Thailand and guns: Media mentions thousands of deaths from gun violence - but the USA is worse

webfact

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There are an awful lot of lower class white people in the US, who are very scary people and capable of nearly anything. It seems like a high percentage of the mass killings are perpetuated by them. 

Compare the number of mass shootings in the USA against the population.

Better odds to get struck by lightning.

Some 20+ years ago,   following a break-in  at my Jomtien home, I was offerred a gun by a policeman for 6,000baht. I declined. He told me it was OK to shoot anyone trying to enter my home illegally, but to be on the safe side, should it happen, to state that my wife fired the shot!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, deesquared said:

What does gun rights have anything to do with a soldier rading an armory? If anything gun rights could have helped this situation. We've seen this time and time again in the US when a private citizen stops a shooting with their own weapon. 

I don't think it happens that often. What are the statistics?

America 3 1/2 times the size of Thailand in terms of population,.therefor there will be more gun crimes ! It’s also written into there constitution ( personally don’t believe you should be able to carry a gun ) however i do believe you should have a gun ( kept on property only ) to protect your family against those who want to harm you...... clearly gun crime worse in America “. Thailand now have the opportunity to change the laws after the recent gun killings which left 26 dead in Korat ! Common sense must prevail over stupidity 

29 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

America 3 1/2 times the size of Thailand in terms of population,.therefor there will be more gun crimes ! It’s also written into there constitution ( personally don’t believe you should be able to carry a gun ) however i do believe you should have a gun ( kept on property only ) to protect your family against those who want to harm you...... clearly gun crime worse in America “. Thailand now have the opportunity to change the laws after the recent gun killings which left 26 dead in Korat ! Common sense must prevail over stupidity 

The british and the Nazis and the Bolshevik/Communists didn't either.

How does that logic work?   It is ok to have a gun at home,  but not to carry?  What do you do if you need it when you are away from home?  

Criminals do not follow the laws.  So they will still be armed regardless of any legislative measures taken to restrict access. 

It is flawed logic,  It is akin to the notion that if you got rid of the Navy,  High seas piracy would stop.

If you pull all your teeth,  then you won't have tooth problems.

Edited by samuttodd

7 hours ago, bkkatl said:

35% of U.S. mass shooters (lone, male, 18-59) are veterans, whereas 14.76% of the general population (male, 18-59) are veterans. A mass shooter is 2.37 times more likely to be a veteran than a random person is. - The Foreign Policy Journal

Of course veterans are not all mass shifters waiting to explode.

So the US should be involved in less wars and military actions. This means less veterans what also perhaps means less mass shootings. 

• Like 1

Yeah because Thailand is known for its reliable statistics, everything to have a good image..

Does thailand/thai police actively and engaging in doing crime statistics and reportings? Police is responsible for crime statistics.. we know how lazy and underfunded they are.

Also in thai news 2 paramilitary defence troops shot dead and 1 guard injured in shooting in songkhla, the trio was harassing a massage shop during closed time, and harrassed the girls to come drink with them and threatened owner to close the massage shop for good,they decided to sit down on restaurant next door before being shot.

5 hours ago, featography said:

And if we removed the 5 cities that have the strictest gun control laws, which also carries the highest rate of gun deaths, the rest of the US would be one of the safest countries to be in, in spite of owning more guns than any other country. 

Ha! Yes, I have read this several times. We all know it is because so many Americans own guns that the government nor foreign nations cannot take over. For those who do not know me ... said “tongue in cheek “.

5 hours ago, featography said:

And if we removed the 5 cities that have the strictest gun control laws, which also carries the highest rate of gun deaths, the rest of the US would be one of the safest countries to be in, in spite of owning more guns than any other country. 

Might we observe were the U.S. mass shootings took place. Were they in these cities you cite?

You want to hear something really Crazy?   When a customer is declined a sale because of the 4473 being rejected by the ATF for prior felonies,   the police never followed up on it.  

The customer didn't get to buy the gun from the store, but no legal action was taken against them. 

Happened nearly every day.

They were attempting to commit a felony.

Edited by samuttodd

Posts containing unattributed content have been removed as well as the replies.  Please include a link to the source of information when posting:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

An off topic post about the Corona virus and the replies have been removed.

I was going to start a new topic, one question can the thai government take down a vid on 'LINE' ? i am now watching a vid of a Thai lady living in England, ranting about Prayut and the Army, and the shootings in Korat, WOW ! this lady is giving it some deep sH@t. putting the blame squarely where it belongs. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, janetdoe said:

I would own a gun for self defence if the law hadn't changed in 2017. I meet the criteria for legally owning a gun apart from not being Thai. I still want to defend myself if the case arises. I've felt this way after being physically threaten a few months ago. I'm not pro-gun but if the Thai man in the street can legally own one for protection I'd like to too.

Get a sports bow. Most shooters with a handgun will not have the know-how nor keep their cool well enough to aim properly, and a sports bow is not illegal. Hone your skills with one of those, and I'd favor you over some lunatic with a handgun. Besides, they're silent and no-one can see a flash.

7 hours ago, deesquared said:

What does gun rights have anything to do with a soldier rading an armory? If anything gun rights could have helped this situation. We've seen this time and time again in the US when a private citizen stops a shooting with their own weapon. 

Really? Wow! Time and time again a private citizen whips out a  concealed  or  legal open carry weapon and saves the day ? By shooting  dead someone? Yeeha  the NRA !.

But  can you please  provide links to  the time and time  again incidences?

I would like to  understand the differences involved  in statistical  deaths  by gunshot that are not inflicted by over  zealous law enforcement  or true  accidental . The raw figures are not helpful.

This  tragic incident in Korat falls outside of the usual criteria of  mass murder basically because the weapons  were  not community"based either legal or  not legal. As such it is a wake up  call  for Thai Military authorities but can it be said that it could  not  occur  or has not occurred anywhere else ?

Gun rights ? To be honest I would prefer that the generally inhibited presentation of  fire arms due to illegal possession makes it safer than a community of insecure people carrying " legal" weapons.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is NOT among the top 25 countries in the world in terms of legal firearms ownership per capita.

But they conceded that Thailand has problems with a "thriving" grey and black market in guns.

Ergo why the media was saying Thailand has some of the highest gun ownership in the world

10 hours ago, deesquared said:

No point in debating that particular issue , its been done to death ( no pun intended) and those with firm views rarely accept inconvenient facts that contradict them.

What Thailand does show without any question is that a heavily armed populace is no defence whatsoever against a military backed government.

It rather puts to bed the oft repeated , clearly spurious , US constitutional claim re ' militias '.

• Like 1