BANGKOK
notrub

Lining a pond and drip watering rice fields etc.

16 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Drip tape is great when its the right application, I can't imagine how you will make it work for rice though.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:59 AM, notrub said:

Question 1.  How about lining a pond?  does it have to be a one piece liner or can it be laid down in sheets with the joints sealed by a gummy tape?  I have done this with flat roofs and know how that works.  No need for hot tar etc..  Does this exist in Thailand?

Q2  There are many machines to row plant rice.  If I bought such a machine and hired a tractor to seed, do you think I could rent it to other farmers?

Q3  what are the costs involved in buying and laying the black drip feed pipe per 10 rai (for example) and what are the problems to look out for please?

Well done Canuckamuck, we haven't done much to answer Notrub's questions. 

Lining Ponds usual method is to use bentonite clay to line the pond. There was a topic on here before including source and prices. 

Here is a link that describes how it is used. https://pondwiki.com/sealing-a-pond-with-bentonite/

Renting Seed Drill for others to use, not for me. The return would be minimal (200baht a rai for tractor and plough) and the chance it wouldn't get "played with", remote. 

Drip tape - Not applicable to rice in my book. 

Edited by IsaanAussie

Have you looked into this method to save irrigation water: System of Rice Intensification (SRI)

Just now, CLW said:

Have you looked into this method to save irrigation water: System of Rice Intensification (SRI)

Absolutely. My issue is to be able to capture, store and control the maximum amount of rain water we get so I can grow other crops during the dry season. Draining and flooding of SRI style paddies is the easy bit as long as you have somewhere to store the water with a minimum loss due to evaporation and percolation. During the two peak months of rain, the issue is to limit run off losses. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 5:30 PM, IsaanAussie said:

Arh Grumpy (aka John Elliot of Fosters fame- Pigs Arz), haven't heard that expression for years. 

1,000m3 that is one big tank. How did the bore perform, how many litres per day did it yield?

The thing that frustrates me, is the passion Thais have for fishing out a pond by pumping all the water out around New Year. Put the water into another pond or into a recharge well in the ground at least, not just out on the surface. I asked my missus why they bother having a pond when they waste the water. The answer was so obvious, I shouldn't have asked. "No pond, no fish"

Well it kept pumping out water but at the moment I got no idea how much in terms of litres,  but the electric bin is on the table and it's 524baht instead of the usual 42 baht......which Auntie can pay forthwith!  When I plumb the bore to the shed I can time how long it takes to  fill the 2 x IBCs.  I think we have space for a 200 cubicM tank.....after rainy season and the dirt pile settles. 

It's fun to read about this and I had to laugh at John's anger Auntie wanted to pump a little more.  Reminds me of my girlfriend's mom who let the village cows eat all the stubble off of her 12 rai without  payment.  Mom has cows too.   Of course mom needs daughters support but I say if mom didnt give away cow grazing and also most of her rice to all the kin she would not need  daughter to give.  

I try to explain kin and village should be thanking my gf.  Seems to be a hot  topic.  

Edited by Elkski