Thailand and guns: Media mentions thousands of deaths from gun violence - but the USA is worse

webfact

I saw several news accounts that the Korat shooter purchased three weapons through the 'Army welfare program'.  Is there a limit on the number of weapons that can be purchased under the program? What, if anything, prevents these weapons being sold on the 'black' or 'gray' market'?

Based on what I have 'heard' but with no personal experience, I was always under the impression that if you had enough money, getting a gun in Thailand wasn't a problem. 

I would also be curious to know if carrying a weapon in Thailand is legal and whether the Thai government issues permits to gun holders.

Edited by pookiki
grammar
  • Thanks 2

35% of U.S. mass shooters (lone, male, 18-59) are veterans, whereas 14.76% of the general population (male, 18-59) are veterans. A mass shooter is 2.37 times more likely to be a veteran than a random person is. - The Foreign Policy Journal

Of course veterans are not all mass shifters waiting to explode.

• Confused 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Playbook tactic #1 If it is bad, try and drag the USA into it. However  .. 

In 2016 Thailand's rate of violent gun-related deaths stood at 4.45 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. In comparison, that of the Philippines was 7.42; the US, 3.85; Cambodia, 0.96; Myanmar, 0.56; Malaysia, 0.46; Indonesia, 0.10; and Singapore, 0.03.

Coconuts had this story on TV a couple years back back

NPR ran the data from the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation after the recent mass shootings in California, and found Thailand had 7.48 violent gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2013. That’s over twice the gun death rate in the US, which had 3.55 deaths per 100,000 people in the same year. Thailand also has the highest gun death rate in Asia, the data shows. It had 50% more deaths than the Philippines, which also beat the US gun death rate with 4.64 deaths per 100,000 people.

Maybe they should not have included ... but the USA is worse

Not sure where you get those numbers. The NPR piece I find (from last year) has the rate for the US at 4.43 while the comparable rate for Thailand is 3.71 and the rate for the Philippines is 9.20(!). 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/08/05/743579605/how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries-in-deaths-from-gun-violence

So it seems they were technically correct in placing the US ahead of them... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would own a gun for self defence if the law hadn't changed in 2017. I meet the criteria for legally owning a gun apart from not being Thai. I still want to defend myself if the case arises. I've felt this way after being physically threaten a few months ago. I'm not pro-gun but if the Thai man in the street can legally own one for protection I'd like to too.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Very interesting stats, but I am happy to report that I have not shot anybody so far this year (although it is only Feb).

????

I don't know where the Foreign Policy Journal bakes their statistics, but the facts are the largest % killings are done by gangs while committing robberies, turf wars, drug deals going wrong, and kids under duress, peer pressure, victims of bullying, and or mental issues, shooting up schools. US Veterans involved in illegal gun use are few and far between. 

• Like 2