What’s the name of this Thai dish?

Nemises

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

what's the big deal? thai gaengs (curries) are usually made from red curry paste with coconut milk hence the characteristic color

If you don't know what you're talking about, why do you bother to post?

There's an enormous range of different curry pastes, each specific to the curry concerned.

And only some curries include coconut milk.  Many - perhaps most - don't.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

If you don't know what you're talking about, why do you bother to post?

There's an enormous range of different curry pastes, each specific to the curry concerned.

And only some curries include coconut milk.  Many - perhaps most - don't.

hey, relax...I only know what I see at the local market and maybe the folks at my house ain't got much imagination and prepare curries in the same way...

sphaghetti bolognaise is usually prepared to the chef's taste and there are many variations including the 'garden variety'...ground up lemon grass is a popular ingredient in curries, the MiL grows it on the front terrace...

On 2/14/2020 at 10:53 AM, Husain Tula said:

It is ,as Steven100 said, it could be Penang Muu (Poorly prepared)images.jpg.15b4ad0baef88245f811f191b1f614c8.jpg

Yes, the OP's dish looks like a panaeng to me, maybe beef.

Panaeng's vary in color and the one in @Husain Tula's post is lighter colored as it has more coconut milk in a more liquid broth than the OP's darker one which has less coconut milk and is more like a thicker gravy or sauce.

Many thanks to those who tried to help me identify that meal. 

I’m presently living alone rurally, where no one speaks English and I do not speak Thai. 

My kind Thai friends here sometimes give me gifts of food and it’s on TVF that I’m seeking assistance to identify what it is I’m given, as I have no other way of doing so. 

Here’s a pic of what I was given today. It tasted really bad and will (discreetly) hit the bin soon. Am interested in knowing what this stuff is before ‘filing’ in the bin. The contents of the packages tasted spicy. 

Thanks again Team TVF. 

ED808E79-4817-499F-872F-45A925888762.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Trust me I'm Thai.

The curry dish you posted earlier is pork 'Panaeng' (พะแนง). It is one of the most famous Thai curries. Unlike red or green curry, Panaeng sauce is simmered and reduced, and of course, the herbs/spices that is used are different. It is mostly made with pork, but there are variations with beef or chicken as well.  The small green thing is a local eggplant, but when we live abroad we use green peas as substitute. The dish in the photo is missing one very important ingredient and garnish, i.e. kaffir lime leaves. 

The curved brown thing in the second photo is pickled unripe sour tamarind fruit. The thing in the package is salt and dried chili for dipping it. There are ripe sweet tamarind fruit as well that doesn't need to be pickled. The ripe sour tamarind is used for seasoning savory dishes, sometimes also to substitute lemon or lime.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...