Not just Chinese travellers staying away as virus shakes Thai tourism

webfact

23 hours ago, mrwinner said:

Well these xenophobic comments by the Thai Public Health Minister which have now been viewed by over 700,000 people certainly didn't help the cause as it shows what the Thai Government really think of us behind the scenes. Karma at it's best!

Mumbling whacko

"Not just Chinese travellers staying away as virus shakes Thai

tourism."

Is this not Karma biting back at the Thai government and their immigration for their very unfair ways of treating westerners, tourists, would be long term tourists, and retirees alike, causing a lot of them to leave Thailand, or not to even come at all, and go to other countries instead?

Now it may hit the big wigs income streams big time, and it serves them right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parsve said:

The average tourist sees no connection between the virus and Thailand, so the explanation must probably be sought elsewhere

Not so sure, many of my co-workers in USA thought I was in China ( Taiwan) years ago untill I explained to them that Thailand/Taiwan were not the same. Others figure the close proximity to China and the many Chinese who visit here they don't want to take the chance to visit any area in Asia

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, smedly said:

But according to all the data released by the Thai government there is no real virus problem in Thailand - only 34 cases and most of them are all recovered 

So what is wrong with these people - do they not believe what the Thai Government are saying ???????  :post-4641-1156694572:

What normal person would believe anything that comes out of any Thai government officials mouth?

Just now, Tony125 said:

Not so sure, many of my co-workers in USA thought I was in China ( Taiwan) years ago untill I explained to them that Thailand/Taiwan were not the same. Others figure the close proximity to China and the many Chinese who visit here they don't want to take the chance to visit any area in Asia

I block alll these countries period. All bad

18 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Well that's all good. I just look at them as numbers and try to match them to the other information in the internet, no real emotional attachment. What gets my goat is when I see deliberate tries to block or cover up information.

Such as the size of the diagnostics backlog in Thailand being taken out of MoPH's reports.

Lol there us no cure currently. Nothings moving in any right direction. Stories by Thais.

23 hours ago, monkfish said:

A lot of people on social media complaining about Hotels not refunding booking cancellations so i was wondering at what point legally they will have to start issuing refunds.

Believe it or not for the next month I have booked an trip to HK I booked and pay the tickets, also the hotels.

But I'm seriously doubting that I am still going.

In that case I have lost all my money, except the hotel in HK, this week I got the message the cc was not valid, but after 29 January last it was not possible to cancel the room, can you imagine??

1 hour ago, saengd said:

It's a very bad day for people who post misleading charts when they don't also tell everyone that China and The WHO have overnight changed the way flue cases are counted! Scaremonger.

It wasn't taken out of context and scaremongering. The graph was seen on the tracking site which did not say anything about change in the way cases were being counted.

Please provide link for that.

Here's the link where that chart was taken from: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2CY5jFGa_Xl3d0BKAARqrW0RPh0FygFNHilpPq6V8fNuVz9bzSTh5J5EU#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

All that was changed was daily new cases type of graph rather than total numbers chosen.

Had the Government taken early steps to shut the borders with China just maybe these terrible "farang"

may have still travelled here, As it is now with the Chinese still being welcomed even some of my 

customers have headed home from here early.

You cannot always have the chicken & the egg

• Like 2

A post containing a link to a conspiracy pseudoscience site has been removed.

Post containing unattributed information have been removed as well as the replies, please include a valid link to the source of information when posting.

Some troll posts and replies have been removed.

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

What a horrific comment and way of thinking.  Many many legit tourism related industries and people here.

Your "hope" will destroy many peoples and families lives.  And you get great delight from that?

Shameful..

I do agree with you about this destroying many peoples and families lives, but I would take great delight in seeing as much of the Thai big wigs income streams dropping as possible.

23 hours ago, lujanit said:

The ordinary Chinese in China are suffering too.  Many businesses have not opened yet as they fear contracting the virus.

On a minor note I have noticed the downturn here as I order things on Aliexpress and the majority have not been shipped.  One order goes back to Jan 16.

You really cannot blame these people as they are sh!t scared and the Chinese government is not telling the truth about the situation.  The true situation is far worse than reported.

I was watching a video a couple of days ago where the presenter is married to a chinese doctor (until very recently they lived in China).  He asked his wife why the death numbers were not much higher.  Her answer was if a person is admitted for another ailment and subsequently dies from the coronavirus it is not counted. A lot like here when a person involved in a vehicle accident and subsequently dies in hospital is not counted as a death from the accident.

And then there is the case of the chinese civilian reporter who was telling like it really is suddenly disappeared.

Mr Wiston has asked me to tell you to stay awesome and stop slandering both Thailand and China. Mr Wiston is from South Africa and he used to be quite different from his present persona! Aha!

47 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Tourism will be down around Asia so far less Austrailians , EU , Brits, or Americans as they don't want to travel to an area decimated by disease. Number 1 no one wanting to go to China and then fearful of other areas where Chinese travel and have had outbreaks such as Thailand, Vietnam , ect.  Maybe Thailand should inform their Consulates/Embassies to give out as many Setv as asked for and IO's not turn away the few farang tourists who try to keep coming .

Apart from China, which area has been decimated by disease? Certainly not Thailand.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ian carman said:

Also there are unclear guidelines from the uk government that you should self isolate for 2 weeks on your return to the uk .Not many employers will be happy if you take an extra 2 weeks holiday 

Really? So employers will be happy to see their entire workforce in quarantine and their business in lockdown if one employee came into work and was subsequently confirmed as positive to coronavirus?

27 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Believe it or not for the next month I have booked an trip to HK I booked and pay the tickets, also the hotels.

But I'm seriously doubting that I am still going.

In that case I have lost all my money, except the hotel in HK, this week I got the message the cc was not valid, but after 29 January last it was not possible to cancel the room, can you imagine??

You want your money back because you changed your mind?

Imagine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bugsy777 said:

My wife and I just cancelled a trip to Bali and my brother and his wife have cancelled a trip to Thailand planned for September.

My wife and I will hire a campervan and tour the northern coastal region of Western Australia. Coral Bay is beautiful. It's not cheap, but neither is Thailand anymore.

I've got about 35 to 40 Thailand trips in my passports but I am seriously thinking this might be it. I guess we're not the only ones thinking like this but in reality, Thailand has brought this on itself with a bad attitude to Westerners.

yes we all dream and remember the Thailand of 25 >. 30 years ago, gone now

Edited by alzack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bugsy777 said:

My wife and I just cancelled a trip to Bali and my brother and his wife have cancelled a trip to Thailand planned for September.

My wife and I will hire a campervan and tour the northern coastal region of Western Australia. Coral Bay is beautiful. It's not cheap, but neither is Thailand anymore.

I've got about 35 to 40 Thailand trips in my passports but I am seriously thinking this might be it. I guess we're not the only ones thinking like this but in reality, Thailand has brought this on itself with a bad attitude to Westerners.

Why did you cancel the trip to Bali?

I agree Bali is nothing like it used to be in the 1970's.

23 hours ago, mrwinner said:

Well I hope so. The baht is ridiculously overpriced. We need to see this country suffer an economic collapse so that it can rebuild itself into a better one at a slower pace. I really do feel for the local business owners but the way the country has operated in the last 20 years it is just not sustainable.  

I agree with you. 

However to rebuild Thailand is not possible with an Army govt. 

Free election, freedom of Speech, and a lot more what is not allowed to say... ????

• Like 2

On the 31st of January (14 days ago) I saw the numbers worldwide infected with the Coronavirus were 9,776 people, today 13 February (2 weeks later) it's showing 60,332 people infected with the virus.

Is it any wonder why people are staying away, maybe Thailand will want to save face and make an announcement that they have stopped the Chinese from entering Thailand before it's all too late for whatever remaining tousrists are left that might be considering travelling to the land of whatever goes, as long as you have money.

I also read this morning that China had it under control, hmmm, well according to my calculations since 31 January, this Coronavirus has multiplied by 6, not 3 or 4 as they said it had the potential too.

The above said, any travel on planes, crowded places is out of the question for this family, albeit a hotel somewhere a little out of the main towns for a holiday would be considered, but definitely not in a touristy area, unless its a repeat of 2009-2014 when the coup's were happening and I had Patong Beach to myself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1