Not just Chinese travellers staying away as virus shakes Thai tourism

webfact

7 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Do you like to go, instead of me, with all the current reporting is it not recommendable for older people to go now.

But, maybe you have more than one life.

I had no intention to go to HK. it I wouldn't expect to get a refund because I simply changed my mind.

I will be flying both internally in Thailand and internationally next week. I don't subscribe to the panic and nonsense some posters seem to thrive on.

Of course I have only one life and intended to continue living it to the fullest.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Thanks 2

Not just Chinese travellers staying away as virus shakes Thai tourism

Quit understandable with cover ups in China and now after WHO and leading health experts priorities and accelerate their effort to stop the outbreak and many more fatalities previously not recorded as sick from Corona the last days I dont want to think about what we will se if every stone is turned here.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Elzear said:

This Covid-19 (as is now officially labelled that virus) has so many other side effects, uglier, such as a resurgence of racism towards anyone with slanted eyes and a yellowish skin (ie irrespective of their origins - France is an example) and vive e versa. It shows how little humanity has evolved in the matter of tolerance towards others because of their difference. And when a Government Minister emphasises this difference publicly, making it an example for the masses to follow, it shows its ignorance and basic stupidity. In a democratic government this minister would be out straight away ! 

So what happens in China is not the fault of the people but of corrupt administrations and regime. Knowing the Chinese culinary tastes, health -human and veterinary- controls should have been adapted to such. Do not blame the people but condemn the governments involved. 

You do not quite understand. Chinese culture and superstition is the problem. This would require education from primary school level to excise the attitudes and beliefs about eating wild food. The government spends a lot less on everything including education the farther one gets from the coast of the China Sea. Hubei is a midrange province in this regard. The Cultural Revolution did nothing to change cultural attitudes. It was a smokescreen for concentrating power by a paranoid dictator. Anything recent sound familiar?

Controls are pretty hopeless. The Chinese people have spent thousands of years learning how to evade controls.

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

It wasn't taken out of context and scaremongering. The graph was seen on the tracking site which did not say anything about change in the way cases were being counted.

Please provide link for that.

Here's the link where that chart was taken from: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2CY5jFGa_Xl3d0BKAARqrW0RPh0FygFNHilpPq6V8fNuVz9bzSTh5J5EU#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

All that was changed was daily new cases type of graph rather than total numbers chosen.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/02/13/new-coronavirus-covid-19-counting-method-leads-to-jump-in-cases-deaths/#39c9b45e16af

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand has predicted a revenue loss of 95 billion baht ($3.05 billion) from fewer Chinese tourists from January to April"

Think I'll get that framed as a first for TAT! Unbelievable statistic - revenue "LOSS"!!!!! And "FEWER" tourists! 

• Haha 1

just heard on the BBC that there is  a "huge increase" in virus cases reported by China.

also:

"U.S. Northern Command is executing plans to prepare for a potential pandemic of the novel coronavirus, now called COVID19, according to Navy and Marine Corps service-wide messages issued this week."

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/02/13/us-military-prepping-for-coronavirus-pandemic/#.XkUajjSbLto.twitter

Edited by NCC1701A

On 2/12/2020 at 3:58 PM, masterpasser said:

The only continent that avoided the 1918 flu pandemic was Australia.They enforced strict quarantine laws on all shipping entering Australia. This decision saved thousands of Australian lives.

Odd way of putting it. That was only because the Spanish Flu didn't arrive until 1919, according to this source https://sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/news/2019/01/21/centenary-of--spanish-flu--pandemic-in-australia.html. Otherwise, a third of the country infected and 15,000 dead in a year, says the above. I do understand, however, that the American governor of American Samoa did keep the flu off that island with a strict quarantine. https://tedium.co/2017/10/16/american-samoa-spanish-flu/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amber53 said:

A lot of countries., Including GB have put Thailand on a travel warning site. Many foreigners planning a holiday here will not come because they have seen that the Chinese are still welcome in Thailand !!! Last night on the BBC they interviewed a young Chinese girl (in Bangkok) on her way to Hobart. She said she couldn't fly from China. So she flew to Thailand !!! And then on to Hobart. Now, with this you can see that any infected person from any area of China gets into Thailand easily. Not very reassuring is it for Hobart or elsewhere with bans.

Yes, Thailand has become a staging area outside of the PRC for Chinese intending to go elsewhere following the 14 day clearance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomauasia said:

If cowardly Prayut blocked China until a cure was found. You most likely would not be at risk.

Im due to go to Uk next month and Brighton and Worthing where my family lives is now rife with Corona Virus ,, its going global

will i be fit to travel ?????

Well forget the Chinese market at least for six months as the factories are still at least a week to 'what ever' off from starting  meaningful manufacturing targets.This means no body from the ground up is making any money right now..and this after spending the most money during Lunar New Year on presents and holidays!As for other tourists Aussies are booking 'safe destinations'which give value for money..Fiji bookings for Easter are already 80% up on last years bookings..Asia is a 'no go'and Thailand certainly not a preferred destination as in previous years.Europeans will I'm sure have an opinion on what they will be doing this next few months but cruising doesn't exactly look that inviting either based on recent examples!