A different side of Thailand

Nakmuay887

35 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

It's Cambodian in origin, not Thai

I'd disagree with that. It's much more closely related to Myanmar. I've trained in, coached in, and fought in all 3 countries. Most people who've grown up around the sport suggest it comes from Burma. 

Although in my opinion Cambodia is catching up quickly, they have a better grasp on the elbow work but are still somewhat behind in kicking aspect. 

Edited by Nakmuay887

57 minutes ago, stouricks said:

You call that row MUSIC.

I was led to believe that the 'musicians' follow the fight, not vise-versa.

No. The music starts slow and picks up as the rounds go on. 

You don't even notice it after a while. I only notice it during the 5th round when I fight and it's useful to know how much time is on the clock when you are in the heat of it. 

To the untrained eye the Ram Muay and Wai Kru are the most boring aspect of Thai boxing. To the untrained ear its definitely the music, but I don't blame people for hating the music. It's hard to get used to 

• Like 1

I like it. John Wayne Parr always put on a good show. Some western fighters just walked out and did nothing. Followed jwp's career for years.

Nathan Corbett did nothing but gee he could fight. King of elbows.

That 2001 to 2015 era was amazing for fighters.

9 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I think doctors should be calling for crackdowns on people driving motorcycles like idiots, the rampant drug abuse, drunk driving, Thai women selling their bodies to foreigners for sex and many other issues that cause far more harm in this country on a daily basis. 

You choose to ignore the positive aspects of my post which is pure ignorance. Do I wish that they had different avenues in which they can have a shred of hope at a normal life? Of course. I live here, coach and fight by choice, it's my passion. They didn't choose to get born into poverty stricken circumstances or worse. The reality of their situation isn't pretty. But it's real. And the fact that you have to cherry pick articles off the internet proves that. 

The two of you failed to address my comments earlier about something more positive that will provide them a financial gain. You chose to ignore those paragraphs in my post because you don't have a rebuttal. You haven't been up here and see what goes on, the circumstances that they come from and the situations that they live in. 

So if I follow your lead and ideologys, you'd rather I turn a blind eye and do nothing for them like 99% of the population? Pretend they don't exist? That's what both the governments in Thailand and Myanmar do. 

If you could come up with a single idea of substance that would allow me to help these young men in a better way than I currently do I'd be all ears to hear it. But the reality is, there isn't one. That's why they are in these situations in the first place. If you care so much and want to white knight about what's right and wrong why don't you get up off your butt and come help me? Until that day happens your opinion is moot. If you would like to help me take care of 28 kids I'll happily bus them down your way and you can support them and educate them. The you can make sure their extracurricular activities are safe enough in your eyes. 

Nice 1 Bruh, don't mind the H8TR's - they'd die off right quick just trying to hit the bag for 3x3 min rounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nakmuay887 said:

If you would like to help me take care of 28 kids I'll happily bus them down your way and you can support them and educate them. The you can make sure their extracurricular activities are safe enough in your eyes. 

You chose to  post  this  on a public forum, I am free  to respond, if  you want to take on this job that's up to you, Ive done my bit  in life by being responsible and not  having kids that I couldn't take  care  of. 

What any of that has to do with "children"  fighting Iv'e no  idea.

Any decent country would have adequate measures to take  care of these  kids which wouldn't involve them hitting each  other.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

You chose to  post  this  on a public forum, I am free  to respond, if  you want to take on this job that's up to you, Ive done my bit  in life by being responsible and not  having kids that I couldn't take  care  of. 

What any of that has to do with "children"  fighting Iv'e no  idea.

Any decent country would have adequate measures to take  care of these  kids which wouldn't involve them hitting each  other.

You've done your part? Sure sounds like it. I'm used to dumbing conversations down for folks since I've moved out to the boonies but this is below even me and my meager education. Good God man. 

Thank you for reinforcing my previous points by once again ignoring them because you have no rebuttal or any comments of merit.

Also this isn't a "job" as you called it. I don't earn money doing this. I do this because I am incredibly good at it and because I'm the only person who gives a damn enough to say that these kids deserve more than being confined to an early death or drug dealing to put food on the table once they become adults. 

Closing your eyes to the "real" Thailand doesn't make it go away, nor does it make it correct. It makes you naive. 

Good evening. 

Edited by Nakmuay887

7 hours ago, UbonThani said:

They are protected. That's what gloves are for.

The most serious injuries are those caused by the rotational acceleration of the brain within the cranial cavity.

Gloves do nothing to stop that movement and the damage it does.

In fact they increase its likelihood by diminishing the amount of external surface damage, which might otherwise provoke a end to the fighting.

Their main function is to stop injuries to the fists.......which would progressively weaken the punching ability and ultimately terminate it.

Their function is to make the "fun" last longer.

https://www.worldsafety2018.org/why-do-boxers-wear-gloves/

"However, brain injury is caused by the quick acceleration of the brain, not the impact of the punch"

"The primary reason gloves are used in boxing is to protect the fighters from hand injuries."

"The main reason glove use is unsafe is because of the increased risk of brain damage."

Let's Talk Physics, Gloves, Combat Sports and Brain Trauma ...

“Boxing gloves and MMA gloves are effective at absorbing and dispersing the energy of impact, which causes local tissue damage, but we have no reason to believe any gloves reduce momentum transfer.  In fact, thanks to the excellent hand protection gloves provide, fighters are able to punch with greater momentum than they would with bare knuckles, and they are able to attack hard targets like the head more often.  This means gloves do a great job of reducing the types of injuries associated with structural tissue damage (cuts, bruises, swelling, black eyes, and broken bones), but they also lead to an increase in the frequency and intensity of momentum transfer to the brain, which is directly related to diffuse axonal injury and CTE."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you look at world champs they usually start prior to 14yo. Only rarely do people start at age 18 and become a world champ. Mundine started late but boxed since a kid in training and his father was a boxer.

Tyson would never have been a champ if he started at age 21. He would have been dead or in Jail for 30 years.

Nanny state people live in cafes and concrete buildings and they think living some lame boring life is living. That's more sad than anything.

Of course if we listened to these boring types these kids would be dead or on drugs.

In their narrow minds that's just better cause out if sight out of mind.

No you haven't been fooled, not at all. You just don't understand a thing about the real world.