BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand and guns: Media mentions thousands of deaths from gun violence - but the USA is worse

On 2/13/2020 at 11:12 AM, webfact said:

This was not as bad as countries like Brazil, the USA and India, said the media.

Oh! Well then, keep on killing. I didn’t realize it was a contest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ta158 said:

i say that about sweden too and UK, but people are quick to point out of ''dangerous'' sweden or UK is, and how safe thailand is

it is just funny when thailand has around 4,000 murders yearly, while UK has around 700 with very similar population to thailand, and sweden having similar murder rates to UK per capita at around 1 murder for every 100,000 people.

so just beacause you personally never have seen a gun or vitnessed gun violence does that automaticlly make thailand not have around 3,000 gun murders yearly? and have alot of shootings? compared to Europe,Australia, New zealand and similar rate as USA gun murders.

''peaceful society here'' i almost fell down my chair laughing, you must be new in thailand or dont read the news frequently.

He lives in a village in the middle of nowhere. It’s not a surprise that he hasn’t seen gun violence.

It’s also not surprising that he lives in Thailand with that sort of reasoning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, woogoo said:

What they are also not telling you is that the vast majority of those gun deaths in the US are suicides. If you take out those and only include "gun violence", the numbers are much smaller. More people are killed by hammers and knives than guns. But, that's the difference in a country that over reports vs. one that underreports everything except the tourist numbers.

And anyone who commits suicide is not worth counting?

7 hours ago, woogoo said:

What they are also not telling you is that the vast majority of those gun deaths in the US are suicides. If you take out those and only include "gun violence", the numbers are much smaller. More people are killed by hammers and knives than guns. But, that's the difference in a country that over reports vs. one that underreports everything except the tourist numbers.

Bullcrap, gun murders stands for most of the murders in USA. There is around 17,000 murders yearly, and 14,000 is gun murders, so how is knife , hammer or other methods used more In murders? Do people not at least make sure it is right? Facts they post? See that all the time here.

I agree on last bit though.

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Even verbally assaulting a policeman in the US can lead to arrest, or worse. They are some of the most aggressive law enforcement people I have ever encountered, and are becoming highly militarized.

Yes, the police in the United States are, in fact, becoming more militarized. And, at the very same time, numerous politicians across the United States are calling for more and more restrictions on the private ownership of firearms. Combine that with the fact that American youth has been indoctrinated by their communist professors and it all adds up to an Orwellian nightmare looming just over the horizon. At least that's the way I see it.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, deesquared said:

What does gun rights have anything to do with a soldier rading an armory? If anything gun rights could have helped this situation. We've seen this time and time again in the US when a private citizen stops a shooting with their own weapon. 

"We've seen this time and time again in the US when a private citizen stops a shooting with their own weapon. "

Huh, I guess I missed a few of those.

22 hours ago, oslooskar said:

Complaining and constructive criticism are not the same as bashing. I bash the politicians in California because there is no doubt in my mind that they are criminals. Take Uber for example; why was it allowed to operate in California without having to follow the very same rules as those in the taxi industry? Answer: somebody in Sacramento took a bribe and in so doing allowed Uber to all but destroy the taxi industry and ruin the lives of people in that industry who followed the rules for years.

The rules may be the rules, but the reality is that taxis are not competitively priced in the US, and we were ready for alternatives. Taxis died due to competition, because they were not competitive. Uber, Grab, and Lyft have completely transformed transportation options in the US. I use them alot, and love them, and applaud them. And bad, nonsensical rules are meant to be broken. Who knows where the real corruption lies? My sense of it, is that the original monopolies that taxis were granted, is right up there with the BA Samui airport monopoly. Not good for the people, on any level. A few thousand people are out of work. That is the way the modern economy works. Adapt, or die.

Edited by spidermike007

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The rules may be the rules, but the reality is that taxis are not competitively priced in the US, and we were ready for alternatives. Taxis died due to competition, because they were not competitive. Uber, Grab, and Lyft have completely transformed transportation options in the US. I use them alot, and love them, and applaud them. And bad, nonsensical rules are meant to be broken. Who knows where the real corruption lies? My sense of it, is that the original monopolies that taxis were granted, is right up there with the BA Samui airport monopoly. Not good for the people, on any level. A few thousand people are out of work. That is the way the modern economy works. Adapt, or die.

Knowing where the real corruption lies is not rocket science------at least in the case of California and in particular San Francisco. That's why the San Francisco Federal Credit Union is suing the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. Also, be advised that in San Francisco it is the Board of Supervisors who regulate taxi fares, not the cab companies. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for free enterprise just as long as the playing field is level for all the competitors------and it's not.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:30 PM, spidermike007 said:

This recent massacre is extremely rare in Thailand. I am far more fearful of violence and being shot in the US, than I am here. 

Most gun deaths in Thailand are Thai on Thai. Very little violence against foreigners, fortunately. 

Not only that, but the vast, vast majority of gun deaths in Thailand are between people who know each other (or a hired hit against someone). A result of business disputes or more commonly, relationship issues where a jealous wife hires a hitman to kill her cheating husband. That sort of thing. Random gun violence committed by Thais either against other Thais or non-Thais, is extremely rare. I definitely agree with you there.