Whats happening at CM Immigration?

terminatorchiangmai

20 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Is there any way of feeding back to the government the extent of the disaster that is Chiang Mai Immigration.

Serious question.

i don’t know enough about how the Thai system of government works.

In my country I’d write a letter of complaint to the Minister....and I’d get a reply from their office.

Its obvious that the current building and staff levels can’t cope.

I was there 2 weeks ago and it was entirely full with people spilling out (Many not wearing masks).
It was chaos.

The carpark was entirely full and backed up.

Any immigration officer who attempts to alter immigration practices, and succeeds gets his car shot full of holes. Most immigration officers don't like that.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

The furball that is the main office is totally unrelated to the virus. 

Not totally perhaps but believe it is a factor - there will be fewer officers available at normal front office if they now have to service two locations.  Do understand CM has never been a fun experience but suspect the virus situation is surely making it more difficult.  

Here in Bangkok had to do 90 day report today and arrived at 0810 - queue around side of immigration and across front lobby area about 4 times (much more than 90 days previously).  Four were taking fever at entry door but line moving better than ever (better than some Bangkok street traffic) - I was at end of line but only queue 35 and out at 0903.  Some offices do seem better organized than others.

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

Another irony is that when I think of all the systems that are in place for anything that involves organisation  that Thailand is absolutely clueless compared to the West, except queues. Go to the bank, TOT, PEA, Water office, land office, car tax office and every one of them has a flawless ticketing machine.

How much would it cost to put a ticket machine in? And why the hell dont they?

Nancy's agent would find a way of circumventing it!!!!

• Sad 1

"...for the first time in over a decade with a visa agent because I just couldn't take another year of getting up at 4 am and sitting around for hours. "

Well, yeah...but a few hours A YEAR? You'd rather spend three times the cost of the extension itself (or more) just to avoid a few hour of "sitting around" once a year

You must be one active person to not sit around at home for a few hours once in a while, let alone a year. 

But who wants to spend 0.034 percent of their entire year sitting around at immigration? 

• Sad 1

Difficult to say, last time I been there for a non-o extension they only processed 6 people from the morning opening until 2:45PM in the afternoon, when it was finally my turn. That way you easily cause all seats to be occupied and make one think there is masses of tourists and expats. 

Hope this is temporary, else I will not even bother to extend but do a Mae Sai trip and new Non-o in Vietnam afterwards.
Half a day and longer waiting with a wife and young kid is just a nightmare, a full day trip to Mae Sai is fun compared to that.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

"...for the first time in over a decade with a visa agent because I just couldn't take another year of getting up at 4 am and sitting around for hours. "

Well, yeah...but a few hours A YEAR? You'd rather spend three times the cost of the extension itself (or more) just to avoid a few hour of "sitting around" once a year

You must be one active person to not sit around at home for a few hours once in a while, let alone a year. 

But who wants to spend 0.034 percent of their entire year sitting around at immigration? 

Life is too short to not spend your way out of an unpleasant experience, I remember my first agent assisted renewal after 10 years of DIY,  what a breeze,  money well spent.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rama said:

Yes, mostly Chinese in line looking for visa extensions. I think it will pass. Did my 90 day reporting using the immigration phone app. Easy. Approval sent back in app in less than 24 hours.

What "immigration phone app?"  Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've never heard of it.  When did that happen and where can I get info about it?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Any immigration officer who attempts to alter immigration practices, and succeeds gets his car shot full of holes. Most immigration officers don't like that.????

I believe you're on to something!

• Like 2

As I like to budget, assuming the IO furball still exists in 8 months.

What is the cost for an agent to handle a non o ext. (for reasons of retirement) visa, renewal for a new year. A poster here mentioned the sum of three times the fee. I assumed it was more than 5700B

Thanks

Not sure what is going on at our bright ,shiny, new Immigration office that was supposed to overcome all the chaos that was evident at Promenada and haven't there been reports of foreigners leaving the country in droves for new pastures which should make numbers at Immigration less.

On Wednesday December 18 as a DYI guy I arrived at 8.15 am for extension of my 13th retirement visa.There was no queue outside just 3 people in front of me in the queue at the information desk inside.Got number (31). Number (5) was being processed but I knew I had to go back to Bangkok Bank at KSK to get the bank statement,insisted on by the new boss, which simply duplicated the entries and deductions in my fixed term deposit passbook.I returned at 11 am and was processed and out of there by 1 PM.

So in only 8 weeks, judging by reports here and photos on social media,people standing in the sun snaking into the car park,the place has gone back to being a shambles.I can't believe the Virus situation is really the cause. I have heard rumours some have been people,mostly marriage visas, receiving home visits from Imm Officers to confirm the information they gave was legit,so are there less staff in house?

What is required is a "whistle blower' who can tell us exactly what is going on because if this continues its just going to drive more to Agents aka "queue jumpers"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Not sure what is going on at our bright ,shiny, new Immigration office that was supposed to overcome all the chaos that was evident at Promenada and haven't there been reports of foreigners leaving the country in droves for new pastures which should make numbers at Immigration less.

50,000-100,000 expats living around Chiang Mai, if they all went to immigration for an extension once a year, that would be 200-400 per working day. Now add the tourists and the Burmese labourers.

Edited by BritManToo

7 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

As I like to budget, assuming the IO furball still exists in 8 months.

What is the cost for an agent to handle a non o ext. (for reasons of retirement) visa, renewal for a new year. A poster here mentioned the sum of three times the fee. I assumed it was more than 5700B

Thanks

I enquired at an Agent near our home the cost for "assisting" with my retirement extension. It was 7,850 b,  the 1,900b Imm fee included.I only made the enquiry as I was anticipating a health issue which did not eventuate and finished up doing it myself ,my 13th in CM

Edited by Sparkles
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

50,000-100,000 expats living around Chiang Mai, if they all went to immigration for an extension once a year, that would be 200-400 per working day. Now add the tourists and the Burmese labourers.

Do you have a reliable source for that number of expats living here on a permanent basis or just an educated guess ?

17 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Not all agents are strong armed robbers

• Like 2

13 hours ago, connda said:

Which primarily serve <drum roll> Thais! <cymbal crash>. 

If you listened to Health Minister Arunit's comments, then you'd understand.  It was a racist tirade with him starting out by angrily exclaiming, "Da*n farangs! Those da*n farang tourists!"  I'm pretty sure he simply vocalized the prevailing sentiment of most governmental agencies including Thai Immigration.
We are foreigners living in a overtly xenophobic country.  "Why the hell don't they" install the type of queuing systems found in every government office of any size throughout Thailand? 
Simple - use your imagination, observational skills, and basic understanding of how the Thai government views foreigners, or kon daeng, which means quite literally "outsiders" to anyone who is kon Thai.  Then you'll understand.
The treatment that we foreigners (outsiders) receive is not a one-off.  It's meant to be this way.  Painful, albeit unnecessary.  It doesn't have to be this way - they choose to make it this way.  "Ai farang", as the good Minister of Health would say.  :sleep:  What you see is what you get. 

At one time they used a machine dispensing numbers but for what ever reason the people getting numbers could not press the correct buttons for the service they required. Over time they did away with the machine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

What is required is a "whistle blower' who can tell us exactly what is going on because if this continues its just going to drive more to Agents aka "queue jumpers"

Another Visa Agent Basher.

Many expats are  happy to engage a Reputable Visa Agent etc etc for a Saloon Passage  at  Cmai Immgr Dept . where their Fee.s IMO are very affordable to most expats residing in Cmai

Your properstrous remark of a Whistle Blower to come forward is Ga  Ga Land  Tripe

If that concerned.  be the Whistle Blower yourself.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

,BUT I will never use an agent.

A golden rule

Never say Never????

but if u wish  to be a DIY.

at Cmai Immgr Dept

that.s your choice

good luck to you

Edited by deej
  • Like 1