Thailand and guns: Media mentions thousands of deaths from gun violence - but the USA is worse

webfact

32 minutes ago, MickGC said:

Yes I love maps an charts too, especially the ones pumped out by the UN, pushing their agenda to remove all guns from the populace world wide. One world, one govt, only the uniforms have guns. By all means, buy into that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

This was not as bad as countries like Brazil, the USA and India, said the media.

This statement is misleading.

The slide referred to doesn't make the assertion that 'Thailand is not so bad as these other places'. It simply lists the supposed top three countries in terms of gun violence. It may not be excuse-making, as some of the sensitive Americans here have assumed. Just as likely, it's also intended to give some perspective to the numbers. If I tell you that alcohol consumption in Thailand is about 8.3l per person annually. You may not know if that is high or low. If I also tell you it's 12.2l for both Australia and France, and 15.1l in Russia, you have better idea of what the stat for Thailand means.     

Agree with many of the previous  comments, Don't worry about where you sit on the global scale.More important to look objectively at what Thailand can do to  gain control of the tragic happenings within its own country. road toll, shootings, domestic violence,gambling,financial scams to name a few. The government seems to miss  the point and just keeps on drawing comparisons or promising new action which are never forth coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Playbook tactic #1 If it is bad, try and drag the USA into it. However  .. 

In 2016 Thailand's rate of violent gun-related deaths stood at 4.45 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. In comparison, that of the Philippines was 7.42; the US, 3.85; Cambodia, 0.96; Myanmar, 0.56; Malaysia, 0.46; Indonesia, 0.10; and Singapore, 0.03.

Coconuts had this story on TV a couple years back back

NPR ran the data from the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation after the recent mass shootings in California, and found Thailand had 7.48 violent gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2013. That’s over twice the gun death rate in the US, which had 3.55 deaths per 100,000 people in the same year. Thailand also has the highest gun death rate in Asia, the data shows. It had 50% more deaths than the Philippines, which also beat the US gun death rate with 4.64 deaths per 100,000 people.

Maybe they should not have included ... but the USA is worse

You are assuming that Thais either understand or care about ratios.  It is way over their heads!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, deesquared said:

What does gun rights have anything to do with a soldier rading an armory? If anything gun rights could have helped this situation. We've seen this time and time again in the US when a private citizen stops a shooting with their own weapon. 

You make a very good point!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Okay so Thailand is not that bad, but since 2017 nas only Thais can own guns, therefore all GUN deaths are attributed to Thais, this nation who we were told could nopt have killed the couple on Koh Tao as Thais do not do that.

Well giess what Thais do and will continue to commit murder for the stupidest reasons and apparently it is OKAY ! As a Wai and grovelling will suffice 

• Like 1

In a free society, where one arms themself and protects themself with a firearm,  it is difficult to commit Genocide.

Disarmed populations are easier to Genocide,  which is why genocides are always preceeded by disarming the people.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pookiki said:

I saw several news accounts that the Korat shooter purchased three weapons through the 'Army welfare program'.  Is there a limit on the number of weapons that can be purchased under the program? What, if anything, prevents these weapons being sold on the 'black' or 'gray' market'?

Based on what I have 'heard' but with no personal experience, I was always under the impression that if you had enough money, getting a gun in Thailand wasn't a problem. 

I would also be curious to know if carrying a weapon in Thailand is legal and whether the Thai government issues permits to gun holders.

There is no concealed carry in Thailand. Only for home protection or sport shooting at the range. Even Thai need 3" of paperwork and 6+ months to obtain a firearm. It's not "easy"(not counting black market)

So Thailand has a big problem with legal and illigal fire arms in thais hand and sure the law, only in thsi arm seeing weappons wont help to face a very very big problem.

You don't have to point to USA. Better you clean up your own mess first. If i see how easy fire arms are used in thai society this country is in big trouble and you can get soooo very easy fire arms!!

2 hours ago, deesquared said:

What does gun rights have anything to do with a soldier rading an armory? If anything gun rights could have helped this situation. We've seen this time and time again in the US when a private citizen stops a shooting with their own weapon. 

"time and again" so it's happened twice now?   Kidding aside, as an American I am amazed how rarely private citizens manage to stop crime with their guns, especially concealed carry guns.  Anyone have any stats on the subject?   I'm genuinely curious. 

2 hours ago, MickGC said:

GREAT! So how many of those countries that you referenced have large Black populations like that of the United States? And how many of them have a common land border with a violent Third World nation like Mexico? Mind you, African Americans only make up 13% percent of the U.S. population but they commit over 50% of all homicides.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

More people are shot to death in the United States each year, but there are 6 times more people there. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Thai journalism is as bad as anywhere in the world. Just as well someone fact checks stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

Assuming you're white, then you're probably just as well off in the US.  Most homicides there are committed by blacks and the vast majority of their victims are also blacks.  Remove blacks from the homicide figures and you get something more resembling western European countries.

There are an awful lot of lower class white people in the US, who are very scary people and capable of nearly anything. It seems like a high percentage of the mass killings are perpetuated by them. 

• Like 2