Not just Chinese travellers staying away as virus shakes Thai tourism

webfact

On 2/13/2020 at 3:04 PM, Miami007 said:

That 12% of the economy supports a lot of real human beings.

I was in a resort on Phi Phi when a farang woman guest fell over on the rough floor. The staff LAUGHED at her, and none went to help her.

The beach was fithy, and the staff spent most of the time sleeping- never went out and cleaned it.

They deserve whatever bad karma they get, IMO.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

im in Sattahip and i now have  COVID 19 virus confirmed  there are other people here with the virus ,, at least 6   but no mention on Thai government  info so i would say they are under reporting , or in denial????

Im in Home isolation  

Your diagnosis was confirmed by whom, if you don't mind sharing that information?  And by what method was it confirmed?

24 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

im in Sattahip and i now have  COVID 19 virus confirmed  there are other people here with the virus ,, at least 6   but no mention on Thai government  info so i would say they are under reporting , or in denial????

Im in Home isolation  

So how did you and others become infected ??

29 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

Im in Home isolation  

How did you contract it? Recently been in China ? Have been around a lot of Chinese for business or in restaurants , resorts frequented by Chinese?

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's airborne. People will probably never know who gave it to them.

Paper masks are probably useless to stop getting it.

For your information:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/can-the-coronavirus-be-spread-through-the-air

Q: CAN THE VIRUS BE TRANSMITTED THROUGH THE AIR AND WILL I CATCH IT FROM BREATHING IT IN EVEN IF THE DROPLETS HAVE EVAPORATED?

A: There is currently no strong evidence to support the claim that the virus can be transmitted through the air.

It is believed to be spread mainly through droplets, such as from the mucus or saliva of an infected person who sneezes or coughs.

Infectious diseases expert Leong Hoe Nam said the virus is likely to die when the droplets dry up.

Experts say if the virus could really survive even after the droplets carrying it have dried up, it would have spread through the air as dust particles and potentially infected 10 times more people, which is not the case.

Last week, a Shanghai official, Mr Zeng Qun, said the virus could spread through aerosol transmission, or the mixing of the virus with airborne liquid droplets.

*** Therefore the masks can prevent those who have it from spreading it thru coughs/sneezing and somewhat protect others from being sprayed in face when the infected sneeze. Have seen nurses wearing masks and face shields-----face shields protect your eyes from getting sprayed ( droplets) by patients sneezing but would not protect from airborn virus. Washing hands or using alcohol to wipe them and surfaces sparyed on will also lessen the chance of infection. ***
Edited by Tony125

The virus  is even affecting Chinese business overseas and how people treat them.

Asian business leaders, city councilors to host Boston dim sum brunch to address coronavirus fears, xenophobia

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/asian-business-leaders-city-councilors-to-host-boston-dim-sum-brunch-to-address-coronavirus-fears-xenophobia/ar-BBZYKfs

Also on the Today programme was Prof Neil Ferguson, an infectious disease expert from Imperial College London, who said he thought new cases of the virus could still arise and the world was in the “early phases of a global pandemic”.

He estimated roughly 60 per cent of the UK population could be affected, which if the mortality rate was 1 per cent, could result in hundreds of thousands of deaths.

When asked how many people in the UK could die, Prof Whitty refused to answer, saying it was difficult to put a true figure on the death rate in China, which could be less than the 1 per cent reported.

He said there was uncertainty about the figures coming out of China, not because the Chinese are deliberately trying to mislead anyone, but because the "reality is taking a long time to catch up with the facts".

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

He said there was uncertainty about the figures coming out of China, not because the Chinese are deliberately trying to mislead anyone, but because the "reality is taking a long time to catch up with the facts".

Because of course China has a clear record and tradition of openness and transparency with its health and economic statistics. They would never lie.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

For your information:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/can-the-coronavirus-be-spread-through-the-air

Q: CAN THE VIRUS BE TRANSMITTED THROUGH THE AIR AND WILL I CATCH IT FROM BREATHING IT IN EVEN IF THE DROPLETS HAVE EVAPORATED?

A: There is currently no strong evidence to support the claim that the virus can be transmitted through the air.

It is believed to be spread mainly through droplets, such as from the mucus or saliva of an infected person who sneezes or coughs.

Infectious diseases expert Leong Hoe Nam said the virus is likely to die when the droplets dry up.

Experts say if the virus could really survive even after the droplets carrying it have dried up, it would have spread through the air as dust particles and potentially infected 10 times more people, which is not the case.

Last week, a Shanghai official, Mr Zeng Qun, said the virus could spread through aerosol transmission, or the mixing of the virus with airborne liquid droplets.

*** Therefore the masks can prevent those who have it from spreading it thru coughs/sneezing and somewhat protect others from being sprayed in face when the infected sneeze. Have seen nurses wearing masks and face shields-----face shields protect your eyes from getting sprayed ( droplets) by patients sneezing but would not protect from airborn virus. Washing hands or using alcohol to wipe them and surfaces sparyed on will also lessen the chance of infection. ***

I have read the virus will survive on many surfaces for days or weeks so how does it just dry up and go away?  Also if its in the air whether droplet or not and the wind is carrying it I would think it is airborne for a period would you not?

2 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Im in Home isolation  

John, you have COVID 19 yourself?

What was the process and diagnosis and treatment plan?

...and you know 6 others have it for sure?

I'm really interested in the underreporting and your journey.

...and I hope you recover quickly...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Also on the Today programme was Prof Neil Ferguson, an infectious disease expert from Imperial College London, who said he thought new cases of the virus could still arise and the world was in the “early phases of a global pandemic”.

He estimated roughly 60 per cent of the UK population could be affected, which if the mortality rate was 1 per cent, could result in hundreds of thousands of deaths.

When asked how many people in the UK could die, Prof Whitty refused to answer, saying it was difficult to put a true figure on the death rate in China, which could be less than the 1 per cent reported.

If 60 percent of the population is effected, there would not be sufficient supply of supplemental oxygen which would likely lead to a higher mortality rate of something (that and you will have a wider spectrum - including elderly and those at risk) a bit higher 3%ish or so.

6 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I have read the virus will survive on many surfaces for days or weeks so how does it just dry up and go away?  Also if its in the air whether droplet or not and the wind is carrying it I would think it is airborne for a period would you not?

They don't know how long ... if it is like the flu most surfaces a day but could be longer...  if exposed to sunlight it would die quicker due to UV light. 

In China they are taking extraordinary measures to control it.

- whole cities quarantined

- people are not allowed out into public areas (with the exception of one person that can go out every day or so to resupply)

- the person allowed out for resupply must wear a mask and must not associate in public with anyone to limit contact

- quarantine zones policed by drones

- regular spraying of disinfectant in open public areas to kill virus left on surfaces.

Not sure the public in the west would be as compliant.

• Thanks 1

Hmm, see some hoping here and elsewhere Thailand gets bad karma and suffers economic pain. Whilst there is indeed national as well as personal karma, it takes its own course from that nation's acts and not from ill wishers. As such wishing such ill fortune on others just adds to your personal negative karma. Believe or don't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rancid said:

Hmm, see some hoping here and elsewhere Thailand gets bad karma and suffers economic pain. Whilst there is indeed national as well as personal karma, it takes its own course from that nation's acts and not from ill wishers. As such wishing such ill fortune on others just adds to your personal negative karma. Believe or don't.

You know comments like wishing others bad would also probably qualify under that to have bad karma visited upon you.

On 2/12/2020 at 1:27 PM, mrwinner said:

Well these xenophobic comments by the Thai Public Health Minister which have now been viewed by over 700,000 people certainly didn't help the cause as it shows what the Thai Government really think of us behind the scenes. Karma at it's best!

.....That's because they have been reading Thai Visa!...????

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You can avoid disease in a similar way.

Or have someone take action for you. According to the Bangkok Post, Vietnam has now quarantined an area as well. First outside of China to do so.

18 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Flights are still coming to Thailand every day ! So the odds that some of  the passengers will have the virus are ?.... I'll tell you 100%.. this is it going to get bigger 

https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/situation-no40-120263.pdf

Page 5 statistics look sketchy...."PUI"..."Under Treatment"....vs "Confirmed"

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Because of course China has a clear record and tradition of openness and transparency with its health and economic statistics. They would never lie.

1 hour ago, DLock said:

John, you have COVID 19 yourself?

What was the process and diagnosis and treatment plan?

...and you know 6 others have it for sure?

I'm really interested in the underreporting and your journey.

...and I hope you recover quickly...

Under-reporting and cover ups are nothing new anywhere in the world.

Google  Slapton Sands GI deaths 1944.

Only made public 50 years later.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Under-reporting and cover ups are nothing new anywhere in the world.

Google  Slapton Sands GI deaths 1944.

Only made public 50 years later.

Not really interested, thanks.

But I am interested if someone has the virus and what the journey and treatment has been...

5 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Im in Home isolation  

Sorry, I don't believe you, I don't think anyone in Thailand is self isolating at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Sorry, I don't believe you, I don't think anyone in Thailand is self isolating at home.

Yeah, unless the Poster comes back and comments, I tend to think he is making it up....for his own reasons. Bizarre if he is.

Technically, he isn't out and about today...

32 minutes ago, DLock said:

Yeah, unless the Poster comes back and comments, I tend to think he is making it up....for his own reasons. Bizarre if he is.

Technically, he isn't out and about today...

If he is making it up he is opening himself up to legal action here.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:26 PM, smedly said:

But according to all the data released by the Thai government there is no real virus problem in Thailand - only 34 cases and most of them are all recovered 

So what is wrong with these people - do they not believe what the Thai Government are saying ???????  :post-4641-1156694572:

I think just as a precautionary measure most are staying home, everyone is copping it, especially if you rely on the Chinese factor.