Going 50. Permission of stay. Visa necessary?

3 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

If you turn 50 a week or ten days before the extension of a visa waiver expires, you could probably obtain a 90-day Non-O at your local immigration office In time if you applied on your birthday.  It would be cutting it close though.

Several immigration offices wants the conversion to start not later than 7 days into the 30 days Visa exempt. 

18 hours ago, schweng said:

I've got more than the necessary amount on a bank account for years already (when I was on a marriage visa). I don't know, if the bank could go that much back in time to show that the money came from another country in 2006

????

The information is in the link above and is section 5.3 as I mentioned I think that some offices may not enforce the rule, but if you go to an embassy or consulate that will issue that visa then if proof of funds is needed, where they are and how they got there does not matter.

42AB88F6-90B0-47CE-9589-538F92C22599.thumb.jpeg.dfbe4cb34c241944f21d7cfb70a2c4bf.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

About 6 mths ago I flew in, 30 day exempt, extended 60 days, just went in and asked immigration. Okay what now. Eventually, (I left it just too late to kick off process, do it first week), I got non O.

That's your easiest path especially with funds already in bank.

The more you ask around and read the more confusing it gets. Just ask the people that are going to stamp your passport.

Also don't stress too much about immigration. Doesn't matter if it takes 2 or 3 trips. It's an outing! Met a few people, have a look around!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update:

I've got a 30 day extension at the immigration office. It will run out 7 days after I'm 50 years old. As it has been mentioned, there is the need of a minimum of 15 days of visa or extension validity. The IO told me a week ago that I would get a letter from the embassy. That kind of letter is currently handed out only to tourists who want to go back to their home country. I've contacted my embassy and they told me that I would have to leave Thailand and to fly back to my home country (book a flight etc.) to get that letter. Otherwise they couldn't provide it. Nobody was interested in the fact that I'm registered in Thailand for 16 years and would have no home to go to.

On my birthday or the day after, I will visit immigration again, to ask them what to do and how to get additional 8 days of validity somehow. Worst case scenario would be the sponsorship of some random IO's rims for his BMW....
????

Edited by schweng

11 minutes ago, schweng said:

The IO told me a week ago that I would get a letter from the embassy.

What embassy told you the you had to return home to get the letter?

Since you would need to apply for the special 30 day extension a letter from the embassy would be needed. Perhaps the embassy misunderstood what you wanted.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:19 AM, Martin71 said:

Slightly off topic but  I was just wondering... I have a visa based on marriage,but would like to change it to retirement visa (divorce imminent). Is this possible 

Many thanks

Yes I did the same some years ago not because of divorce but I turned 50 and it was easier than getting all the paperwork and wife (also later a witness because of no child) to the office to get an under consideration stamp and waiting a couple of week for a decision

10 hours ago, wobblyjohn said:

Yes I did the same some years ago not because of divorce but I turned 50 and it was easier than getting all the paperwork and wife (also later a witness because of no child) to the office to get an under consideration stamp and waiting a couple of week for a decision

I also did many years ago but it required the wife be present, as they want to make sure she knows you may be getting ready to leave her.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What embassy told you the you had to return home to get the letter?

Since you would need to apply for the special 30 day extension a letter from the embassy would be needed. Perhaps the embassy misunderstood what you wanted.

The embassy told me that this letter cannot be handed out to foreigners not having a tourist background in this country. Since I am living and registered in Thailand für more than a decade, they wouldn't provide the letter for me. They added that this is not logical, but rules are rules ...

Doesn't help me, but keeps bureaucracy intact ...

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I am 50 now. Went to the Immigration on 14th of April. Asked the IO what to do now, to apply for the NON-O. He told me that I have to get a letter from the embassy, since there are only 7 days left on my extension. I've asked him what about the amnesty until 30th of this month. That would be more than the necessary 15 days.

He said: "NO! Need letter from ebassy!"

He also said, that I'd have overstay, if I present myself to the immigration AFTER 20th of April .... Nonsense!

Ok, so I've sent an email to my embassy asking for that document. Their answer: "we don't hand out this letter anymore, since there's no need for it anymore. At least until April 30th."

Instead, I should show the officer an official link of the Thai Immigration .... He will not care about that, since I've tried to present that exact website to him on my visit two days ago!

Any professional advice on this one?

What would be my next steps?

What can I do, to contact an officer who's not so intolerant and falsly informed as him?

Edited by schweng

20 minutes ago, schweng said:

I am 50 now. Went to the Immigration on 14th of April. Asked the IO what to do now, to apply for the NON-O. He told me that I have to get a letter from the embassy, since there are only 7 days left on my extension. I've asked him what about the amnesty until 30th of this month. That would be more than the necessary 15 days.

He said: "NO! Need letter from ebassy!"

He also said, that I'd have overstay, if I present myself to the immigration AFTER 20th of April .... Nonsense!

Which office was that.

What they are incorrectly saying is that the exemption is not a tourist visa entry. I think they are wrong.

Another thing that could be pointed out is the only reason that want 15 days for is so that you can stay in the country until the visa application is approved. You can stay till until the 30 which gave you the 15 days.

The overstay comment was completely wrong and indicates is not aware of the what the ministerial order has stated.

20 minutes ago, schweng said:

Ok, so I've sent an email to my embassy asking for that document. Their answer: "we don't hand out this letter anymore, since there's no need for it anymore. At least until April 30th."

I think the embassy is wrong. Why would it be so hard for them to do the letter to allow you do what you need to do.

The emergency extension would not likely meet the change of status requirements (from visa exempt or tourist visa entry) and you say you have been here for years so not sure you even have such an entry even if you still had 15 days remaining.  You could try using an agent - otherwise suspect you can stay as is until emergency over and then will have to leave (making a return could be problematic in the short term but we really do not know now what will be required).

• Like 1

It's the Immigration in Khon Kaen.

Leaving the country is absolutely NO option for me, since I may not enter it anymore (visa vise and/or corona vise).

To be at the mercy of such an ignorant fool, is not very pleasant. Even when I've tried to get a 2nd opinion of another officer, he told them something in thai quickly.

I could also be payback time, since I've declined his "no worries" package for 15000 Baht three weeks ago ...

But that's only speculation.

Facts are facts, and this guy has no clue, what's legal and what's not.

By today, the 15 days option is off the table. So, how can i get a further 30 days extension now?

And telling your embassy that they are wrong .... leads you nowhere. They've officially announced to stop handing out those papers after the amnesty has been announced on April 7th

Edited by schweng

27 minutes ago, schweng said:

By today, the 15 days option is off the table. So, how can i get a further 30 days extension now?

True but they could be flexible about it since it is almost a certainty it will be extended.

27 minutes ago, schweng said:

And telling your embassy that they are wrong .... leads you nowhere.

Not saying they are wrong in all cases. If you explain your problem to them they should at least be flexible enough to do the letter.

I would certainly try to explain it to them.

I just had a phone call with a very nice and helpful guy at the immigration hotline. He said, that the Immigration should or could have granted the NON-O at that point of time. They may have been confused about my extension. I've asked him, if it would be possible to send a document to me, stating what he just told me, to present it at the immigration. "Uhm, cannot sir" was the response. He shared a phone number I should call tomorrow morning, where there may be someone who could help me in this situation. He didn't mention the name of that institution. I just hope it's not an agent ...

Edited by schweng