Non Immigrant Visa - Event Cancelled

Hello

I was planning to visit Thailand this Feb 20 to attend an event and some sightseeing but that Event has now been cancelled now due to Corona Virus issue.

When I applied for Visa a week ago, the embassy staff said to apply for Non Immigrant Visa and not Tourist Visa since I will be attending an event.

My questions is: Can I still visit Thailand with Non Immigrant Visa even if the event that I was planning to attend is cancelled and whose invitation letter I had submitted along with my Visa application.  

Will the Immigration officer at airport question about my intention now?

I just want to visit Thailand for tourism now but have this Non Immigrant Visa.

I am from Nepal.

Please help.

Regards

mtajim

• Like 1

if you turned up at airport immigration, with properly paid for Visa in Passport

- surely the IO wouldn't go and telephone your Inviter??

He'd be more interested in how much cash you had on you

the Invitation letter has already been received, and absorbed in acceptance for the Visa you got in good faith 

the only hassle will be the thermal scanner if you don't have your mask on

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

if you turned up at airport immigration, with properly paid for Visa in Passport

- surely the IO wouldn't go and telephone your Inviter??

He'd be more interested in how much cash you had on you

the Invitation letter has already been received, and absorbed in acceptance for the Visa you got in good faith 

the only hassle will be the thermal scanner if you don't have your mask on

If visa accepted, would not need cash. But agreed always good idea.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If visa accepted, would not need cash. But agreed always good idea.

Actually not correct. All types of visas is possible to be questioned to show 20k baht, but not very common with Non-0. Regarding exempt entry 10k baht.

• Like 1

I am guessing you got a Thai Immigrant type F to attend a meeting.  Not a bad idea, but as  you can now see had some possible risks.  I think you could apply and get a Thai Single Entry Tourist Visa.  That would give you 60 days in country and more flexibility.  Not sure about getting two visas at the same time, or if  you have enough time to do this.  I don't see Nepal on the Visa exempt nor visa on Arrival approved list of countries. 

31 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Actually not correct. All types of visas is possible to be questioned to show 20k baht, but not very common with Non-0. Regarding exempt entry 10k baht.

Yeah ok. Never let reality confuse what required rules.

The request for cash etc to someone with a visa i.e setv would be down to the "usual suspects" with continuous stay in Thailand. The OP did not seem fit that mo.

The cash would be asked for after already decision to decline entry. 

Hence reports of declined entry even with valid visa.

Even today I post advice when using METV to try and obtain 9 month...make sure last entry via border and certainly not DM.

This op never fitted that profile.

However never miss an opportunity to post NOT correct. 

BTW what to you mean "not very common with a Non-O"

Clarify. Certainly you not mean non o based on retirement with reentry permit because that is NEVER questioned. I'm in out Los every 2 or 3 weeks 7 years. 

Edited by DrJack54

If you have a long history of previous visits to Thailand, all bets are off. This is especially true as you are a Nepalese citizen. In theory, a visa guarantees you entry unless you satisfy one of the reasons under Section 12 of the Immigration Act for denied entry. However, Immigration in recent times has taken to making itself the arbiter of whether the consulate should have given you a visa. The consulate was correct to give you a Non O visa which is abrogated by Immigration much less often then tourist visas.

With no or limited prior visits to Thailand, you should be fine. Immigration does not second guess the visa issuing processes of consulates for infrequent visitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yeah ok. Never let reality confuse what required rules.

The request for cash etc to someone with a visa i.e setv would be down to the "usual suspects" with continuous stay in Thailand. The OP did not seem fit that mo.

The cash would be asked for after already decision to decline entry. 

Hence reports of declined entry even with valid visa.

Even today I post advice when using METV to try and obtain 9 month...make sure last entry via border and certainly not DM.

This op never fitted that profile.

However never miss an opportunity to post NOT correct. 

BTW what to you mean "not very common with a Non-O"

Clarify. Certainly you not mean non o based on retirement with reentry permit because that is NEVER questioned. I'm in out Los every 2 or 3 weeks 7 years. 

The fact is that they have the right to ask for money to show for all kinds of visas. Therefore your answer was wrong. If they do it or not is irrelevant, due to that they can do it if they want. Out of that reason you should always recommend that a person carry the money that suddenly might be needed to show. You don´t know 100 % that nobody will ask. 

Just accept the fact that you gave the wrong answer.

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The fact is that they have the right to ask for money to show for all kinds of visas. Therefore your answer was wrong. If they do it or not is irrelevant, due to that they can do it if they want. Out of that reason you should always recommend that a person carry the money that suddenly might be needed to show. You don´t know 100 % that nobody will ask. 

Just accept the fact that you gave the wrong answer.

Have a read post #4  in regards have cash. My comment

"But always good idea"

But point scoring is you mo..

BTW (and you know this) showing money especially at airports hardly ever cuts it.

Many reports that when even asked did not get an opportunity to show. The io just moved to another reason. 

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
baiting remark removed

6 hours ago, mtajim said:

Thank you everyone for you answers.

I have never been to Thailand before.

I will be carrying $1500 USD

I plan to stay in Thailand at most 10 days and will be back home after that.

Enjoy your holiday. You will be fine.

• Like 1