I flew in from europe yesterday and I got problems again

To the OP:

Your recent history raises no red flags. However, Immigration's system has a long memory. Did you in the distant past ever have a long overstay and/or several overstays? That would explain being passed from the regular immigration counter to the inquisition, and their strenuous attempts to find a good reason to deny you entry. If my hunch is correct, this issue is going to dog you continually going forward.

As someone else suggested, you may need to be selective about where you enter in future. With a visa, you can consider airports like Chiang Mai and U-Tapao. If seeking visa exempt entry, use land crossings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I believe they're not allowed to simply say no to an extension of stay request that is in order.

The rules state that all extensions are at the discretion of the immigration officer. As a practical matter, they do not deny extensions unless they think it can lead to some benefit to themselves (such as pushing you towards agent assisted extensions where they take a cut). They are not under instructions to aggressively screen extensions to tourist entries, so they do not. They just do what is easiest.

9 hours ago, madmen said:
9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines would all like you to visit, and your gf would get a 90 day VISA free of charge.

Why Thailand? They hate us.

Because those countries never ask questions, just a big hug and instant stamp. Your in dream world 

When entering those countries, I must make  habit of choosing lines with young, attractive female IOs!

Seriously, as far as Cambodia and Philippines are concerned, I have never received a hug, and the stamp is not instant (they need a few seconds to find an appropriate page in the passport) but otherwise (as with Thailand many years ago) you are stamped in automatically without any questioning.

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

When entering those countries, I must make  habit of choosing lines with young, attractive female IOs!

Seriously, as far as Cambodia and Philippines are concerned, I have never received a hug, and the stamp is not instant (they need a few seconds to find an appropriate page in the passport) but otherwise (as with Thailand many years ago) you are stamped in automatically without any questioning.

Where do you live? Thailand right. Try making non stop back to back visa entries year after year and you will get question in cambo where pedophiles and drug running is rampant

10 hours ago, parafareno said:

i see falang being treated now very harsh....9 years ago when I was a frequent traveler here, falang was treated very nice......with nothing to complain at all.....

They were treated nice then but now they have Chinese and Indian tourists to fill up their coffers with foreign currency.

10 hours ago, parafareno said:

yes he mentioned thai elite...but is is 500000 BHT for 5 years.....I would do this over my dead body.....it seems like no money no homey rule always works

How many years took it to learn that?

11 hours ago, parafareno said:

yes he mentioned thai elite...but is is 500000 BHT for 5 years.....I would do this over my dead body.....it seems like no money no homey rule always works

You definitely don't get any issues at all with the Thailand Elite visa. You're getting the service that you pay for here.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm wondering why anyone would come in as a tourist and mention a girlfriend and plans to buy a condo to the IO. 

Both of those statements trigger red flags to suggest the guy may be planning more than a casual stay.

Why? Just because it involves a long-haul flight to get to LOS? Even though it would be a terrible idea to invest now in a condo. What`s the problem? I know 2 guys below 50 who own a condo in BKK, work in Germany and fly 5-6 times per year to LOS on exempts for 10-14 days to visit their gf`s. Their lifestyle is their own private thing and shouldn`t be judged by any clown IO. 

They also technically don`t need a visa by law...so why should they loose 2 valuable days per year to run to the embassy to apply for a METV.

IMO...every IO making problems to such guys is a simple id***! And problems also include ridiculous grilling- session like the OP experienced. 

So many Japanese, Koreans etc own condos in BKK, visit LOS frequently while working in their home countries, have gf`s in LOS..so they are 100% tourists. So, apart from the longer flight, it`s the same for westerners.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

hat what you get when you spend most of your working life pretending that you are smarter than is actual.

I think he is smarter than you. You have to travel 10000 miles for medical treatment in a developing country which most probably you could get in your own country using tax payers money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Where do you live? Thailand right. Try making non stop back to back visa entries year after year and you will get question in cambo where pedophiles and drug running is rampant

I have a couple of friends who have lived in Cambodia for several years. Neither is a paedophile. Indeed, one is past the age where he could do anything about it if he was. Neither has, so far, had any issues entering the country.

35 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

Why? Just because it involves a long-haul flight to get to LOS? Even though it would be a terrible idea to invest now in a condo. What`s the problem? I know 2 guys below 50 who own a condo in BKK, work in Germany and fly 5-6 times per year to LOS on exempts for 10-14 days to visit their gf`s. Their lifestyle is their own private thing and shouldn`t be judged by any clown IO. 

They also technically don`t need a visa by law...so why should they loose 2 valuable days per year to run to the embassy to apply for a METV.

IMO...every IO making problems to such guys is a simple id***! And problems also include ridiculous grilling- session like the OP experienced. 

So many Japanese, Koreans etc own condos in BKK, visit LOS frequently while working in their home countries, have gf`s in LOS..so they are 100% tourists. So, apart from the longer flight, it`s the same for westerners.

You're confusing the way things should be with the way they are.

12 hours ago, parafareno said:

Why I stay so long...that other tourists only stay 1 week

If she really did say that, then you should get a name and send in a complaint to some offices, an open letter to Immigration, TAT, etc.  Putting policies and procedures in place that are challenging to visitors or expats is one thing, but if immigration is now saying they object to tourists staying more than one week, well, somebody should get yelled at.   Never mind the 30 day visa exempt designed to encourage tourists, or the SETV tourist visa which starts at 60 days length of stay by default, never mind the long travel times and why a person would not want just a one week visit, etc.

Edited by gk10002000

I have a few questions if that's ok, just to picture the scene a little bit better to try to understand and take into account for next time.

what nationality in europe ? top 5 EU countries or bottom of the list ?

what did you looked like when you crossed ? where you shaved or with 3 days beard ? dreadlocks ? lot's of tattoos ? Piercing ?

arabic/muslim name maybe ?

Do you remember at what point exactly did she got triggered ? did you notice anything when she was checking your passport ?

what's your history from many years ago ? any overstays ?

if I were you I wouldn't mention a "girlfriend" to an angry female IO, this likely won't up her mood as she will associate that with prostitution and such.

you only have to say you are visiting and going to the beach/snorkeling, anything else is just begging for more annoying questions.

understand that the little game of questioning is only here to come up with more questions and find something to catch you and deny you entry, so the less you give them the better. and always have a narrative for after your stay when you leave.

if anything, just a young guy travelling and not working is enough to raise a flag and start the screening if you don't look wealthy, the primary role of immigration everywhere in the world is to prevent people to get in to work illegally and overstay.

I got pulled like you once and her tone changed finally after I showed a bank statement with much more money that I would need for my stay, after that she was just looking for a reason to stamp me without losing faces.

take this as an experience, next time you know what to expect and what to say and show.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Calling the girlfriend is seriously too much.

And saying buying a condo is illegal is completly stupid.

What's wrong with them?

But that`s exactly what they do! And not just that. They check every detail you told them before to verify that it`s the truth.

In my case the female IO even told my gf, if she knew that i`ve stayed in LOS before I met her and that she should be careful, as I look like a playboy. My gf didn`t even react to that provocation and just ignored it. If I read that on FTV I would say this is just a joke and impossible. Sadly it`s not!!! 

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

If she really did say that, then you should get a name and send in a complaint to some offices, an open letter to Immigration, TAT, etc.  Putting policies and procedures in place that are challenging to visitors or expats is one thing, but if immigration is now saying they object to tourists staying more than one week, well, somebody should get yelled at.   Never mind the 30 day visa exempt designed to encourage tourists, or the SETV tourist visa which starts at 60 days length of stay by default, never mind the long travel times and why a person would not want just a one week visit, etc.

Once you establish the principle that Immigration Officials can set their own rules on what constitutes desirable and undesirable tourists, language students, etc., there is no such thing as an unacceptable grilling, or even denial of entry. A seven-day limit for tourists with tattoos is just as valid as a 180-day maximum or anything else that takes their fancy. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

But that`s exactly what they do! And not just that. They check every detail you told them before to verify that it`s the truth.

In my case the female IO even told my gf, if she knew that i`ve stayed in LOS before I met her and that she should be careful, as I look like a playboy. My gf didn`t even react to that provocation and just ignored it. If I read that on FTV I would say this is just a joke and impossible. Sadly it`s not!!! 

That is truly horrible, I am pretty good at keeping my cool, but if I overheard something like that, my patience would be sorely tried.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

You might be better off keeping quiet about buying condos and having Thai girlfriends.

IOs are Thai men and women.

Thai men are not going to take kindly to your having it off with a Thai woman and neither the men nor the women are going to be happy about your buying property which they can't afford and putting those property prices up at the same time.

We don't like rich foreigners putting up house prices in London so why should Thai people be any different.

Best not to mention girl friends or condos next time. If you're allowed a next time.

you don't seem to know about condo thai quota and foreign quota

• Like 2

14 hours ago, parafareno said:

even though I showed him money, ticket back...he still was not happy....he had to call my igirlfriend and interrogate her for 10 - 15 minutes...stressful for her and stressful for me... I felt like I was the worse kind of criminal.......I really wanted to just say to him keep the visa......and he also said what if thai come to my country...how does immigration treat them? ANd then you see hudreds of people going through immigration with no problem.....I wrote only the truth on arrival card....I will stay 63 or 64 days....when I go back....what I do here....etc....and the angry lady raised her voice...like how dare I come back here as a tourist.....I think they want to push for elite...so they get money......feels like being targeted....same first time I came last year....questioned at the check in why I stay so long....and you see all other peolple arrive with no questioning only me......how it will be next time.....seems like something is really weird and I will be declined next time if I dont dish out moneyz for elite visa.....maybe the lady meant in her head why would I buy condo, buy elite visa for 1 million better.....I think this is the logic.....

Why did you put 63/64 days on the arrival card if your tourist visa was only valid for 60 days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Thai men are not going to take kindly to your having it off with a Thai woman and neither the men nor the women are going to be happy about your buying property which they can't afford and putting those property prices up at the same time.

Nobody cares what they think. If they can't afford a condo then maybe they should get a better job.

You're allowed to buy whatever you want, that's the law. If the Thais don't like it then that's just tough luck.

Wealthy Thais buy whatever they want (houses, apartments, land, etc) without restriction all over the world, some locals don't like it - do you think the Thais care what the locals thing? Of course they don't, because what they're doing is legal and that's all that matters.

Edited by ukrules

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

30 day extensions are normal

Yes but when you arrived at IO they look how long your visa is valid for and check that the number of days on your arrival card  do not exceed the number of days that the visa is valid for

And OP was never heard from again ?  We really need more information about why he was almost denied.  

1. What is your nationality ?  Do you live in the EU?

2. 9 years ago , did you overstay in the past ? Have you ever worked here ? 

3. Did they really call your girlfriend?  What if you did not have a girlfriend ?  

4. How old are you?  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, murikamba said:

Indian tourists that come to Thailand with their spouses and children from their native countries

The Indians frequently come in large all male groups, seen then in the hotels attending some company get together. 

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Yes but when you arrived at IO they look how long your visa is valid for and check that the number of days on your arrival card  do not exceed the number of days that the visa is valid for

i used to always write down 3 months +, not once did i get questioned. It's not normal for the IO to focus on that field

Edited by scubascuba3