Crossing into Laos and Myanmar same day

I am 47 and my traveling companion is 65. We are both traveling with USA passports. We are taking a motorcycle trip from Chiang Mai ->Nan->Mae Sai->Chiang Rai->back to CM. We were chatting with someone who did a similar trip and had breakfast in one country, lunch in another then dinner in the third and this sounds like fun to us.

Here's the reason for my post: I just extended my visa, my friend will need to extend his visa. Neither of us has had a land crossing in the last 2 years. What are the effects/costs of doing this. The bikes are rented from Pop motorcycle rentals in CM. I am not anticipating taking them across the borders. We will be leaving in 2 days, so applying for a visa I don't think is possible. If we had heard about this earlier we would have planned better. Has anyone on here done this before?? Thank you for all your help.

Lupulin

If you have long term extensions of stay, re-entry permits will be necessary. If planning several border crossings during the trip, it had better be a multiple re-entry permit (3,800 baht from your immigration office, not available at the border). You are going to burn quite a few passport pages in the process.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lupulin said:

Thanks BritTim. Looks like we'll have to plan better and try next time!

Probably best. If still keen on the idea, you could find a full service immigration office not too far from the border, and see if they will issue re-entry permits for long stay extensions. While most offices will not (you must use the office that issued the extension) offices close to border crossings will sometimes oblige.

My understanding of your post may be wrong but it looks to me that you are going to cross from Thailand into Laos then ride around and cross from Laos into Myanmar and ride around there then cross back from Myanmar to Thailand. If that is correct then what you need is a single entry re-entry permit, a Laos tourist visa and a Myanmar tourist visa. My suggestion would be to arrange all your documents before you go, get your re-entry permit from your local immigration office, get your tourist visa from the Myanmar Consulate in Chang Mai, but on checking there is no Laos Consulate in Chang Mai. The closest Laos Consulate for you is in Khon Kaen, so you may have to get your Laos visa at the border crossing.

Edited by Russell17au
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Ignore the above post by Russell. totally wrong info...

You can enter laos an get a visa on arrival, $35, (can take the bike if you have a note from the rental company giving you permission),  if entering Burma at Mae Sai you can get a day pass for $10, (cant take the bike) otherwise ur need a visa ( get it online) if ur planning on staying the night.( $50)

You can NOT enter Burma from Laos

No idea what extension ur talking about, but ur going to need 2 re entry permits and you can ONLY get 1 at a time, so better getting a multiple re entry for 3,800

enjoy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Ignore the above post by Russell. totally wrong info...

You can enter laos an get a visa on arrival, $35, (can take the bike if you have a note from the rental company giving you permission),  if entering Burma at Mae Sai you can get a day pass for $10, (cant take the bike) otherwise ur need a visa ( get it online) if ur planning on staying the night.( $50)

You can NOT enter Burma from Laos

No idea what extension ur talking about, but ur going to need 2 re entry permits and you can ONLY get 1 at a time, so better getting a multiple re entry for 3,800

enjoy

For USD 10 you can actually stay up to 14 days.

not sure what you mean with $50 for staying overnight.

The $ 10 fee is also good for an overnight stay, I have done it.

You just need to tell them when you want to go back, so that they can arrange accordingly