Going 50. Permission of stay. Visa necessary?

Hello,

in two months I'm going to be 50.

I will enter Thailand with a 30 day stamp next week. (onward ticket necessary?)

I want to apply for the permission of stay at the immigration later on.

The necessary money is already in my bank account. So that's not the issue.

I've googled a lot.

Some say, you need at least a single entry NON-O visa to apply. I'm not 50 yet.

Some say, get an O-A. Which is a problem for me, because I cannot show any proof of a state pension. And I do (only) have a non-thai insurance.

Some say, a tourist visa is good enough.

And others say, you can enter with the 30 day stamp and it can be converted into some kind of O visa.

Pretty confusing.

May I ask you for some ideas on how to get this problem solved?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've been living in Thailand for 15 years. Filed a divorce two years ago.

That's why I had some difficulties staying in the country for the last year.

Bank books, yellow book, pink ID. It's all there ????

Edited by schweng

You state that you will enter next week(!) on a 30 day visa exempt.

So is your question simply: what route to one year extension from there?

Simpler/better would have been entering with a single Non O.

Avoid Non O-A.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Although there are misc routes, a simple (single entry) Non O allows you to apply directly for extension without any conversion etc.

Avoid the Non O-A in your situation (money already in the country etc.).

I'm in Kuala Lumpur right now. The embassy won't issue a single entry NON-O, if you're not 50 years old and/or a resident in Malaysia (whatever the logic may be in this one)

Is Penang issuing a S NON-O to peole unter 50 years of age?

OP, just to add ...if for some reason you don't want to obtain setv then fly in visa exempt. (Btw you would need onward flight). Extend the 30 visa exemp gives you 60. Then do border run and re-enter. With another extension would give you 4 months. Plenty of time to do conversion to non o at imm.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Extend the 30 visa exemp gives you 60. Then do border run and re-enter. With another extension would give you 4 months. Plenty of time to do conversion to non o at imm.

With 4 months, you mean 2x 30+30, correct?

And with this extension I can simply apply for a conversion?

12 minutes ago, schweng said:

With 4 months, you mean 2x 30+30, correct?

And with this extension I can simply apply for a conversion?

You can do a "conversion" to non O (retirement) at immigration from a visa exempt or tourist visa.

Your other option is to just exit Thailand when you turn 50 and obtain a non o at some Thai consulate. Bit depends on where you live in Thailand.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can do a "conversion" to non O (retirement) at immigration from a visa exempt or tourist visa.

Can this conversion be made at any immigration? The Province im registered, for example? Or do I have to go to an immigration in BKK for that?

12 minutes ago, schweng said:

Can this conversion be made at any immigration? The Province im registered, for example? Or do I have to go to an immigration in BKK for that?

The non immigrant visa application has to be done at the designated office for where you are living.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, schweng said:

Where are you planning to settle in Thailand?

5 hours ago, schweng said:

I've been living in Thailand for 15 years.

In this time you should met a lot of people they know how to do. 

After 15 years you need TVF? 

No post, no question, just nothing on TVF in 15 years? 

Where was you hiding ... and why? 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

He joined TVF 6 hours ago. And has asked some questions. Don't understand what you are getting at.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, schweng said:

I'm living in Khon Kaen province.

I also went to their immigration to get some information beforehand.

They were absolutely clueless.

Don’t forget that the official rule for getting a non-O visa in Thailand (conversation from a visa exempt or tourist visa) is that the money in the bank (800k) must be shown to come from outside Thailand. I don’t know if region 4 (Khon Kaen) is enforcing this requirement @ubonjoe will be able to confirm if the do or not.

So you may have to visit one of the nearby countries, I think Vietnam may be a good choice but others will advise, to get a non-O

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Don’t forget that the official rule for getting a non-O visa in Thailand (conversation from a visa exempt or tourist visa) is that the money in the bank (800k) must be shown to come from outside Thailand. I don’t know if region 4 (Khon Kaen) is enforcing this requirement @ubonjoe will be able to confirm if the do or not.

So you may have to visit one of the nearby countries, I think Vietnam may be a good choice but others will advise, to get a non-O

Excellent advice.

Also in regards consulates, Saigon would be my pic.

If you turn 50 a week or ten days before the extension of a visa waiver expires, you could probably obtain a 90-day Non-O at your local immigration office In time if you applied on your birthday.  It would be cutting it close though.

1 minute ago, DogNo1 said:

If you turn 50 a week or ten days before the extension of a visa waiver expires, you could probably obtain a 90-day Non-O at your local immigration office In time if you applied on your birthday.  It would be cutting it close though.

That doesn’t work as you must have 15 day remaining on your permission to stay to apply along with the probable proof of funds transfer into thailand 

18 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

The requirements have undergone substantial changes in the last year or two, one change is only 4 months old. 

He has caught on to a useful resource now that he needs it and sensibly posed questions.

I do not see why you take him to task.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

Slightly off topic but  I was just wondering... I have a visa based on marriage,but would like to change it to retirement visa (divorce imminent). Is this possible 

Many thanks

You don’t have a visa but a permission to stay, but yes you can easily change at your next renewal. How much it will cost depends on your original entry visa (more because of insurance if it was a non-OA) but it’s more likely to have been a non O so just the standard 1,900 Baht 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

@schweng

The best advice was given by DrJack54 in post 5, but could I elaborate.

You can convert a Visa exempt or Tourist Visa entry into a Non O at KK Immigration.

You must have a Non Imm type to obtain an annual extension.

Apart from the financial criteria, the other main two are; 1. You must be 50 years of age, 2. You must have at least 15 days permission of stay remaining (this is to allow the processing time).

Conversion procedure here: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

As your not 50 for 2 months a Tourist Visa would grant you permission to stay for 60 days, then apply for a 30 day extension, totalling 90 days. This allows you to reach the age of 50 and still have at least 15 days permission of stay remaining to apply for the Non O.

It may be possible to do both the 30 day extension, then immediately apply for the Non O conversion on the same visit.

Once the Non O is granted, you'll be given permission of stay for a further 90 days.

Within the last 30 days of that permission, you can apply for the annual extension.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Don’t forget that the official rule for getting a non-O visa in Thailand (conversation from a visa exempt or tourist visa) is that the money in the bank (800k) must be shown to come from outside Thailand.

I've got more than the necessary amount on a bank account for years already (when I was on a marriage visa). I don't know, if the bank could go that much back in time to show that the money came from another country in 2006

????

Successfully navigated this same route about a year ago.  Came in on a 60 day SETV, two months and 5 days before 50th.   Then extend that for 30 days.   In that 30 day period, you apply to change visa type to Non O.  Straight forward if your money is seasoned.

in the last month of the Non O you then apply for your extension of stay.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, schweng said:

I'm living in Khon Kaen province.

I also went to their immigration to get some information beforehand.

They were absolutely clueless.

Go for a 60 days tourist visa if possible. Then if needed extend it another 30 days. When do you enter Thailand and when do you turn 50?