I flew in from europe yesterday and I got problems again

6 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

over a period of time are so kind and caring and friendly.

Being 20 years here, it is my experience that most of them are acting this way for a reason.

But than it is possible that I mostly met the wrong people.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Being 20 years here, it is my experience that most of them are acting this way for a reason.

But than it is possible that I mostly met the wrong people.

Please do elaborate....  because I'm not talking about stinking, dirty tourist areas like Pattaya and Phuket, I'm talking about in real local areas where thney just want to have a conversation with me and learn about my culture and views on this life  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

So for you it's normal he had to call his gf?What if he didn't have a gf?If he want a beach vacation only then what?They should clarify their rules and stop bothering tourists.Right now they should be happy for every tourist what comes here.

Exactly, if only allowed 1 tourist visa per year, then okay, fine, make that an official rule. It really is that simple! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, madmen said:

Wow if getting stamped in has created this much drama for you, I would hate to see how you would behave if you actually were rejected lol

Yes this is drama,he has a visa,he has money,he said he doesn't work here.Finished.Everything else is harassment.Or why immigration website can't clarify what they need and wanT.If you enjoy to get harassed by those grumpy .... then that is fine ,but it shouldn't be the normal thing.Besides that,right now they should say thanks to everybody who arrives right now.Maybe by any chance you noticed the decrease in tourists at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, parafareno said:

i see falang being treated now very harsh....9 years ago when I was a frequent traveler here, falang was treated very nice......with nothing to complain at all.....

They are under pressure from their relatively new boss, and were from his immediate predecessor. 

They have much publicized campaigns to catch overstayers - with their biometrics, smart cars and "new" super duper hitec approach. 

Similarly they like to show how they've clamped down on visa misuse, and people entering too often on the wrong sort of visas or coming on tourist visas intending to work etc.

Unfortunately, in this culture, that sort of pressure, to do the job correctly and proactively, drives this theatrical "must be seen to be nasty and stern" and very nit picky attitude. 

Everyone here fears displeasing their boss and so act in a way they think their boss expects them to act.

All of this means problems for the foreigners and not just the bad ones. But that's not something they particularly care about.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

The rules state that all extensions are at the discretion of the immigration officer. As a practical matter, they do not deny extensions unless they think it can lead to some benefit to themselves (such as pushing you towards agent assisted extensions where they take a cut). They are not under instructions to aggressively screen extensions to tourist entries, so they do not. They just do what is easiest.

"Discretion of the io",that's exactly the problem with Thai immigration,the whole country is like that,never a clear yes or no,but 1000 maybes

21 hours ago, parafareno said:

I felt sick in my stomach...I spend so much money here and it is not good for them......he said that buying a condo is ILLEGAL to my girlfriend....so what is this all about.....how can it be <deleted> illegal to buy a condo? It is a legit purchase....why is it illegal for the immigration lady?

So, did they let you into the country afterwards?

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If they have a problem with VISA misuse, shouldn't they be clamping down on the places selling the VISAs?

Which places selling visas? That is an outright fraud. It will result in arrest not a entry denial.

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How could you displease your boss? They had a VISA, so I stamped them in. Job done.

Nope, job is not done. Did you verify that he did not get his valid visa lying, cheating, or other nefarious ways? Did you verify his real reason for living in Thailand on a tourist visa. DId you determine why he frequently coming to Thailand and staying for two months or 3 months at a time. There are so many questions IOs need to find out and eventually deny  entry based on their only available criteria which in most cases is not sufficient money.

Edited by murikamba
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Op was unlucky i was using tourist visas for years without 1 question, lucky I'm 50 now....I agree that buying a condo is a mistake if under 50 plus until the uncertainty over health insurance requirements in the future is gone.

I do wonder why the Op was targeted, did they profile you?

Wonder what the OP's nationality was. He said he flew from Europe but doesn't mean he was a European or a caucasian.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, murikamba said:

Which places selling visas? That is an outright fraud. It will result in arrest not a entry denial.

Unfortunately a number of people believe the application fee they pay when applying for a visa = a purchase price. They don't seem to realise that if you are denied a visa you don't get a refund

When people are acting angry I usually ask them, “Are you angry with me?” This usually shocks them into realizing how obnoxious they are being, and many times the attitude changes. Mainly they are having a bad day. I think he should have asked for a supervisor and pointed out he was coming into the country as a tourist and the IO is very angry and rude to him.....what is going on? And tell them this doesn’t happen in other countries. Interesting to see if there is any response. I can only take so much of their bullsh@( and would end up saying Shove It and get a flight to Vietnam.

12 hours ago, madmen said:

Nothing wrong with obtaining a holiday home and millions do it around the world. 

IO are more concerned about younger men working illegally or old guys trying to avoid the 800k and ducking and weaving and scamming the visa system 

So you mean they are concerned about any male over the age of 18. If they are still a male kid under 18 or a female then the IO's aren't really concerned???

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Maybe3 it is not normal, but why did the OP tell them more than he needed to? No use to try smalltalking IOs.

"Why you come Thailand / Whay want stay so long?"

Answer: "holidays".

Well some guys maybe get nervous,I'm on non O  since 20 years,but still don't feel to comfortable dealing with those grumps

21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

So Immigration questioned you, as is their privilege, then stamped you in.  So the problem is what, exactly?

Up to you, if going so far as calling the girlfriend is OK? 
They did not question him they bullied him if you cannot see the difference!????

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

As someone else suggested, you may need to be selective about where you enter in future. With a visa, you can consider airports like Chiang Mai and U-Tapao. If seeking visa exempt entry, use land crossings.

Whats wrong with going to a land border with an SETV or METV? 

16 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I also experienced a very abrupt middle aged lady Immigration Officer whilst crossing back over land from Poi-Pet (Cambodia) to Aranyaprathet (Thailand). I have a one year Non O Retirement visa and a one year multiple re-entry permit. On inspecting my passport, she stated I have two recent land crossings from Cambodia back into Thailand and no more were allowed. I was told in no uncertain terms that my next crossing back into Thailand must be by AIR. I did not argue as I was returning from inspecting my new apartment in Siem Reap in which I take up residence tomorrow. Bye Bye Thailand after nearly 20 years.

Correct. I live and work in malaysia. Last year i went by land to dannok in january and april. 4 days each time. Went again in october and refused as they only allow 2 xings per calendar year.

I understand why they did it that way but it wasnt put in place for people like me that do short visits, its for people that stay in thailand.

IO only seems to have discretion to refuse, not to allow. I havent been back since, now do my holiday time to vietnam and philippines 4 times a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1