What Food or Drinks are you cooking (2020)

Metropolitian

6 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Sure.

Have to say it was all made 'freehand-mode' , so no measuring cups or scales, only with my hand and eyes.

The applepie:

Dough: about 1/3rd of the cooking margarine pack, half pack (bread)flour and 1/5th sugar. (All 1kg packs)

half small coffeecup milk(about 8 spoons), half teaspoon dried yeast, two teaspoons soda (mcgareth) and half teaspoon salt.

* The yeast mixed with the milk, leave it to bubble

* Mix the baking soda and salt with the flour and sugar

* Start kneading the mix and margarine, add the yeast-milk mixture.

Leave it to rest in the fridge.

<snip for brevity>

Thanks. I've never seen a pastry recipe with yeast and baking soda, but I will give it a try.

• Like 1

I cook for myself most days for 2 reasons: (1) I have been on keto for 2 years so I like to shop and cook within the keto guidelines, and (2) the wife can't resist throwing about 20 chillies in everything she makes.

Most common dishes I make in large quantities to freeze for days I can't be ar$ed are

Cream of broccoli soup

Cream of mushroom soup

Keema Pork (pork mince curry)

Slow cooked pork ribs

Crispy fried chicken

Roast chicken with cream cheese and bacon

Baked salmon with cream cheese stuffing

and many more

Obviously on keto so no rice, potatoes, pasta or bread, but a good substitute for rice is cauliflower rice. I use a lot of olive oil, butter and home made ghee in my cooking.

Recently bought some lamb steaks, shanks and mince from paleorobbie.com so am researching some new dishes.

On 2/12/2020 at 5:49 PM, Metropolitian said:

Yesterday I decided to make a classic applepie with slighty modified ingredients.

1581524998963.jpg.363290411925454f7aa58b26cff13eb2.jpg

No raisins and custard powder.

Ready for the oven.

1581524997073.jpg.b62377ed826ab4e121097f9392fd11d4.jpg

Results:

1581524994975.jpg.9ec9bed11121ea6b7694b01dd45755c2.jpg

Added another kilo to the scale ????

Did a little bit different this time.

One third part was filled with bananas, which came out surprisingly delicous.

1581524992696.jpg.b730bb4a4839610a74abc2ada17062c4.jpg

Wow, what a healthy meal. Your liver and pancreas will thank you. ????

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2020 at 8:19 PM, DJ54 said:

You guys killing me... food looks great....

???? Here you have more 555

Now with the lockdown, many are staying home.
Staring to the food, what would you do with it? Make something out of it?
Post your creations !

I haven't used the oven for the last two weeks but for heating up two pizzas.

So there are two creations from 3 weeks ago.

29145.thumb.jpg.01b8fd3c9f5bd5852d2902e7cd38a8fa.jpg29146.thumb.jpg.157575131f3e4f52bd9bd0c86e5ae69a.jpg

The last serious baking was a bit too 'done' , looks a bit burnt but it was just the caramelisation layer that went wrong. The chicken itself was perfect together with the salad. Missus only ate the chicken.
I kept the chicken in the scale with cola, yes cola!, and garlic pepper salt mixture. Next day straight in the oven after spooning out some of the liquids.

That salad was also a midday lunch, with cheesy sausages.

While the oven was still hot from baking the chicken and I had prepared dough that day the sheet was greased, dough formed in shapes and cookies were the results. Some filled with chocolate and other with bananas.

29149.thumb.jpg.9f33271aef08c6e4dc147f9c6793a0c3.jpg29147.thumb.jpg.5df0eed397c796575c8513e9d06260ac.jpg

Today I made some Banana Bread muffins out of some bananas the gf was going to bin. Here's the recipe and some photos.

·        BANANA BREAD MUFFINS

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs, beaten

3 bananas, finely mashed with a fork until slightly lumpy liquid (for serious and extreme moist muffins, try 4 bananas)

12 cups all-purpose flour

1teaspoon baking soda

12 teaspoon salt

12 teaspoon vanilla 

Pinch of nutmeg

Pinch of Cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:

·        Preheat oven to 350º / 180º.

·        Cream together the softened butter and sugar.

·        Add the beaten 2 eggs and mashed bananas, and vanilla.

·        Combine wet mixture well.

·        Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add the nutmeg and cinnamon to the creamed mixture.         Slowly mix in the Flour baking soda and salt mixture to the creamed mixture.

·        Mix just enough until combined. Do not overmix.

·        Grease a nonstick muffin pan and drop by spoonful’s into each cup until ¾ full

·        Bake at 350º / 180º for 25 to 30 minutes.  At 25 minutes insert toothpick into center to check if         done.

·        Makes 12 large muffins or 24 small muffins

·        Keeps well, refrigerated.

·        Can be wrapped in plastic wrap and foil and stored in the freezer.

beauty_20200419150619.jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 11:33 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Love a good homemade burger every now and again: Oversized homemade bun that doesn't fall apart when your digging in, homegrown lettuce, caramelized onions, peppered ground beef with melted mozzarella cheese over just to tickle the root of your mouth, ham, egg, Himalayan salt, grounded black pepper and a little chilli sauce, not to forget butter on the top and bottom of the bun, best burger in Thailand ????

IMG_9970.JPG.a0cb2e81b4ff3a97eecc57f30bf3d32a.JPG 

Grilled Halloumi cheese with garlic, spinach, olive oil and lemon over the top washed down with a cold one.

IMG_6626.JPG.1ed910999c4d809eeebf6847c8ffc05e.JPG

Brown pasta, add some prawns, olive oil, shredded cheddar cheese with some greens over and some pitted black Kalamata olives.

IMG_3592.JPG.82bd2fdeba1b63128c687145aa13e4b8.JPG

Homemade Lamingtons to die for with a short black

IMG_1105.JPG.390f1bfaa4be7ec21ea5f5749c3c98ad.JPG

I can't cook, but I love my Corona's and my Thai "chef" wife

Corona.jpg.a264b65a352d165e86c7dcd26c0f16fe.jpg

bushy_eyebrows.png.6a09fc79d3523db7edb82d619401f989.png

That burger is one of the best ive seen in a long time. I'm actually going to try to recreate it. Hope there isn't a copyright law on it ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lee b said:

That burger is one of the best ive seen in a long time. I'm actually going to try to recreate it. Hope there isn't a copyright law on it ????

Thanks, and yes go for it and enjoy it, if there is anything I would change the next time I have one, is the sauce, e.g. replace the sweet chili sauce with tabasco sauce just for that extra OMG factor ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks, and yes go for it and enjoy it, if there is anything I would change the next time I have one, is the sauce, e.g. replace the sweet chili sauce with tabasco sauce just for that extra OMG factor ????

Maybe a little A1 sauce ????

I am doing a lot of baking, cakes mostly, muffins and biscuits too.  Experimenting each week.  Shops are still full of the right ingredients.  It's fun, but fattening. Still, who cares.  I'll catch up in the gym some time soon. Mrs P looking like she is pregnant with twins, still cute thought. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1