Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Officials assure virus screening of thousands of tourists as cruise liners come to Phuket

Recommended Posts

Officials assure virus screening of thousands of tourists as cruise liners come to Phuket

By The Phuket News

 

1581499014_1-org.jpg

Cruise liner tourists arrive on shore in Patong on Jan 29. Photo: Patong Municipality PR

 

PHUKET: Phuket Marine Office Director Wiwat Chitchertwong has confirmed that at least 17 cruise ships will be coming to Phuket in the coming months, with four cruise ships filled with tourists coming to Phuket this week.

 

A total of 4,068 tourists and ship crew and staff will arrive in Phuket on two cruise liners tomorrow (Feb 13), Mr Wiwat revealed at a press briefing held at PPHO office in Phuket Town yesterday.

 

Scheduled to arrive at Phuket Deep Sea Port at 7am is a Seabourn Ovation cruise from Hong Kong carrying 919 people, comprising 487 tourists and 432 crew and ship staff.

 

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/officials-assure-virus-screening-of-thousands-of-tourists-as-cruise-liners-come-to-phuket-74797.php

 

 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-02-13
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All it takes are a few infected passengers.  It will be an interesting real time experiment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from the full article

 

Chief Thanit added that according to information provided from screening tourist arrivals in Phuket, the number of people suspected of being infected “keeps decreasing”, but declined to elaborate further, not even mentioning how many people in Phuket were currently under observation.

 

Mr Wiwat assured, “There are no confirmed reports of people infected with the virus on board, as some people believe. It is a different cruise ship.”

The reference to the “infected” cruise liners follows Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul ordering officials to not let any passengers or crew on the Westerdam cruise ship from Japan to disembark at the Laem Chabang port.

That order follows Japan itself not allowing any persons on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship to disembark. The ship, holding off the Japan coast, now has 174 people confirmed as infected with the virus.

The Diamond Princess, which originally had 3,700 passengers and crew on board, has become the largest single cluster of the newly named COVID-19 disease outside its origin in China, where it has now killed more than 1,100 people.

 

=======================================================================

 

Good to see we are is safe hands in Thailand who are admitting they are not releasing information about infection numbers to the public - well done, keep everybody in the dark and maybe it will just go away

 

Meanwhile, if anyone can make any sensible sense out of this cruise ship situation then it must be way above my head because I cannot  - Westerdam cruise ship had no reports of infection on board but was not allowed to dock - all I can think is it must have been about money and nothing to do with the virus - it just doesn't make any rational sense 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, smedly said:

from the full article

 

Chief Thanit added that according to information provided from screening tourist arrivals in Phuket, the number of people suspected of being infected “keeps decreasing”, but declined to elaborate further, not even mentioning how many people in Phuket were currently under observation.

 

Mr Wiwat assured, “There are no confirmed reports of people infected with the virus on board, as some people believe. It is a different cruise ship.”

The reference to the “infected” cruise liners follows Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul ordering officials to not let any passengers or crew on the Westerdam cruise ship from Japan to disembark at the Laem Chabang port.

That order follows Japan itself not allowing any persons on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship to disembark. The ship, holding off the Japan coast, now has 174 people confirmed as infected with the virus.

The Diamond Princess, which originally had 3,700 passengers and crew on board, has become the largest single cluster of the newly named COVID-19 disease outside its origin in China, where it has now killed more than 1,100 people.

 

=======================================================================

 

Good to see we are is safe hands in Thailand who are admitting they are not releasing information about infection numbers to the public - well done, keep everybody in the dark and maybe it will just go away

 

Meanwhile, if anyone can make any sensible sense out of this cruise ship situation then it must be way above my head because I cannot  - Westerdam cruise ship had no reports of infection on board but was not allowed to dock - all I can think is it must have been about money and nothing to do with the virus - it just doesn't make any rational sense 

Its about the tourist dollars, please do not confuse the "Humanitarian" words that will be used.  These passengers should all be quarantined in order to confirm or deny there may be an infection, unless of course the ship has been at sea for 21 days already without stopping off anywhere.  It is the only way we can be sure this COVID-19 does not continue its spread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nikmar said:

This might be a niave question, but how is this liner different to the liner that has been refused permission to dock.

Probably exceeds the unofficial threshold of Chinese passengers in order to be considered a gift from Motherland.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Its about the tourist dollars, please do not confuse the "Humanitarian" words that will be used.  These passengers should all be quarantined in order to confirm or deny there may be an infection, unless of course the ship has been at sea for 21 days already without stopping off anywhere.  It is the only way we can be sure this COVID-19 does not continue its spread.

I am not sure about the said 14/21 day incubation period that they all refer to .The first case  was found by a chinese Dr. in JAN.and he caught it himself and died the other day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

I am not sure about the said 14/21 day incubation period that they all refer to .The first case  was found by a chinese Dr. in JAN.and he caught it himself and died the other day.

How are those two facts contradictory? It's not even the middle of February now; he could have caught the virus at some point in early January, incubated it for a few days, then fell sick, incubation doesn't mean being sick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nikmar said:

This might be a niave question, but how is this liner different to the liner that has been refused permission to dock.

Quote

Seabourn Ovation cruise from Hong Kong

They're  Chinese....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...