Not just Chinese travellers staying away as virus shakes Thai tourism

webfact

13 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Human logic.

Come to Pattaya on holiday and rent a motorbike.  60 traffic fatalities a day, 80% of those motorcycles, plus another couple hundred hospitalized from vehicular accidents per day. 

Cancel a trip to Thailand because CoVid 19 has infected 34 people out of 39 million and no fatalities  

Lol. Damn right.

• Haha 2

Coronavirus travel slowdown spreads from China across Asia

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-travel-slowdown-spreads-china-092228516.html

The coronavirus outbreak is causing travel demand across the whole Asia Pacific region to slump, data showed on Thursday, as the impact of the flu-like illness on future bookings spreads beyond China.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Just a matter of days now before Thailand's open doors policy will bear fruit and they end up in the quarantine lists.

I completely agree. South Korea has issued a travel advisory and I am sure the list will begin to grow exponentially within the next 2 weeks. Watches > Warnings > Ban.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Boo hoo for Thailand. 

It's a GLOBAL audience this virus. 

If China catches a cold the whole world sneezes...

Shark Fin restaurant in Melbourne has just closed. 

100 year tradition.

Patrons are down 80%..

Its going take a lot of shaking off sadly...

That's good news surely?

• Like 2

Amazingly Indonesia has steadfastly reported that it has had no cases of the Coronavirus hence so far?If so what is their secret to this remarkable clean health record?Just another pointer I've seen this morning on a travel segment discussion..if any government issues a travel warning not to go to a particular country/region on their web sites you are then NOT covered by your travel health insurance..you are on your own!

A post containing unattributed charts has been removed as screenshots of a site are not a valid link, please include a link to the source of information when posting. 

A post containing racist comments toward Asians has been removed. 

Some posts using trolling memes have been removed. 

On 2/12/2020 at 2:30 PM, ExpatLife said:

It's crazy how he has been given the green light by the government in China to film and produce videos for so many years, all the while bashing then country and culture daily. He does say positive things here and there, but it really is quite an odd setup he's got going 

You know that he lives in the US now for about the last year .with his Chinese wife and baby.?

18 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Why did you cancel the trip to Bali?

I agree Bali is nothing like it used to be in the 1970's.

We would have been going in June and we figured that corona virus would be there by then. Also, the Indonesian Government is is not averse to hiding the truth when it comes to possibly reducing their tourism income.

In 2016, 1.25 million Australians visited Bali. That's thousands per day returning. So maybe I'm wasting my time avoiding infection. Might just be best to get it and either cark it or recover. lol.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 2:00 PM, bkk6060 said:

I bet Zero.

There is no official international traveling warning regarding Thailand.

No refunds.

I live in Thailand.  I've booked a hotel stay in Phuket.  I learn today that 'More than 4,000 passengers and crew members from two cruise liners were allowed to alight in Phuket on Thursday.'  Is this grounds for cancelling my trip?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I live in Thailand.  I've booked a hotel stay in Phuket.  I learn today that 'More than 4,000 passengers and crew members from two cruise liners were allowed to alight in Phuket on Thursday.'  Is this grounds for cancelling my trip?

It is not grounds for cancelling nonrefundable reservations.

im in Sattahip and i now have  COVID 19 virus confirmed  there are other people here with the virus ,, at least 6   but no mention on Thai government  info so i would say they are under reporting , or in denial????

Im in Home isolation  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 3:06 PM, bartender100 said:

You just don't get it, forget the media look what's really happening with this virus, open your eyes

As a nurse for decades I certainly "get it". What I know is that once an infectious disease with no symptoms for up to 10 days has been allowed to escape worldwide, only a good immune system is going to stop us dying if we get it. 

In the military we had a saying "<deleted> happens and then we die". Still true today.

BTW, anyone thinking a paper mask and hand sanitiser is going to stop them getting it should look at what the health workers wear- that's what you'd need to be safe. I have no intention of doing anything differently, as it won't save me anyway.

On 2/12/2020 at 1:45 PM, mrwinner said:

Well I hope so. The baht is ridiculously overpriced. We need to see this country suffer an economic collapse so that it can rebuild itself into a better one at a slower pace. I really do feel for the local business owners but the way the country has operated in the last 20 years it is just not sustainable.  

The Baht is not over valued, Its foreign currencies that has lost its value.Thailand is not going to lower the value of the Baht to counteract bad economic policies of these country. I suggest you complain to the government of your country.

Just Look how much money the UK, EU put into the Banking, Building Society's to prevent them from going bankrupt. Thailand leant from the 1989 Asian economic collapse of which T/Land was the instigator which ment them going to the IMF, that has all been repaid.