A domestic flight with a Thai driver's licence

Took

I have used my Australian drivers licence before flying domestic in Thailand but last year they demanded to see my passport, i left it in my condo, so they sent me to the police office downstairs, and gave me a piece of paper in Thai, they let me through, but said next time MUST show passport, yes the rules are changing all the time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. My passport never leaves my safe while I am here in Thailand. My Thai DL is always adequate for everything except major banking and immigration stuff. Only then does the passport leave the safe. 

If a cop asks I show him my DL. I never hand it to him. Always show him from a distance. See it? Ok, so what do you want? Why are you interrupting my day?

If anyone insists on seeing my passport, I whip out my color copy from my wallet. It always works. 

NOW airlines will not accept a passport copy, i was knocked back before

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

What airport do you fly from? Chiang Mai airport has never accepted my pink ID. But DL is no problem. 

The pink ID has your name in Thai so you will have to book the flight in Thai language. The ID must match the name on the ID. Thai driving licence has your romanized name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If a cop asks I show him my DL. I never hand it to him. Always show him from a distance. See it? Ok, so what do you want? Why are you interrupting my day

Flights never an issue with Thai DL.

In Chiang Mai, I keep my Thai DL in my hand and hold it up as I pass thru check points and get waved on 95% of the time.  Sometimes they will stop me just to take a closer look.

I actually have thought about making a large maybe 18¨ by 18¨ photo of my DL and placing it on a piece of cardboard and pulling it out or attaching it to the front of my bike as I pass thru.  Wonder how that would go over? ????

Edited by bkk6060

4 hours ago, sniggie said:

Yes. I've used my Thai driving licence as ID for internal flights but only as an exercise. As an alien you would always have your passport with you, wouldn't you?

There's no law stating the need to carry a passport all the time. 

20 hours ago, Took said:

Would you think it possible to take a domestic flight in Thailand

with a Thai driver's licence, instead of a passport?

I've done some years back, no problem, don't know if it's still possible – in theory only a picture ID is required.

Edited by khunPer

5 hours ago, Khun Yaaai said:

Used the Thai driver license many times for domestic flights, hotels etc. But as we know there's no consistency to the rules, so would rather be prepared showing the passport if needed.

Yes, The endless dispute.

By law hotels are obliged to register you with your passport details, arrival card no, permission to stay ("TM30").

I don't do overnight trips without passport.

Banks 100% by order of central bank, no other ID accepted.

Don't know whether the airlines have also tightened rules.

Pink card is a game of luck. The booking shows your name as in passport ("English").

(this is also true for Thai people for whom the ID card shows name in "English" too).

Pink card only shows name transcribed to Thai script. Another annoying inconsistency.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Your Thai Driving License has your photo, address & most importantly your passport number on it. All of which are needed for ID verification. I fly three or four internal flights every month for the past ten years & not once shown my passport.

Domestic travel Have flown Thai lion with DL and pink I'D. Air Asia  declined both from CM. .. but would take passport just in case.... and as regulations change whenever the mood takes them  why take a chance.. better wear a mask too .. do i need to change my photo to me with a mask ID 555.

4 hours ago, Shammy said:

The ID verification number on my drivers licence is my Passport Number... I'm sure that would just confuse the hell out of it..

It's got your passport number, but it doesn't have your visa status. 

I don't know what's been behind the recent changes, but I suspect hotels and airlines may find themselves in some trouble if they board overstayers.

Last time I came to Thailand for a week in October, 2019, the hotels I stayed at had signs on the front desk indicating they could no longer accept a Thai DL.  When I handed them my passport, they checked the date on the stamp.  Just the fact that they printed up the signs indicates that something has changed.  So it wouldn't surprise me if airlines were under similar pressures.  And, I suspect, compliance will be inconsistent between airlines and between counter agents.

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

There's no law stating the need to carry a passport all the time. 

Uhhh looks like it.....

However, since the May 22 military coup, police in Thailand have rediscovered the existence of all kinds of laws, ranging from parking offences to encroaching on public land, which had been widely ignored in the past. It was only a matter of time before passports came to their attention.

7 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Uhhh looks like it.....

However, since the May 22 military coup, police in Thailand have rediscovered the existence of all kinds of laws, ranging from parking offences to encroaching on public land, which had been widely ignored in the past. It was only a matter of time before passports came to their attention.

Both the police and immigration police knows that a passport is a valuable and they have ,when being asked, confirmed in articles in both Bangkok Post and The Nation that a passport doesn't need to be carried at all times. 

22 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

The Pink Card ???? works fine. Used it last week. Never been asked for my passport. 

The Pink Card seldomly works for foreigners, if the reservation is made in Latin letters, but the name on the ID is written in Thai.