BANGKOK
flyingsaucersarereal

Questions about getting remarried in Thailand

Hi there I have some basic questions about getting remarried in Thailand.

1. I understand I need a Affidavit of freedom to marry at the US Embassy (since I am American.)  Does the US Embassy need to see my Thai divorce paper if my ex wife has never been to America? Would I have to give them a copy of that?

2. Is there anything more involved in getting remarried that I have to show to the Thai offices besides the original divorce paper to get remarried in Thailand. 

Thanks

Edited by flyingsaucersarereal

The Embassy will need to see proof of divorce to issue the affirmation to marry.

• Haha 1

What if you claim never to have been married? Does your embassy need to attest to that? How would they know if you married in a third country?

MOVED to correct forum

I have nothing against showing the Embassy my Thai divorce paper but not sure if it is necessary since the marriage was in Thailand and really has nothing to do with America. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

I have nothing against showing the Embassy my Thai divorce paper but not sure if it is necessary since the marriage was in Thailand and really has nothing to do with America. 

I understand your logic, however you're a US citizen, and as a non-Thai wishing to marry in Thailand, you still require the affidavit of freedom to marry from your embassy. 

1 minute ago, pagallim said:

I understand your logic, however you're a US citizen, and as a non-Thai wishing to marry in Thailand, you still require the affidavit of freedom to marry from your embassy. 

I understand I need the affidavit the question is because the marriage was in Thailand and you don't register the marriage in America at the Embassy (that would be done in the state if you move back to America) how would they know if I was married or not? I am just going to give them the divorce paper but I am wondering if they need copies or they just look at the paper. A affidavit is just saying what you are telling them is the truth but they have no way to verify it.

I went to the US embassy last week to get the freedom to marry affidavit. I was divorced in the US and brought my Divorce Decree with me. I checked the box “Divorced” and submitted the affidavit. They did not ask to see my divorce decree and was able to get my affidavit. The embassy affidavit does not ask what country you were divorced in. Where you might need your divorce decree is at the local Amphur. I had mine translated to Thai and they looked at it but they said I didn’t need it. So, just bring it with you to the Amphur in case they want it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, regularguy said:

I went to the US embassy last week to get the freedom to marry affidavit. I was divorced in the US and brought my Divorce Decree with me. I checked the box “Divorced” and submitted the affidavit. They did not ask to see my divorce decree and was able to get my affidavit. The embassy affidavit does not ask what country you were divorced in. Where you might need your divorce decree is at the local Amphur. I had mine translated to Thai and they looked at it but they said I didn’t need it. So, just bring it with you to the Amphur in case they want it.

I have my Thai divorce decree in Thai language but wondering if that is enough or that divorce paper has to be translated into english for the embassy if they need to look at it? But as you say they didn't even need to look at it.

Edited by flyingsaucersarereal

2 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Right !!!  kinda makes sense.

I would say nothing to do with home country if you married a Thai woman then divorced her and married another Thai woman it's only Thailand's concern.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:57 AM, flyingsaucersarereal said:

I am not from U.S. but I understand your logic.  However, if you are required to fill in any forms from the embassy asking your marital status and you enter 'single' rather than 'divorced' you may be guilty of an offence in their eyes as you have made a knowingly false statement to them in order to gain their assistance in some legal or procedural matter.

Don't know your situation but would caution against making false statements to Govt Depts when seeking their assistance in anything.  Can't think of any Govt that sees the funny side of stuff like this.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:05 AM, fishtank said:

The Embassy will need to see proof of divorce to issue the affirmation to marry.

BS. They never asked to see mine and yes I said I was divorced. The service I used is in Chiang Mai and married at the amphora  both had the same requirement and I told the truth and they never questioned me for proof. Been married for over 13 years ad wife is on her 2nd 10 year tourist visa for the Colonies.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, khwaibah said:

BS. They never asked to see mine and yes I said I was divorced. The service I used is in Chiang Mai and married at the amphora  both had the same requirement and I told the truth and they never questioned me for proof. Been married for over 13 years ad wife is on her 2nd 10 year tourist visa for the Colonies.😁

I was just married in Chiang Mai two months ago and before I could do that I had to visit the UK Embassy in Bangkok to get an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry, that required me to produce an original copy of my divorce decree.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, justin case said:

needs to be translated and certified at CW 

Certification is done at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA), there are branch offices of MoFA in most Amphurs. Translations can be done anywhere and cannot be done by MoFA themselves.

• Sad 1