A different side of Thailand

Nakmuay887

16 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I'm starting to see it more and more and I still get strung along in many regards but I'm aware of it and careful to not be blindsided the best I can. I'm certain that I mean more to the kids than the adults around me. I've been treated at times as the person who will pick up the slack for the other coach when he's nursing a hangover or fighting with his girlfriend. 

He wants to head back to China to teach boxing because it pays so much more. Part of me hope that happens too so I can be solely in charge of the program. 

It's been a fun ride so far, but always working on a backup plan nearby if it does head south. 

I believe i mentioned long time ago ( or thought it, anyway) :   You seem pretty level headed and

so you have escaped the Rumak cynicism   lol     BUT ,  as One More points out,  there are always things that come up that we do not anticipate.   ( like a GF already ? ).    Go slow and steady

young man,  and hopefully your bob and weave talents will see you through.   Its all part of the sport of life..... and as one can witness on Forums,  people turn out in many forms from the kicks to the head or below the belt .   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First of all, good on you for skipping the flashpacker lifestyle and doing volunteer work and living close to the land with no AC and hot water.

That's coming from someone who has lived in a tipi in the Rocky Mountains with no running water and no heat in the winter when it got down to -15F (-26C).

Yes, boxing even in America is known as the "poor man's sport" because no expensive gear is needed (unlike Alpine snow skiing, for example)...just your fists and a pair of gloves.

But I don't encourage anyone, especially young children to box, play rugby or American football, either.

One word: concussions.

Leading to irreversible brain damage and a whole catalog of emotional and physical problems later in life.

Does Boxing Cause Brain Damage?

Counterpoint:

Of course, it's not like the average Thai rice farmer needs that much brain power anyway.  Thailand isn't going to the moon, discovering new CRISPR DNA technologies that save lives or researching a cure for cancer that doesn't involve chicken bones, counting rice grains and a shot of Lao Khao for friendly ghosts to drink anytime soon. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

When are you funding it?

The broader and more relevant question is ...

'When is the Kingdom of Thailand going to fully fund the education of Karen settlements within Thailand?"

Human Security of Karen Refugees in Thailand

Journal of Population and Social Studies, Vol. 23 Number 2, July 2015; pgs 214-230

htpps://www.tci-thaijo.org

102401-Article Text-258876-1-10-2017-1.pdf

• Although the Thai government is not a signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention, it allowed the Karen to set up temporary settlements so long as international NGOs provided the assistance.
  • Even if a country becomes a signatory in the 1951 Refugee Convention, it does not cover, in terms of basic income, the preservation of ethnic identities, freedom from man-made disasters and political representation.

At the end of the day Karen people, no matter what degree of education they can obtain and amount of income or savings, they remain stateless within a nation known for its xenophobia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UbonThani said:

When are you funding it?

It is funded. It is no worse than some of the rural programs in Issan. However, in this case the funding comes from foreign donors. Accompanying that, are  basic health programs including vaccinations.

You are  promoting yourself as some great savior of these children.  You don't fool me. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UbonThani said:

France had 4 rugby deaths in one year.

You compare peaches with oranges 
Dead but for reasons that have nothing to do with it.
If they avoided veterinary products to have more muscles and incidentally less brains, they would not die of a pulmonary embolism or a lightning arrest of their heart.

To return to the subject; when I saw the photo of Nakmuay 887, I had already seen it on Thai TV; I rarely watch TV I usually have more exciting things to do.
this gentleman is not just anyone; he's a boxing pro.
Astonishing that nobody, already two pages, did not recognize him.
Obviously it will arrive on page 10 ..( sorry )

I admire what he undertook;
boxing is not my thing but what he does, I take my hat off to him.
I met Karen children in a refugee village, Mae Hong Son province; they are open, come to us, speak very good english, ask questions about the world, the countries where we come from ...
Nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Thai children of the same age who are closed in on themselves and shy, calling us "farang" from afar, but fleeing if we try to start a dialogue that will never happen.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, UbonThani said:

They are protected. That's what gloves are for.

“Gloves reduce the number of cuts caused, but British Medical Associationresearch has stated that gloves do not reduce brain injuries and may even increase them, because the main cause of injury is acceleration and deceleration of the head, and fighters wearing gloves are able to punch harder to the head. Gloves may reduce the amount of eye injuries, especially if they are thumbless, but retinal tears and detached retinas still occur to boxers wearing modern gloves.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_glove

7 minutes ago, androokery said:

“Gloves reduce the number of cuts caused, but 

There will always be people "against" and others "for"
Just browse the news on the daily paper;
anti court hunting or anti corrida ...

Thai boxing has been around for so long; who are you to request its removal?
Personally I don't really like boxing in general or combat sports;
I prefer mountain biking; it's my choice  ;
others prefer line fishing, it's their choice.
and other F1 or pony races ...

I haven't read all the lines; only the first 2 and the last 3 or 4.
I find that there is a lot of waste; and if we revisited ourselves on the heart of the subject which is neither Thai boxing nor anything else,
but what our friend does that I don't know and have never met.
How many members are there on this forum who use their knowledge and their time to ensure that orphans who will never have Thai nationality unless they get lost in a cave, can have a better life than their ancestors?
Please leave the schoolyard fights in the locker room to find out who has the biggest ..:jap:

• Thanks 1

In my early teens I was having trouble with bullies at school so I signed up for both tae-kwon-do (high flying kicks) and judo (the opposite of the former.) Note that the "mantra" of both these martial-arts was to defend oneself, not to hurt or attack others. Still there is no denial that these are violent sports (especially the former). The one person who voiced any concern was my mom, who unfortunately was separated from my dad and therefore was out of hearing shots. During the course of training for both I suffered these casualties: a broken fist and a torn shoulder joint, both left untreated as I was so used with knocks and bruises and dad didn't really care. But the biggest one was a time-bomb that exploded decades later: a herniated disk. It came from the right side, same side as the torn shoulder joint, the broken fist, same side where I tried to flip my opponent over and over during the course of Judo training as if he were a 50 kilo sack of rice.

The burst disk  happened in a period where I didn't not have any medical insurance so it took me a while (6 months of pushing shopping carts, driving using my left leg, etc. as means to move about) to get myself to Thailand where I could afford a diskectomy. The surgery was successful in relieving me of the pain but by then the right leg has become weaker and lamer - read half-dead; I could no longer run or ride a motosay and if I strained doing any excercise my back would be immobilized with pain for days. So my warning to all parents is not involve your children in any kind of violent sports in their tender age regardless of what the coach says or how much they kids say they want it. They can do whatever they want when they become adult and decide how they are going to use/abuse their bodies (sex, drugs and rock and roll plus myriad others.) Starting in childhood there will be price to pay later on; children don't know any better, give them a cigarette and they'll smoke it  so saying they're not forced into doing it is a bit irresponsible coming from an adult.

(On a similar vein - re abusing one's body for financial gain - child prostitution is a misnomer. Children can not consent therefore they can not prostitute themselves.)

• Thanks 1

worked wonders for Muhammad Ali, brain dead for much of his later life....not too many people would like to see their sons or daughters getting hit around the head on the off chance they can score a ‘ gig ‘ in Bangkok for a big payday.

educate them in other ways, they have the brains, or did, before they mashed them up under your ill thought out guidance.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, androokery said:

“Gloves reduce the number of cuts caused, but British Medical Associationresearch has stated that gloves do not reduce brain injuries and may even increase them, because the main cause of injury is acceleration and deceleration of the head, and fighters wearing gloves are able to punch harder to the head. Gloves may reduce the amount of eye injuries, especially if they are thumbless, but retinal tears and detached retinas still occur to boxers wearing modern gloves.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_glove

You are still not comparing identical sports. The article is about western boxing, a sport where all you do is punch. 

Thai boxing has few similarities and it's scored on a kick and knee based system more than a punching system. Most times punches are simply to setup the kicks or other tools. Also in boxing there's two targets, your head and your torso. In Thai boxing you have 8 targets. Hence why the majority of fights are them kicking one another in the leagues. 

Western boxing is leagues more dangerous than Thai boxing, most of the damage in Muay Thai is superficial. 

I bet there's a comparable amount of kids that box in Thailand vs say play American football and western boxing in the united states combined yet Thailand has a fraction of the deaths, a mere fraction. Why? Because it's safer, point blank. The fact that you keep posting articles that aren't even discussing what the current topic is shows that you lack the knowledge to successfully argue your points. 

Posting an article about becoming punch drunk or receiving brain damage or CTE has nothing to do with Muay Thai in Thailand. Boxing and Muay Thai have about as much In common as hockey and ringette. They both wear gloves. So what? That's where the similarities end. 

Boxing is generally 12 rounds, a regulated Thai right is 5 and they really only fight 2 of those rounds. This is apples and oranges 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

As another said, some of you would criticize anything and everything.  I've seen TV members criticizing kids for spending too much time on social media, or their smartphones, or too much video games, or too much Thai soap/TV....it never ends.  I'd imagine you'd want these kids to lock themselves in their rooms and read medical journals day and night.  But then you'll probably still criticize! 

I have been admonished repeatedly for criticizing the people who are always criticizing.  Ah, the critical responses from hypocritical persons are definitely a jolt to my critical thinking. 

Just shut up Rumak !   " Mrs. Rumak, they're picking on me again ! "  

"mai pen rai..... kin kow ru yang ? "

3 minutes ago, namatjira said:

worked wonders for Muhammad Ali, brain dead for much of his later life....not too many people would like to see their sons or daughters getting hit around the head on the off chance they can score a ‘ gig ‘ in Bangkok for a big payday.

educate them in other ways, they have the brains, or did, before they mashed them up under your ill thought out guidance.

I never knew that Ali lived and fought in Thailand. Any idea of which Camp? Was this before or after his western boxing career? Must have been tough for him to find fights vs the thai's considering he was around 230 lbs at his best. 

I applaud you for teaching me something new. 

Two different sports, had you read the majority of the thread you'd understand that. Or then again, you likely wouldn't. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gillyflower said:

Many, many years ago, when I lived in Sydney, there used to be a Police Boys Club, situated in just about the worst part of the town.  It kept a lot of kids off the street and becoming gangsters.

Sure! I'll take a bunch of migrant kids with no citizenship to the police station and ask the cops if they would like to help me build a police boys club. I'll make sure to write this idea down as it's a great one...

• Haha 1

Just now, Nakmuay887 said:

I never knew that Ali lived and fought in Thailand. Any idea of which Camp? Was this before or after his western boxing career? Must have been tough for him to find fights vs the thai's considering he was around 230 lbs at his best. 

I applaud you for teaching me something new. 

Two different sports, had you read the majority of the thread you'd understand that. Or then again, you likely wouldn't. 

Khun Nak .    A major part of winning a boxing match is often the strategy one uses, much the

same as on forums.   You surely will wear yourself out trying to duke it out with those (majority) whose opinions will never change.   You being a bit younger may have more changes to come, in the meantime keep doing what you feel is right.  

I do advise you that hitting your head against a brick wall can cause brain damage   ????

• Thanks 1