What (Thai/Foreign) food are you eating. (2020)

Metropolitian

On 2/14/2020 at 8:44 PM, Number 6 said:

The sad, hard, dirty secret that I have arrived at after 30 years in Asi6is that foreigners don't like Asian food. Despite living here they expect to eat it no more than back home. They dislike rice and would never dream of eating it for breakfast. Spice, they simply can't handle it.

Then they complain about the cost of living ever increasing while indulging in all sorts of rubbish foods from home countries.

Absolutely never understood how farang gain/ keep so much weight on here. Well because they don't eat local. Never.

Different strokes for different folks.

When I first came to Thailand I didn't really want to eat warm food in the morning. So usually I would buy a sandwich or something in the morning. Even for a couple of months after I got together with my girlfriend. But at some point I decided to just try to eat Thai food in the morning and nowadays I pretty much don't eat anything but Thai food whenever I stay in Thailand (about 11 months in a year).

I don't eat the weird insect stuff that my girlfriend likes to eat now and then. I also don't eat most of the "Chiang Mai food", since most of the food isn't very delicious for me.

But the more well known Thai foods I like a lot, so I eat:

- Green curry chicken

- Penang curry chicken or pork

- Kao soi chicken

- Pad krapaow

- Pad thai

- The egg with pumpkin thingy (I don't know the name)

- Yellow curry

- Massaman curry

- Coconut curry with chicken

- Various Thai desserts, including mango and sticky rice (one of my favourites)

- Baked fish with herbs

- Etc, etc...

Here's some photos of the food my GF cooked for me in 2016 … many photos are made multiple times, but they give a decent impression. I think it looks all quite delicious.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aaZWhurwNYH54m9w7

Edited by wolf81
  • Like 2

Friday: Step-daughter announced she was taking Mrs C and I for a Valentine's Day dinner at Preecha restaurant, Ban Amphur. Spicey mango salad (the one with those tiny dried shrimp), Crab legs (already shelled, so no messing), BBQ rock lobster, and their superb spicey dipping sauce - fantastic.

Saturday: Polished off some pork sausages that I had cooked yesterday, just before the D-I-L invited us out to dinner. Had them with some Makro button mushrooms fried in butter.

Today: My usual black coffee and porridge oats for breakfast, followed by 8 hours at the Ramada water park (sans granddaughter). Got home completely exhausted (Mrs C and D-I-L don't do water slides and wave pools, but Granddad does). Scanned the fridge, freezer and pantry for something satisfying.

Choices included all manner of Thai and foreign  food.

I had baked beans on toast (real butter) - it's my dish for any occasion.

Granddaughter had strawberry jam on toast - that's her's.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 8:44 PM, Number 6 said:

The sad, hard, dirty secret that I have arrived at after 30 years in Asi6is that foreigners don't like Asian food. Despite living here they expect to eat it no more than back home. They dislike rice and would never dream of eating it for breakfast. Spice, they simply can't handle it.

Then they complain about the cost of living ever increasing while indulging in all sorts of rubbish foods from home countries.

Absolutely never understood how farang gain/ keep so much weight on here. Well because they don't eat local. Never.

So many thai restaurants are opening up. Mainly because it is so easy to make this bad food, and sell it at too high a price. Thai people do not cook, they simply heat up or fry some meat and vegetables, and then pour on top of it some bad sauce from Super Cheap or Tesco. These sauces are at best only 20% sugar, but typically 30 5 sugar. Pure poison. Thais are killing themselves with sugar, that makes them fat or obese, aiming at diabetes.

I am back at farang food.

I did not buy sugar or MSG in the last 30 years, so I am not going to eat that bad food now. Everything is sweet.

I asked last month about how they prepared Pad Thai... The answer was, ¨with ketchup'.

This restaurant asked me why I was not coming back to eat this year. I just pointed out to the cooking counter, and I said, because of those 10 or 12 bottles there, all loaded with sugar. The real cook Is Super Cheap...

• Like 1