staying away as virus shakes Thai tourism

webfact

17 hours ago, saengd said:

Do you really think this virus scare will last forever?

Do you really think the Chinese will not return?

Do you really think that Thai tourism will not reinvent itself like it has done so many times before?

Really?

Thai tourism has hardly reinvented itself so many times before. It's not been a major tourist destination long enough to have done so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Why should it, the trade surplus and current account surplus is still there.

The current account surplus is slipping fast.

Thailand's baht currency is likely to weaken on more foreign selling, a lower current account surplus and reduced dollar-related gold trading flows, a deputy governor of its central bank said on Wednesday. ... "That makes the baht not a safe haven as it was before," he said.Dec 4, 2019

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JomtienRay said:

There is much talk about tourist numbers being decimated..

I live in Jomtien and there are MANY more tourists here than at the same time last year.

All the beach vendors are busy, restaurants and bars are busy, many people at the morning markets, and walking in the streets.

Finding a parking spot is impossible.. Almost impossible to find a spare table at the night market.. !! 

Maybe they have all come here?? 

Many like myself booked holiday before the virus hit. Wait a month or two until those bookings are gone.

21 hours ago, seajae said:

when you have govt ministers abusing westerners and refusing to apologize to them, calling for them to be removed from the country and asking the thai people to help him it doesnt help especially when the pm lacks the balls to make him retract his statement  and apologize, they hate farangs then they reap what they sow

that alleged health minister, alleged doctor's comments went against the covid-19 WHO mask recommendations. hard to believe he has a medical degree

A lot of countries., Including GB have put Thailand on a travel warning site. Many foreigners planning a holiday here will not come because they have seen that the Chinese are still welcome in Thailand !!! Last night on the BBC they interviewed a young Chinese girl (in Bangkok) on her way to Hobart. She said she couldn't fly from China. So she flew to Thailand !!! And then on to Hobart. Now, with this you can see that any infected person from any area of China gets into Thailand easily. Not very reassuring is it for Hobart or elsewhere with bans.

• Like 2

I have the Coronavirus  now ,, its <deleted>ty ,  cough , fever, breath, and loads of plegm ,severe head ache,  local hospital has confirmed it Sirikit Sattahip ,, im at home isolated ,only live 10 mins from the hospital , and im not on any recorded list ,, they have other cases too according to the staff ,,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, madmitch said:

You are right but the various online agents have requested that hotels be flexible with their cancellation policies for anyone cancelling as a result of coronavirus. The agents lose out as well as they take commission on cancellation fees.

As far as travel insurabce goes, I said in another threda, it depends upon the wording. My gut feel is that most policies won't pay (some actually have exclusions for epidemics and pandemics) but some might.

Why should an insurer pay out because someone changed their mind?

If they had corona virus and were actually sick is a different matter.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chinas-hubei-province-sees-surge-in-coronavirus-deaths-on-switch-to-new-methodology/

China’s Hubei province sees surge in coronavirus deaths on switch to new methodology

BEIJING/SHANGHAI (Reuters) – The death toll in China’s Hubei province from a coronavirus outbreak leapt by a record 242 on Thursday to 1,310, with a sharp rise in confirmed cases after the adoption of new methodology for diagnosis, health officials said.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, madmen said:

Nothing to do with the military as it's not just Thailand effected 

For your consideration, everything you see, hear, in anyway experience,         ( here in the land of smiles) is directly connected to the current marshal regime. Please try to remember who’s in charge, and how it got there. It would appear the Fox is watching the henhouse.

Clearly the Emperor has no clothes.

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

He may well have reason to feel the way he does. Thai politicians are making life awkward for many falangs in Thailand. It may not be the Thai people in general who are responsible but it's they who will get the blame.

Someone who has been forced out of a country through the actions of those that run a country are unlikely to feel much affection for its citizens in general.

From a different aspect I knew an old fellow who bought himself and his 'wife' a house in Jomtien. Within a week her Thai husband had turned up and he was kicked out with his belongings in a couple of black plastic bags.

OK he was stupid to get involved but try telling him it's shameful to hate Thai people. He's only one of thousands who've been led up the garden path by some Thai floozy they've met in a bar in Phuket or Pattaya. Some of these fellows don't have a clue about what can happen after having led a lonely life in Falangland.

And some of these fellows should have stayed home with Mum

SEA  is no place for the innocent and foolish.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Amber53 said:

A lot of countries., Including GB have put Thailand on a travel warning site. Many foreigners planning a holiday here will not come because they have seen that the Chinese are still welcome in Thailand !!! Last night on the BBC they interviewed a young Chinese girl (in Bangkok) on her way to Hobart. She said she couldn't fly from China. So she flew to Thailand !!! And then on to Hobart. Now, with this you can see that any infected person from any area of China gets into Thailand easily. Not very reassuring is it for Hobart or elsewhere with bans.

What's the name of the international airport in Hobart that had flights from Thailand? The lass may be very disappointed on arrival.

Well if I were staying in my home country and had planned to go on a holiday to Thailand, I would probably have cancelled my trip as well. It's not just the fear of getting infected, there are a few other aspects that matter:

Can you enjoy yourself and have a carefree holiday in the current situation? Probably not.

Does your travel insurance cover you in case you get infected? Many if not most of them seem to exclude outbreaks such as this one.

Would you get adequate medical care? What if hospitals get overwhelmed? How and when would you be able to get home, considering that there might be travel restrictions and quarantine requirements?

All things considered, best to stay put for peace of mind!

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Well if I were staying in my home country and had planned to go on a holiday to Thailand, I would probably have cancelled my trip as well. It's not just the fear of getting infected, there are a few other aspects that matter:

Can you enjoy yourself and have a carefree holiday in the current situation? Probably not.

Does your travel insurance cover you in case you get infected? Many if not most of them seem to exclude outbreaks such as this one.

Would you get adequate medical care? What if hospitals get overwhelmed? How and when would you be able to get home, considering that there might be travel restrictions and quarantine requirements?

All things considered, best to stay put for peace of mind!

Or ignore the media and have a very enjoyable holiday.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Thai tourism has hardly reinvented itself so many times before. It's not been a major tourist destination long enough to have done so.

When tourists from country stop visiting or slow they simply reinvent themselves in another market. That happened with Americans, Brits, Russians, Arabs and now potentially China.

1 hour ago, Brickbat said:

The current account surplus is slipping fast.

Thailand's baht currency is likely to weaken on more foreign selling, a lower current account surplus and reduced dollar-related gold trading flows, a deputy governor of its central bank said on Wednesday. ... "That makes the baht not a safe haven as it was before," he said.Dec 4, 2019

Who said, Mickey Mouse, where's the link you're quoting from?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, saengd said:

It's a very bad day for people who post misleading charts when they don't also tell everyone that China and The WHO have overnight changed the way flue cases are counted! Scaremonger.

It's not a flu, it's a coronavirus. And the new criteria very likely matches the reality better, because China had hit the limits of it's capability to do the diagnoses days before.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, madmen said:

Nothing to do with the military as it's not just Thailand effected 

it has to do with the military government. It's members are talking bad about farang, spread racist statements, mishandled every single situation being incredible incompetent in doing government business, communicating, assessing and solving problems. If you follow you see a long string of wrongdoings and I don't know even one case they have handled well. There are ministers who simply want to be celebrated in the focus of media but do not deliver anything positive. And its not just the PM. 

A competent government would have been prepared for what comes. They would have acted a month earlier. Would have sealed off the country instead selling it out. Would have informed the public with honest numbers instead of lies that even increase fear (who believes ever changing and contradicting positive numbers of Prayut or his useless ministers??)

The problem is not only Corona  It started way before with systematically alienating foreigners. Corona is just the catalyst, it speeds up the fall in which the country is since a few years..

Do you remember why Prayut is PM?

First was the military coup. Then Prayut, after long delays, finally hold elections and won them...with ballot boxes of all Isaan being "lost" (falling out of the truck...) but then were hours later "found again"...or shoukd I say, not found but replaced. Isaan hates Prayut and still all Isaan vote for him? He is to scared to even visit Isaan and if he has to, he goes with a private army of guards...

Edited by P100
  • Like 2

Just now, P100 said:

it has to do with the military government. It's members are talking bad about farang, spread racist statements, mishandled every single situation being incredible incompetent in doing government business, communicating, assessing and solving problems. If you follow you see a long string of wrongdoings and I don't know even one case they have handled well. There are ministers who simply want to be celebrated in the focus of media but do not deliver anything positive. And its not just the PM. 

A competent government would have been prepared for what comes. They would have acted a month earlier. Would have sealed off the country instead selling it out. Would have informed the public with honest numbers instead of lies that even increase fear (who believes ever changing and contradicting positive numbers of Prayut or his useless ministers??)

The problem is not only Corona  It started way before with systematically alienating foreigners. Corona is just the catalyst, it speeds up the fall in which the country is since a few years..

Do you remember why Prayut is PM?

First was the military coup. Then Prayut, after long delays, finally hold elections and win them...with ballot boxes of all Isaan being "lost" (falling out of the truck...) but then were hours later "found again"...or shoukd I say, not found but replaced. Isaan hates Prayut and still all Isaan vote for him? He is to scared to even visit Isaan and if he has to, he goes with a private army of guards...

Did you forget that you're living in what most people call a third world country, one that is actually an emerging and not fully developed economy! This is not the UK, Europe or the US.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, saengd said:

BTW that change in the numbers is a good thing, the number of deaths hasn't changed so that means the fatality rate is a lot lower than displayed before the change.

The fatality rate calculated from moving figures doesn't mean much until the epidemic is over. The ratio of dead/recovered is also a lagging indicator. We'll need to wait and see what the final tally will be.

Just now, DrTuner said:

The fatality rate calculated from moving figures doesn't mean much until the epidemic is over. The ratio of dead/recovered is also a lagging indicator. We'll need to wait and see what the final tally will be.

True. I don't know about others though but I enjoy watching that moving fatality rate decline day in day out, it gives me comfort that things are moving in the right direction.

• Like 2

Tourism will be down around Asia so far less Austrailians , EU , Brits, or Americans as they don't want to travel to an area decimated by disease. Number 1 no one wanting to go to China and then fearful of other areas where Chinese travel and have had outbreaks such as Thailand, Vietnam , ect.  Maybe Thailand should inform their Consulates/Embassies to give out as many Setv as asked for and IO's not turn away the few farang tourists who try to keep coming .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, saengd said:

True. I don't know about others though but I enjoy watching that moving fatality rate decline day in day out, it gives me comfort that things are moving in the right direction.

Well that's all good. I just look at them as numbers and try to match them to the other information in the internet, no real emotional attachment. What gets my goat is when I see deliberate tries to block or cover up information.

Such as the size of the diagnostics backlog in Thailand being taken out of MoPH's reports.

1 hour ago, liddelljohn said:

I have the Coronavirus  now ,, its <deleted>ty ,  cough , fever, breath, and loads of plegm ,severe head ache,  local hospital has confirmed it Sirikit Sattahip ,, im at home isolated ,only live 10 mins from the hospital , and im not on any recorded list ,, they have other cases too according to the staff ,,

If cowardly Prayut blocked China until a cure was found. You most likely would not be at risk.

Edited by tomauasia