Marriage Extension: Home Visit

Hello guys,

immigration comes tomorrow to visit me for the process of marriage extension. How does it work? Do you have any recommendations for me?

The officer on the phone told me to get them some coffee and money ???? because they come from far away... was he joking maybe?

Thank you for the help!

• Haha 2

Just to say, I had my first and only home visit last year.

The guy was polite, he completed some papers on my dining room table, chatted to the wife, took some photos with me sitting there with my passport on my chest - then the thing that I thought was an imposition, go upstairs and take pics of myself and wife in my bedroom, he made some unnecessary comments about our storage situation.

On his way out he saw boxes of second hand clothes, and advised my wife that I could help with her weekend market stall, which I have nothing to do with anyway.

He went outside, looked at the neighbours houses, decided it was a waste of time to try and raise anyone (they were hiding inside after watching the white POLICE car roll up) - then drove off.

No money involved, didn't even want a bottle of water.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Just to say, I had my first and only home visit last year.

The guy was polite, he completed some papers on my dining room table, chatted to the wife, took some photos with me sitting there with my passport on my chest - then the thing that I thought was an imposition, go upstairs and take pics of myself and wife in my bedroom, he made some unnecessary comments about our storage situation.

On his way out he saw boxes of second hand clothes, and advised my wife that I could help with her weekend market stall, which I have nothing to do with anyway.

He went outside, looked at the neighbours houses, decided it was a waste of time to try and raise anyone (they were hiding inside after watching the white POLICE car roll up) - then drove off.

No money involved, didn't even want a bottle of water.

Yeah maybe it was a trap, he wanted to see if you replied with something like 'I already help' or something... 

What do you mean with storage situation? 

Unfortunately the guy on the phone clearly told me to give them coffee (no problem I make my own) and some compensation because they come from far away... geez

27 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

The officer on the phone told me to get them some coffee and money ???? because they come from far away... was he joking maybe?

Probably not. Well possible that they ask for "fuel expense"? Might come a bit overpriced though :smile:

• Like 1

Petrol money + tea money. Last time I was visited the officer, nice young man, told me that he had already arrested 19 people in that year, month of February, most of them Africans. They do seem to make an attempt to avoid the impression that they are targeting Africans, and of course a little pocket money is useful. 

Get an envelope ready.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

That's what he said, ค่าน้ำมัน(fuel expense). 1K will be ok I guess....

1k would bring them 400 km at least.

Have two 500 notes, show one and watch reaction :biggrin:

500 Baht fuel is good for about 200 km total (which would be the distance in my case).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

Petrol money + tea money. Last time I was visited the officer, nice young man, told me that he had already arrested 19 people in that year, month of February, most of them Africans. They do seem to make an attempt to avoid the impression that they are targeting Africans, and of course a little pocket money is useful. 

Get an envelope ready.

Can I ask you how much you gave him? Not to be impolite but I absolutely have no idea... I pay 500 baht fuel to get to the city

4 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Can I ask you how much you gave him? Not to be impolite but I absolutely have no idea... I pay 500 baht fuel to get to the city

I think the 500B is more to cover the cost of the return trip, the outbound is free.

3 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Ah, we live in an totally unfurnished house - as we have plans to build our own house soon - We just use clothes rails and plastic storage crates. He asked "Why don't you buy wardrobes?" - None of your f++++g business is it?

I don't know about the advice, he just said that some guys had been caught helping their wives with food stalls, etc. I think it was harmless enough.

Just saying, there are many stories here of immigration officers expecting something or wives suggesting that payment be made, in order for them to disappear, but in my case there was nothing, just wasting 25 mins of my day. I don't think he really asked any relevant questions.  

Ahah that's crazy yeah but it seems many people have fake marriages to stay here long term so maybe they are suspicious because of that. I have a fairly small house so they will maybe take pity on me.

• Haha 1

Did my marriage extension renewal at Rayong immigration yesterday, 5th marriage extension, and we got a phone call lunchtime today that we would be getting a visit in an hours time. The officer was very friendly and even though a witness wasn't required at immigration he requested one at the house so my wife called her friend who had the same officer visit their house last week when my wife was the witness. Had a visit on the first extension and one again last year where the interview was quite uncomfortable with questions about where my money came from but I will say I have never been asked for money during a visit. Also, the immigration office visit yesterday was efficient, in and out in about an hour and a half.

• Like 1

Must say when they came to our house ,they just sat at the dinner table ,had a laugh and a chat for about 15 mins ,then left ,mind you its obvious we have been married for years as there are pictures of us with my family  all over the place ,both here and in the UK and pictures of my family from the UK here with us .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TopDeadSenter said:

They traveled far to meet us. They said it would be between a set of dates, then suddenly one day the phone rang and it was immigration they said they were outside the house and we should let them in. So, they were friendly enough, did a few photos around the house. Made wife and myself sit on our bed and they photographed that. Signed some BS documents. Then hung around for ages, went out for a smoke and came back and hung around, so we got fed up and gave them 1,000B each and suddenly they were super happy and praising me for being such a "good man". Then they left.

The waiting for them was the worst bit, not knowing what day or when they would arrive so essentially we were housebound not wanting to miss them. Wife asked them why we have to do this. Immi guy said because lots of Indians have fake marriages. Neither of us are Indian.

Yeah I'll just hand them the envelope and it will be over... 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

They told my wife to have petrol money 1,500 baht ready for when they come out, 200km return trip.

They came, they took some pictures outside, didn't even come in, collected and left, end of story.

I think 1,000 baht is more than fair if they didn't indicate an amount, coffee and cake will just keep them there longer, and as much as I like seeing their smiling faces when I do my extensions, I wouldn't want to be too close to them, as they also asked for 500 baht on another occasion when we forgot some photos when doing our 3rd extension, no problem said the immigration office, send them to me on LINE and I will download them and put them with the application on Monday, if you contribute to our Christmas fund.

My wife didn't want to as she loathes the corruption here, but I told her to think about it, i.e. it would be another 200km round trip for us on Monday to drop off the photo's, petrol and a minimum 3 hours driving and waiting, give them the 500 baht and look at it as a business transaction, besides it's chicken feed ????

Now all they get are cakes and always look our way when we walk in to make sure that my wife's homemade cakes have arrived and are to die for, never asked for money since.

• Like 1