I flew in from europe yesterday and I got problems again

15 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Women and younger officers feel like they have something to prove. Old men are just marking time. You want the guy marking time when it comes to stamping your passport.

For years and years I always selected female IOs as I believed they were more conscientious and efficient. I felt the males needed to show who was boss a little.

Times have changed.

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

For years and years I always selected female IOs as I believed they were more conscientious and efficient. I felt the males needed to show who was boss a little.

Times have changed.

More reports of dodgy female IOs so best avoided if possible, sometimes you can't. i went to an older male IO queue, as i got to the front a female matron type took over....i was expecting the worse but she was good as gold

Edited by scubascuba3

37 minutes ago, steve187 said:

well i don't think that hate us, hates a bit strong, maybe more of a dislike

Maybe more like jealousy.  Similar to how the Europeans are jealous of the American technology companies.

Avoiding bulldykes is one of my top rules for avoiding stress.  The maesai IO lady, who checks you before you leave, is smart and pretty, with a classic Thai smile.  

I got hit with a thousand questions at the tax office a few weeks ago..ended up with the phone number of a 31 year old accountant..turns out she still lives with her parents...would probably be cheaper to go to Soi 4.

Edited by moontang
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, rastlin said:

I had thought the rule was you were allowed up to 180 days in a year on either tourist visas or the 30 day permissions to stay granted on arrival in the airport.  I had thought the rule was if you were staying in Thailand less than 6 months in any given year you were a "tourist".  But honestly I am not sure this is really the rule.  And if it is not the rule what exactly is the rule?

There is no rule stating how long you can stay in any period of time. The used to be such a rule, that became effective on 1 October 2006. It as repealed on 25 November 2008.

(And that rule only applied to visa-on-arrival countries.)

Edited by judokrab

0P said the IO told him owning a condo is illegal 

How can that be true if an investment visa can be obtained by buying a CONDO over 10 million baht?!

He got caught our right there!! 

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, moontang said:

Maybe more like jealousy. 

This is a better descripton than no like according to my experience in about 15 years.

My Thai is quite reasonable and I understand more than Thais usally expect.

As I learend how Thais look at you (exept some xenophobics and IOs) is much related to your behavior.

And frankly: When you experienced the look and behavior of many farang over long years you cannot be too surprised if there are resentiments by the locals.

I still meet much more polite Thais than farang-haters.

In all those years no issue ever at the immigration office. Neither at the airports but that could be a result of busines class and fast lane.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

0P said the IO told him owning a condo is illegal 

How can that be true if an investment visa can be obtained by buying a CONDO over 10 million baht?!

He got caught our right there!! 

That's not true as we all know. The IO was a moron knowing nothing about. If you have such an idiot in the cage in front of you, stay relaxed and smile. It# not worth.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm wondering why anyone would come in as a tourist and mention a girlfriend and plans to buy a condo to the IO. 

Both of those statements trigger red flags to suggest the guy may be planning more than a casual stay.

Nothing wrong with obtaining a holiday home and millions do it around the world. 

IO are more concerned about younger men working illegally or old guys trying to avoid the 800k and ducking and weaving and scamming the visa system 

1 minute ago, madmen said:

Nothing wrong with obtaining a holiday home and millions do it around the world. 

IO are more concerned about younger men working illegally or old guys trying to avoid the 800k and ducking and weaving and scamming the visa system 

There's nothing wrong with it.   But it can trigger extra scrutiny.  They did let the OP in...

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have to admit that in all of my years coming to Thailand since 2005, never had an issue with an immigration officer, smile, Sawadee Krup, Sabai Dee Mi, they lift their heads, smile and some even have a conversation with me in English, because my Thai is limited.

The above said, I do the same when entering my home country, when called to approach, Gooday, how's it going, head lifts, smiles and conversation starts.

I worked in the public for all of my years, it's all about approach in my opinion and being at the front line can be challenging at times, a little recognition and common courtesy goes a long way, and the day I get a cranky immigration officer will be the day I will find that to be my biggest challenge, albeit I would probably leave him be, step back, let him have his moment, because when someone throws a hot ball at me, I usually catch it and drop it as if to say, I am not playing your game, and smile.

why would you bother talking to imm in your own country. They cant refuse u. Give passport, take it and go.

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

That's not true as we all know. The IO was a moron knowing nothing about. If you have such an idiot in the cage in front of you, stay relaxed and smile. It# not worth.

Nonsense tens of thousands are admitted on investment visas. How could the IO not now about when the visa is in the PASSPORT.? 

OP got tripped up in his story 

7 hours ago, rastlin said:

That is what upset me too when I was questioned.  It was not the fact the lady was asking me questions, it was she was so obviously angry.  It really did bother me even though I was stamped in.  

I have been questioned by immigration when travelling into the U.S.  And while such situations are never fun, the fellow that questioned me was polite, not angry and very professional.  

Ask any Asian single female who has been similarly questioned while entering UK, USA, Australia etc on a tourist visa, most would have felt ashamed or dejected. Most single males entering Thailand would not have a problem if they are short stay tourists. Only those having girlfriends, condos and staying long time but still claiming to be tourists are harrased.

Edited by saakura
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Nonsense tens of thousands are admitted on investment visas. How could the IO not now about when the visa is in the PASSPORT.? 

OP got tripped up in his story 

3 hours ago, madmen said:

How can hear what the IO is saying when the person in front is 15 feet away and your behind the red line IOS don't "shout" that is not the THAI way 

People tend to stretch the truth for effect 

OP repeatedly says " I was dragged away by IOs" 

Just total BSr but great for extra effect. He would have been asked to step aside 

5 pages of rage about a guy who got stamped in lol

Only on TV wonderland 

rubbish. I have heard them ask in both my line and the line next to me. Thats when i got my hotel booking printout ready.

35 minutes ago, Sujo said:

why would you bother talking to imm in your own country. They cant refuse u. Give passport, take it and go.

They can't refuse you.  But if you don't answer their questions, they can snap on the latex...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sujo said:

rubbish. I have heard them ask in both my line and the line next to me. Thats when i got my hotel booking printout ready.

Bionic hearing. Lol

I can barley hear the IO in front of me and my hearing is perfect 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

Those IOs who process these extensions, on the other hand, quite literally dole them out like candy (at 1900 baht a pop), hardly ever seems anyone to be questioned or denied by them. They don't seem to have the same rule book.

I believe they're not allowed to simply say no to an extension of stay request that is in order.