BANGKOK
Took

A domestic flight with a Thai driver's licence

Hi there,

Would you think it possible to take a domestic flight in Thailand

with a Thai driver's licence, instead of a passport?

Thank you in advance.

Yes. I've used my Thai driving licence as ID for internal flights but only as an exercise. As an alien you would always have your passport with you, wouldn't you?

• Like 1

travelling every week for the last 6 years BKK-HKT-BKK. Never shown more than my Thai Driving-license.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If anyone insists on seeing my passport, I whip out my color copy from my wallet. It always works.

And that at least is highly recommended.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mann33bkk said:

I have used my Thai driverlicens and pink ID card.  No problem

What airport do you fly from? Chiang Mai airport has never accepted my pink ID. But DL is no problem. 

• Like 2

I have used my Australian drivers licence before flying domestic in Thailand but last year they demanded to see my passport, i left it in my condo, so they sent me to the police office downstairs, and gave me a piece of paper in Thai, they let me through, but said next time MUST show passport, yes the rules are changing all the time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. My passport never leaves my safe while I am here in Thailand. My Thai DL is always adequate for everything except major banking and immigration stuff. Only then does the passport leave the safe. 

If a cop asks I show him my DL. I never hand it to him. Always show him from a distance. See it? Ok, so what do you want? Why are you interrupting my day?

If anyone insists on seeing my passport, I whip out my color copy from my wallet. It always works. 

NOW airlines will not accept a passport copy, i was knocked back before

• Confused 1

Used the Thai driver license many times for domestic flights, hotels etc. But as we know there's no consistency to the rules, so would rather be prepared showing the passport if needed.

• Like 2

The Pink Card 💳 works fine. Used it last week. Never been asked for my passport. 

• Like 1

The ID verification number on my drivers licence is my Passport Number... I'm sure that would just confuse the hell out of it..